Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 22 October 2020, 11:38   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Jetset
Make: Demon Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 225 Opti
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 75
Petrol extraction

Any recommendations for kit for petrol extraction?

Fuel tank is below the deck, so need a long hose to go down the filler tube to the bottom of the tank.

Many of the units for sale arenít suitable for petrol. Was thinking a drill operated pump with some lengths of hose would work best (Halfords) but again not recommended for petrol use
__________________

__________________
Bjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 12:23   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Nautica/ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115/ Honda 100
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjohnson View Post
Any recommendations for kit for petrol extraction?

Fuel tank is below the deck, so need a long hose to go down the filler tube to the bottom of the tank.

Many of the units for sale arenít suitable for petrol. Was thinking a drill operated pump with some lengths of hose would work best (Halfords) but again not recommended for petrol use
Over the years i think this has become my hobby ha ha ,
if your boat is on a trailer it really helps ! ...... raise the front high as poss ,take the fuel supply pipe off the inlet to filter ,join it to your outlet pipe to your cans ,if you can run the pipe out thru your boat drain plug hole (so your cans are on the floor behind the boat ) ,this helps not to have to go too high ,into you can /cans ,use a squidgy pump or suck it if you fancy to get syphoning going , if your not satisfied with the drain from this method the sender unit is a much better option than the filler imo but may be worth having a sheet of gasket paper or cork handy to renew gasket
__________________

__________________
Orwell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 13:07   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 406
Many things not recommended for Petrol Use work just fine...... All part of the Nanny State..

Get a Jiggle syphon from ebay and if necessary replace the pipe with a longer piect of hose pipe
__________________
smallribber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 13:12   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
Many things not recommended for Petrol Use work just fine...... All part of the Nanny State..
And yet some of the others will:
  • leach something out the plastic and contaminate your fuel
  • gradually be damaged by the fuel and then fail
  • put fuel and sparks in the same place risking dying in a flaming ball of file or worse the boat getting damaged

Unless you are prepared to offer a warranty against engine damage, failed products or injury I'd suggest not encouraging people to use an unsuitable product.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 13:15   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
And yet some of the others will:
  • leach something out the plastic and contaminate your fuel
  • gradually be damaged by the fuel and then fail
  • put fuel and sparks in the same place risking dying in a flaming ball of file or worse the boat getting damaged

Unless you are prepared to offer a warranty against engine damage, failed products or injury I'd suggest not encouraging people to use an unsuitable product.
Of course I will offer such a warranty
__________________
smallribber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 13:49   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Jetset
Make: Demon Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 225 Opti
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 75
Thanks. I should have clarified further - boat is an 7m rib with a below deck fuel tank, so my only access to the tank is at the console end via the fuel filler aperture. I’ll need a decent length hose to drop into the tank and some contraptions for pumping it out.

I could do it via the fuel filter and priming bulb but could be a long job!

Ive had a breather pipe fail so not sure if there has been any water under the deck that’s found its way into the tank and would now be sitting at the bottom of the tank where the main pick up will be. It’s a 150l tank so not sure how much i;ll need to pump out!
__________________
Bjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 14:03   #7
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjohnson View Post
Thanks. I should have clarified further - boat is an 7m rib with a below deck fuel tank, so my only access to the tank is at the console end via the fuel filler aperture. Iíll need a decent length hose to drop into the tank and some contraptions for pumping it out.

I could do it via the fuel filter and priming bulb but could be a long job!

Ive had a breather pipe fail so not sure if there has been any water under the deck thatís found its way into the tank and would now be sitting at the bottom of the tank where the main pick up will be. Itís a 150l tank so not sure how much i;ll need to pump out!
Be far easier to check if there is water using the primer (and presumably you have a separator/filter) and then decide if you really need to solve this.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 14:56   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Nautica/ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115/ Honda 100
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Over the years i think this has become my hobby ha ha ,
if your boat is on a trailer it really helps ! ...... raise the front high as poss ,take the fuel supply pipe off the inlet to filter ,join it to your outlet pipe to your cans ,if you can run the pipe out thru your boat drain plug hole (so your cans are on the floor behind the boat ) ,this helps not to have to go too high ,into you can /cans ,use a squidgy pump or suck it if you fancy to get syphoning going , if your not satisfied with the drain from this method the sender unit is a much better option than the filler imo but may be worth having a sheet of gasket paper or cork handy to renew gasket
I am starting to see why people have given up trying to help people ,my tank is 235 litres ,but you can tell with a pint glass if you have a water problem ,i drained 180 litres out and put 179 litres back in ,science of water and fuel density is pretty well documented
__________________
Orwell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 14:58   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Jetset
Make: Demon Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 225 Opti
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Be far easier to check if there is water using the primer (and presumably you have a separator/filter) and then decide if you really need to solve this.
Thatís good advice, so pump some fuel through the system and into a container and see whether thereís any water showing up in the separator?
__________________
Bjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 15:51   #10
Member
 
neil.mccrirrick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,117
Water is denser than petrol so will come through first
__________________
I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there.
neil.mccrirrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 16:11   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,326
RIBase
Just buy an 12v inline fuel pump found on eBay
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 16:21   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger
Make: Ribcraft / Delta
Length: 5m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 666
Its very simple if your rib is out of the water. How does petrol get from your under deck tank to your engine?? Presumably through a fuel line from the (bottom) of the tank (via a fuel pickup tube welded internally within the tank) through a fuel hose to the engine. Simply remove the fuel hose from the engine attach a rubber fuel primer bulb and another length of fuel hose. Start pumping the fuel primer bulb and hold the end of the hose below the boat hull (outside of the boat!) and fuel will flow out. Am I missing something? Perhaps you have installed pipeless on your boat?
__________________
diver 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 16:28   #13
Member
 
A1an's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fort William
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F80
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,447
RIBase
Long length of fuel pipe with primer bulb on one end, stick pipe to bottom of you tankand primer bulb end lower than bottom of tank, start lifting fuel out using primer bulb, once fuel reaches the bulb you can pull it off and let gravity do the rest.
__________________
There is a place on this planet for all of Gods creatures.........right next to my tatties and gravy.
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 17:22   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 420
Can you rig a filler cap which you can apply low pressure air such as from a car tyre?
Gunsons easy bleed uses a similar system.
__________________
Limecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 01:47   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 406
I had the same issue with one of my speed boats.

The main issue is that the fuel pick up is not always at the very bottom of the tank and is always a little off the bottom.

As Orwell Boy says hand pump using the Primer Bulb some into a clear plastic bottle and let it settle for a very short while. This will show you if you have any water at the bottom of the tank.

See the pic below of the water I got out Initially.

After I pumped out (using the primer bulb about 2 ltrs I had goog clean petrol.

This boat has been used several times since and no issues in this regard now.

As others said to be extra sure and to allow for any water that could have been below the pick up that might slosh about in use fit a water separating filter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	petrol.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	135473  
__________________
smallribber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 01:50   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 406
Th vast bulk of the petrol in you tank will be ok as water and petrol do not mix for more than a few seconds. Any water will be at the bottom.

The outboard on this particular boat was a premix 2 stroke as you can see from the petrol colour. The good petrol in the volvic bottle went back in the tank
__________________
smallribber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 04:24   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Kent
Boat name: KB350
Make: Elling
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 8HP
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 143
I was waiting for the petrol in lemonade bottles...it had to appear
__________________
Oldman2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 04:31   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
I was waiting for the petrol in lemonade bottles...it had to appear
Different use for the Bottle this time
__________________
smallribber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 06:16   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 140HP
MMSI: 235115642
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,196
RIBase
Did you find the Volvic bottle or do you have to empty them out to fill them with petrol?
__________________
GuyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 14:11   #20
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,984
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
The main issue is that the fuel pick up is not always at the very bottom of the tank and is always a little off the bottom.
No, they aren't - see mine below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
Th vast bulk of the petrol in you tank will be ok as water and petrol do not mix for more than a few seconds. Any water will be at the bottom.
Except that "petrol" is now E5 or E10. Water and ethanol are miscible.

Is there a "spout" on that Volvic bottle, Plumby?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pickup2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	135477  
__________________

__________________
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.