Old 24 October 2020, 20:59   #41

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
It’s a really good point. I did not research the mtbf of the bmw fuel pump against its actual life and carry out fmea based on nippers right foot. What I do know is around half hour after nipper set off with his free fuel, he called to say his car was kangarooing. He then came home on a recovery truck later that night. I was too cheap to pay for someone to fix it, therefore I took the back seats out, extracted the fuel and water deposits with my own hands. Once re assembled it didn’t runs And it was apparent the pump was f”@ked. The pump cost similar to the fuel so Lloyd’s bank can confirm it cost me shed loads.

All because of an aging cork gasket and a silly recesss scorpion put in the top of their tanks, which collects water exactly where the inspection hatch and gasket sit.

The other surprise was my inline water fuel separator bowl was only part full of water. Yet the engine shut down with water in fuel alarm and I never left river speed.
Old 24 October 2020, 21:12   #42

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
It’s a really good point. I did not research the mtbf of the bmw fuel pump against its actual life and carry out fmea based on nippers right foot. What I do know is around half hour after nipper set off with his free fuel, he called to say his car was kangarooing. He then came home on a recovery truck later that night. I was too cheap to pay for someone to fix it, therefore I took the back seats out, extracted the fuel and water deposits with my own hands. Once re assembled it didn’t runs And it was apparent the pump was f”@ked. The pump cost similar to the fuel so Lloyd’s bank can confirm it cost me shed loads.

All because of an aging cork gasket and a silly recesss scorpion put in the top of their tanks, which collects water exactly where the inspection hatch and gasket sit.

The other surprise was my inline water fuel separator bowl was only part full of water. Yet the engine shut down with water in fuel alarm and I never left river speed.
It must have been pretty badly contaminated to damage the fuel pump in 30 mins, I'd expect it to pump pure water for that long without issue. It would be more believable it choked the filter in 30 mins & shut down because of it but I suspect the pump was more likely damaged during the strip down
Their both liquids, why would pumping a different liquid damage the pump?
Old 24 October 2020, 21:26   #43
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I put a litre in a steel wheelbarrow to burn it off several years ago... took a surprisingly long time to burn it all, flames were rather impressive height.
Yeah, too much surface area. You want a small steel pot of about 5-10 litres. I use an old helium cylinder wi the heid cut aff.
Old 24 October 2020, 22:06   #44

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Yeah, too much surface area. You want a small steel pot of about 5-10 litres. I use an old helium cylinder wi the heid cut aff.

I’ve got a half “J” of He sat in my shed from my Trimix days[emoji849]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 10:00   #45

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
It must have been pretty badly contaminated to damage the fuel pump in 30 mins, I'd expect it to pump pure water for that long without issue. It would be more believable it choked the filter in 30 mins & shut down because of it but I suspect the pump was more likely damaged during the strip down
Their both liquids, why would pumping a different liquid damage the pump?
My fuel was a write off. I should have never tried to rescue it.
Old 28 October 2020, 00:00   #46

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
Many things not recommended for Petrol Use work just fine...... All part of the Nanny State..

Get a Jiggle syphon from ebay and if necessary replace the pipe with a longer piect of hose pipe
I’d risk a lot of things in the workshop but trying to pump petrol with a pump not designed for petrol is a really dumb idea and a recipe for a big disaster.
Old 28 October 2020, 22:48   #47

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post

Even the small amount I had (approx 3 ltrs) is still sitting in an old can with me wondering what to do with it one day
Burn it
Old 29 October 2020, 12:21   #48

Town: Chelmsford
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
I’d risk a lot of things in the workshop but trying to pump petrol with a pump not designed for petrol is a really dumb idea and a recipe for a big disaster.
Its not a Pump it is a jiggle syphon
Old 30 October 2020, 12:07   #49

Boat name: Jetset
Make: Demon Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 225 Opti
Blimey, you lot have been busy since my initial post

Im visiting the boat this weekend. Have a new 4" access hatch to fit to improve access to the tank connections, a new length of fuel hose to fit to the breather connection (that failed) and new stainless hose clamps.

I've got simple hand transfer pump and hose so will extract a litre or two and let stand in a bottle to see if theres any water in the fuel, while i replace hoses.
I have a water separator and filter fitted in the fuel system but want to check the fuel before i start pumping it through that.

I'm hoping theres not too big an issue, but will find out tomorrow. If all goes well, i need to get the engine serviced and winterised on sunday, - fingers crossed.
Old 30 October 2020, 16:30   #50
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjohnson View Post
Blimey, you lot have been busy since my initial post
You're not Big 'ol Johnson by any chance?