Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Petrol £1.20 a litre

This isn't good news

the cost of petrol could reach £1.20 by the end of December

http://www.lovemoney.com/news/ways-t...hird-4140.aspx

I don't think it is going to affect the smaller ribs out for a weekend blast, but those big fuel guzzling monsters might notice it.

Pete
Old 13 November 2009, 10:14   #2

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
The beauty of a 60 hp engine
Old 13 November 2009, 10:53   #3

Town: Sunshine Coast, Aus.
Boat name: Rubber Dolly
Make: Ribtec 585
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury F115 Efi
Bloody outrageous isn't it. The Aussies are currently paying around the same in dollars, which even given the pitiful state of the pound is still only 66p. And that hasn;t changed (in dollars) for at least three years - at the $2.20/£1.00 I got wheni was there in 2005, it worked out 56p......

And thats despite the fact that the distribution must cost more, and theres a fraction the number of cars.

Rip off Britian.....
Old 13 November 2009, 13:02   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
It is only Rip Off Britain where TAX is concerned - things like computer parts - pallet deliveries etc etc are so cut throat its shocking.

Of course the price of fuel pushes everything up - food - clothing - everything.

Current petrol price without TAX is about 42p!!!

I remember people on low incomes getting so excited when Labour introduced the minimum wage - they didn't realise what they give with the right hand they snatch back with the left!!!
Old 13 November 2009, 13:14   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post

I remember people on low incomes getting so ecited when Labour introduced the minimum wage - they didn't realise what they give with the right hand they snatch back with the left!!!
Indeed...
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 13:39   #6

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Mariner 75
Not good - although I seem to remember that the fuel barge in Salcombe was charging around £1.65 a litre in July - which meant that all subsequent purchases were from a local garage instead !
Old 13 November 2009, 16:43   #7

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Another reason for visiting the Channel Islands: fuel is currently 58p a litre in Jersey.
Old 13 November 2009, 17:03   #8

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
The grass is always greener......

except when it isn't. Direct comparisons to other countries don't neccessarily tell the full story.

F'r example, petrol in my farflung part of Canada is about $1.15 a litre, thats about 70p at todays exchange rate. Cheap eh? Well perhaps not. As a % of disposable income its proportionately higher than when I was in the UK. Add to that the fact that in North America we don't get fuel efficient small diesels, so the 2002 Nissan Frontier (aka Navarra) doublecab truck I run has a thirsty 3.3V6 rather than a nice 2.8 TD, which means I buy more petrol than I really want to!

Tax on petrol in the UK is a killer to be sure. But who else is the Govt to pay for bailing out the financial system and implementing world class red tape, 'elf and safety & one cctv camera for every man, woman, child of the population?
Old 13 November 2009, 20:12   #9

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 150 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
except when it isn't. Direct comparisons to other countries don't neccessarily tell the full story.

F'r example, petrol in my farflung part of Canada is about $1.15 a litre, thats about 70p at todays exchange rate. Cheap eh? Well perhaps not. As a % of disposable income its proportionately higher than when I was in the UK. Add to that the fact that in North America we don't get fuel efficient small diesels, so the 2002 Nissan Frontier (aka Navarra) doublecab truck I run has a thirsty 3.3V6 rather than a nice 2.8 TD, which means I buy more petrol than I really want to!

Tax on petrol in the UK is a killer to be sure. But who else is the Govt to pay for bailing out the financial system and implementing world class red tape, 'elf and safety & one cctv camera for every man, woman, child of the population?
all govts manipulate us financially to suit their agenda,the australians have my sympathy because they have just elected a labour govt and they have the mass immigration and inflated taxation which ensues to contend with, i would not want to be emigrating to australia in the next 10 years or so
Old 13 November 2009, 22:09   #10

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
all govts manipulate us financially to suit their agenda,the australians have my sympathy because they have just elected a labour govt and they have the mass immigration and inflated taxation which ensues to contend with, i would not want to be emigrating to australia in the next 10 years or so

Tell me about it - my mate emigrated to Perth about 18 months ago because he'd had enough of what Labour had done to this country - now the same shit is starting over there!!!
Old 14 November 2009, 09:40   #11

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Everyone will get their chance to voice their opinion at the next general election and vote for their particular party - where it may or may not bring about change. Any new incoming government will however have their hands tied - hence the reason they're not promoting a 'wish list' of change.

Trouble is, the UK is fooked. Our bail-out of the banks has seen borrowing rise at unprecedented level. The UK is paying £5.9 billion a month in interest charges alone.

Back to fuel again, short of converting your car to run on chip-fat, we're over a barrel on this one. Driving efficiently (55-65mph), (remove that horrendous Halfords roofbox - which looks like an Samsonite case on steroids), don't carry excess weight, ensure car is serviced regularly, tyre pressures at correct level, and walk where possible.

Any pennies saved can be spent on your boat. At this rate that will be about 2 minutes at full throttle!
Old 16 November 2009, 11:59   #12

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
It is only Rip Off Britain where TAX is concerned - things like computer parts - pallet deliveries etc etc are so cut throat its shocking.

Of course the price of fuel pushes everything up - food - clothing - everything.

Current petrol price without TAX is about 42p!!!

I remember people on low incomes getting so excited when Labour introduced the minimum wage - they didn't realise what they give with the right hand they snatch back with the left!!!
Its the subtle changes that get my back up.

Quote" The chances of a change in the pre-1973 Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) exemption to a more sensible rolling 25-year system took a major blow recently, when the government reiterated its desire to leave things as they are... despite the protestations of over 14,000 classic car fans.

The online petition, set up by classic enthusiast Samuel Nelson and championed by classic insureres, Footman James, called for the Government, 'to change the tax exemption laws for historic motor cars', and encouraging a return to the rolling 25-year tax-break, dropped in 1997.
Old 16 November 2009, 17:21   #13
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Is it not Jan 1st when the VAT goes back up to 17.5%... should help it along to £1.20 a bit quicker.
Old 18 November 2009, 22:30   #14

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 2st 90
We've been paying more than that over here for years so we'll be looking at £1.50 plus. God damn sometimes I wish I had kept that 60 HP NOT.

Ian
Old 22 November 2009, 16:16   #15

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
it was explained to me last week that this latest amount pumped in to the banks is 36 billion (and its the third time they have done this), now 36 billion is 36 thousand million, just an unbeliveable amount of our money.

36 thousand million - there is trouble ahead bouys!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Everyone will get their chance to voice their opinion at the next general election and vote for their particular party - where it may or may not bring about change. Any new incoming government will however have their hands tied - hence the reason they're not promoting a 'wish list' of change.

Trouble is, the UK is fooked. Our bail-out of the banks has seen borrowing rise at unprecedented level. The UK is paying £5.9 billion a month in interest charges alone.

Back to fuel again, short of converting your car to run on chip-fat, we're over a barrel on this one. Driving efficiently (55-65mph), (remove that horrendous Halfords roofbox - which looks like an Samsonite case on steroids), don't carry excess weight, ensure car is serviced regularly, tyre pressures at correct level, and walk where possible.

Any pennies saved can be spent on your boat. At this rate that will be about 2 minutes at full throttle!