Old 01 July 2006, 10:18   #1

Town: Thurso
Make: Gemini Zapcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Send a message via MSN to bobbyjoeufb
Personal Insurance

Can any one recommend an Insurance Company that would cover personal insurance for sports like kayaking and Powerboating.

I have found plenty of sites that offer it for holidays but none that offer it all year round.
Old 01 July 2006, 14:48   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
insurance to cover what? injury to yourself? injury to others? death? damage to the boat etc?

Normally the policy is based on the boat rather than the driver.

Can't see someone insuring you for hurting yourself - as you have control of that! Since the NHS picks up the bill then the only impact of hurting yourself is potential loss of earnings - and I think this can be covered although many people would dispute its value, an insurance broker should be able to advise. You may have to disclose any high risk activities. Similarly with life cover.

Injury to others is normally covered under the 3rd party risks attached to the boat. Beware of limitations if you pull skiers/toys, with some policies.

So I suspect you will need to insure the boat and the kayak separately (although kayak should be relatively cheap).
If you are looking for some specific marine cover then I would suggest porthcawl as first point of contact - but there are others, and many threads here on the topic.
Old 02 July 2006, 11:25   #3

Town: Thurso
Make: Gemini Zapcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Send a message via MSN to bobbyjoeufb
I am looking for insurance to cover myself for injury/death/loss of earnings. for the two sports I have been able to find a company that will cover Kayaking and it covers for Accidental Death, Permanent Disability, Loss of Earnings, Hopsital Benefit, Consultant Fees, Physiotherapy fees, Dental Fees, Rescue / Search Fees for £60 a year but not found one to cover powerboating.

I have already sorted out the insurance for the boat but that does not cover me for loss of earnings.