Old 15 January 2007, 18:30   #1

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Perfect Storm X 2

Has anyone heard about the two large trawlers lost of South Coast of Ireland a few days ago. I was away in USA and didnt catch all the news.
It appears that two trawlers were lost at least one of them apparently had a big catch of Herring and went under in 3 minutes, the other went apparently some 60 miles east of first by Hook Head (a very Rough place due to 3 river "Barrow, Nore and Suir also called the three sisters)flow out of Waterford Harbour, or close to Dunmore East).

It seems that a big wave is responsible for this with the loss of up to 7 lives.

Can Anyone add to this. They have not been able to dive found wreck in 30 Meters due to weather. could be up to 5 bodies on it.

It reminds me of the film "Perfect Storm" X 2
Old 15 January 2007, 19:39   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Aidan

Sorry, haven't heard about the trawlers, but would like to reccomend the perfect storm book.

I read it about two years before the film came out and could not put it down.
First couple of chapters are historical accounts of grand banks fishing and the dangers involved, then the true story itself.
A must read for anyone interested in the sea.

Nasher.
Old 15 January 2007, 20:01   #3

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
A sad day for Irish Fisherman

Ubfortunately the stories are true

1 The Pere Charles sank on her return journey to Dunmore East, very close to hook head last wed evening. She was travelling in company of another trawler and asked them to standby. They looked at their radar and the other trawler vanished. In what was a very fast sinking the trawler sank within seconds with five men on board. Divers are in situ on standby waiting for weather conditions to ease to recover the bodies from the sunken vessell.

2. Thursday night seen the Kinsale based trawler Honeydew 2 sink after being hit by a wave estimated by yhe survivors to have been fifteen metres high. Two non nationals made it to one of the liferafts and were rescued 20 hours later. The Honeydew was hove-to having being fishing near Mine head. They had tried to make their way back to Kinsale but the weather forced themm to stall their efforts. Two men are still mssing.

Our prayers and well wishes go out to all the family and friends of all involved.
Old 15 January 2007, 20:02   #4

Yeah I have sen the film a few times and I guess the detail on the Grand banks must be good.
Personally I enjoy the "Dangerous Catch" series on Barent sea if it was not so staged.

Yes there was some freak wave that downed two large trawlers within a few minutes or an hour of each other less that 50 miles apart. One off Kinsale and the Other off Hook Head I think.
Again I was away and I am putting the jigsaw together. There are two survivors from one of the boats that went down in three minutes.
How does one of these large trawlers go dosn in three minutes.
This freak wave was in the middle of force 8 sea so it would have been rough enough.
Old 15 January 2007, 20:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgoing View Post
Ubfortunately the stories are true

1 The Pere Charles sank on her return journey to Dunmore East, weather conditions to ease to recover the bodies from the sunken vessell.

2. Thursday night seen the Kinsale based trawler Honeydew 2 sink after being hit by a wave estimated by yhe survivors to have been fifteen metres high.

Our prayers and well wishes go out to all the family and friends of all involved.
Thanks for Info Eazi Going, was away ann only pieced together bits.

So it was different nights and not the same wave (although 15 meters is well up there)