Old 08 January 2015, 23:27   #1

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Pembrokeshire. Local knowledge required!

The Leader of the Opposition has consented to a week in Pembrokeshire this September which is a place I've never been, but want to visit...

So, outline plan is to put the RIB into Neyland Marina for the week, which should allow us to piddle about in the haven/river if it's blowin' old boots, but head out to Skomer, Tenby, etc, etc when it's crackin' flags.

The questions for the massive (or anyone with local knowledge) therefore are:

What/where are the 'must see/do' items?

Where are the BEST restaurants located?

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of an excellent self-catering cottage in the area that's within easy striking distance of Neyland Marina? I ask because there's a lot of 'tired' looking ones on tinternet holiday cottage websites...

If Razorbill reads this, the link to your self-catering cottage from the Safari website leads to a holiday cottage booking company that don't have your property listed! :face palm: Just thought you might like to know.
Old 09 January 2015, 00:40   #2
Dhf

Length: no boat
I know Bern Hanreck (forum member) highly recommends Neyland Court B&B, which is very close to the marina.
Home
or
MARINA HOUSE (Free Wi-Fi): 1 Bedroom luxury apt attached to a modern Villa overlooking ... | HomeAway

As for lunch there's always the Jolly Sailor with pontoon, just around the corner from Neyland,
The Jolly Sailor, Burton Pembrokeshire

For just a few places of interest for the moment, you may like some of the places I've visited over the past few years, most of which are on my Pembrokeshire Coast-O-Graphs flickr collection.
Hope you enjoy your visit.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125562668@N06/
Old 09 January 2015, 08:12   #3

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
There is a pub called the Griffin Inn in Dale which (they told me) owns 200 lobster pots in and around Dale. They have a fantastic selection of fresh fish and lobster dishes for a very good price.

We stay every year in Little Haven, just the other side of the headland from Dale. There's a small place called The St. Brides Inn which sold 1/2 Little Haven lobster dishes for £6 last year and were fantastic. Also The Castle pub in little haven does nice 'pubby' food.

The Swan Inn (again in little haven) used to be fantastic but after last year seems to have gone down hill which was a huge shame.

There's a small place call The Shed in Porthgain which again is a fantastic little place.

Enjoy! Pembroke is a beautiful part of the country, especially by sea!
Old 09 January 2015, 08:15   #4

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
And we have in the past used Coastal Cottages for self catering accommodation. We stayed in Tree Cottage but there are a few barn style conversions in Talbenny, but might be further than you wish to go each day.
Old 09 January 2015, 08:28   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhf View Post
I know Bern Hanreck (forum member) highly recommends Neyland Court B&B, which is very close to the marina.
Home
or
MARINA HOUSE (Free Wi-Fi): 1 Bedroom luxury apt attached to a modern Villa overlooking ... | HomeAway

As for lunch there's always the Jolly Sailor with pontoon, just around the corner from Neyland,
The Jolly Sailor, Burton Pembrokeshire

For just a few places of interest for the moment, you may like some of the places I've visited over the past few years, most of which are on my Pembrokeshire Coast-O-Graphs flickr collection.
Hope you enjoy your visit.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125562668@N06/
Great stuff, much appreciated and I'll take a detailed look over the weekend. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by blootac View Post
There is a pub called the Griffin Inn in Dale which (they told me) owns 200 lobster pots in and around Dale. They have a fantastic selection of fresh fish and lobster dishes for a very good price.

We stay every year in Little Haven, just the other side of the headland from Dale. There's a small place called The St. Brides Inn which sold 1/2 Little Haven lobster dishes for £6 last year and were fantastic. Also The Castle pub in little haven does nice 'pubby' food.

The Swan Inn (again in little haven) used to be fantastic but after last year seems to have gone down hill which was a huge shame.

There's a small place call The Shed in Porthgain which again is a fantastic little place.

Enjoy! Pembroke is a beautiful part of the country, especially by sea!
Brilliant. Just the kind of info I was after and thanks for sharing. Appreciate it.
Old 09 January 2015, 09:06   #6

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of an excellent self-catering cottage in the area that's within easy striking distance of Neyland Marina? I ask because there's a lot of 'tired' looking ones on tinternet holiday cottage websites...

Will pass you details of a nice cottage (recently converted) which belongs to one of our crew..... A stones throw from the marina....

If Razorbill reads this, the link to your self-catering cottage from the Safari website leads to a holiday cottage booking company that don't have your property listed! :face palm: Just thought you might like to know.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, will update..... Ours is too far for you (40 miles) and too large..... 7 bedrooms....

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2015, 09:34   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
If the weather is kind, The Smalls is a must do, along with Grassholm on the way. If the weather is minging, The Sloop in Porthgain is a suitable refuge (though it's 10 years or so since I was there) Porthgain is worth a visit in it's self, either by road or boat (make sure you enter on the rising tide, as it dries) interesting place & the entrance from the sea is hidden by towering cliffs.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2015, 10:30   #8

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
[QUOTE=Razorbill RIBs;662578]Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of an excellent self-catering cottage in the area that's within easy striking distance of Neyland Marina? I ask because there's a lot of 'tired' looking ones on tinternet holiday cottage websites...

Will pass you details of a nice cottage (recently converted) which belongs to one of our crew..... A stones throw from the marina....

Here we are: Holiday Cottage in Sardis, Nr. Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, Wales W1899

Phil is the owner, he built /operated 'Sabre Tooth' a charter boat out of Neyland....and excellent source of local knowledge....also has parking for your trailer etc.....

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2015, 11:12   #9

RIBase
[QUOTE=Razorbill RIBs;662583]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbill RIBs View Post

Here we are: Holiday Cottage in Sardis, Nr. Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, Wales W1899

Phil is the owner, he built /operated 'Sabre Tooth' a charter boat out of Neyland....and excellent source of local knowledge....also has parking for your trailer etc.....

Great stuff Dan, thank you
Old 09 January 2015, 23:27   #10

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
You must take the RIB through jacks sound; but consult a chart, grab some local knowledge and take clean underwear.
Old 10 January 2015, 00:14   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
You must take the RIB through jacks sound; but consult a chart, grab some local knowledge and take clean underwear.
Yeah, that's on my list Daniel. Best tell the Leader of the Opposition not to go commando on that day I guess
Old 10 January 2015, 04:02   #12

Town: St Davids
Boat name: Mellifera
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
RIBase
I can’t help with any places to stay in Milford or Neyland but these are the places we like to go and places we like to eat.

Not water related and not quite in Pembs but the National Botanical Gardens are good and worth a visit if only to have lunch at Y Polen (Y Polyn) which is nearby and very, very good.

From North to south…

Newport Pembs is also worth a visit either via land or sea. Pretty (although touristy in summer) and quite a few good places to eat Llys Meddyg (Llys Meddyg | Restaurant with Rooms, Newport, Pembrokeshire | Wales) has got to be up there as one of the best places in eat in county. The Golden Lion pub is also nice and has a good atmosphere.

Fishguard isn’t probably worth a visit in itself but if you are passing the Lounge is supposed to be good food and there is a new café that I can’t remember the same of 

Porthgain is next, as already mentioned very pretty and well worth a visit. Stunning coastline either on foot or by sea and close to Abbereidi/blue lagoon. Although the carpark is now all but gone the walk from Abbereidi to Porthgain and back is a fantastic walk and just the right length to get a thirst on for a pint at Porthgain. Eating wise, the sloop (The Sloop Inn, Porthgain) isn’t what it was ten years ago but it is hard to beat a beer on its sunny terrace. The Shed (The Shed Fish and Chip Bistro Porthgain Pembrokeshire) is better in my opinion, especially their beer batter fish and chips 

St Davids is next, the city itself is well worth a visit with the cathedral and shops. Not as many places as you would expect to eat though. The cwtch (cwtch* Restaurant St Davids - Pembrokeshire) is good although I haven’t tried it since it has changed hands. Crug Glas (Crug Glas Country House Boutique Hotel, St Davids, Pembs) is probably the city’s best place to eat at the moment. Nice coastline to explore with the boat, some exceptionally pretty beaches that you can access with your rib, Ramsey Island, the bitches, wildlife, cliffs….

If you come up this way by boat, drop me a line as I would be more than happy to meet up and go for a blast as my boat is kept in the water at Porthclais.

Solva is next, pretty harbour and pretty coastline. Nice places to eat but nowhere exceptional.

Everything south of here should be in easy reach of Milford or Neyland, Druidstone hotel (DRUIDSTONE) is quirky place to eat with good food and good views. Little haven as already mentioned is pretty, I agree other, the Swan isn’t as good as it was.

Nice coastline all the way to the entrance of the haven though with Skomer, Jack sound, Gateholm and Skolkholm. All well worth exploring as are the smalls as all ready mentioned.

South of the Haven is also very pretty with cliffs around St Govens and pretty coastline all the way to Tenby. Barafundle bay is lovely as are the lilly ponds at Bosh. I haven’t really eaten down that way much so can’t recommend many places. As per Milford and Neyland, I think it is fair to say that they don’t exactly exude the beauty that pembs is famous for .

Here is quite a funny and apt quote from Is Milford Haven Britain's Strangest Town? - Sabotage Times

“I grew up in the Welsh equivalent of Freeport, a former fishing port that I’ve always assumed was God’s idea of a practical joke, played on those unfortunate enough to have to live there. No-one quite as famous as Lou Reed grew up in Milford Haven but that’s not to say it’s a been a complete dead loss in birthing celebrities. The 17th Century pirate Howell Davis was born there. Not that he was much cop at pirating, his career lasting only eleven months before the Portuguese lured him into an ambush, plied him with cheap wine, and shot him in the nuts. George Winter, who had a small part in 1979’s Scum, was also born there. Not forgetting the contralto Helen Watts who made a name for herself singing opera and who was awarded the CBE in 1978. Milford Haven folk often claim best-selling lesbian novelist Sarah Waters as one of their own although Waters was actually born and raised in nearby Neyland, a place even more deadly dull than Milford Haven.
If a visitor was to ask a resident of Milford Haven to describe the place he would most likely be told, “It’s basically a few square miles of sweet fuck all, with quite a nice beach attached.” Truthfully, you could spend a night there and it would feel like an entire year. Great God, it’s an awful place.”

There are not really many places of any merit to eat. The Indian in the marina, Bucci Bar is good and I have heard good things have been said about Halen Mor also in the marina.

One last place, not costal but Narbeth is probably worth a visit if you are travelling with your better half. Really good independent shops and Ultracomida (ultracomida delicatessen in Narberth) a really, really good deli with bistro out the back.

Well that’s it. Sorry for the novel but hope there some bits that help.
Old 10 January 2015, 04:32   #13

Town: Copenhagen
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp OB
I would say that Tenby is a 'must visit' for a day trip round Caldey island and the area. Tenby is a beautiful town. Launching at nearby Saundersfoot can be easier though as the slip is better.
Old 10 January 2015, 05:47   #14

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonStDavids View Post
I can’t help with any places to stay in Milford or Neyland but these are the places we like to go and places we like to eat.

Not water related and not quite in Pembs but the National Botanical Gardens are good and worth a visit if only to have lunch at Y Polen (Y Polyn) which is nearby and very, very good.

From North to south…

Newport Pembs is also worth a visit either via land or sea. Pretty (although touristy in summer) and quite a few good places to eat Llys Meddyg (Llys Meddyg | Restaurant with Rooms, Newport, Pembrokeshire | Wales) has got to be up there as one of the best places in eat in county. The Golden Lion pub is also nice and has a good atmosphere.

Fishguard isn’t probably worth a visit in itself but if you are passing the Lounge is supposed to be good food and there is a new café that I can’t remember the same of 

Porthgain is next, as already mentioned very pretty and well worth a visit. Stunning coastline either on foot or by sea and close to Abbereidi/blue lagoon. Although the carpark is now all but gone the walk from Abbereidi to Porthgain and back is a fantastic walk and just the right length to get a thirst on for a pint at Porthgain. Eating wise, the sloop (The Sloop Inn, Porthgain) isn’t what it was ten years ago but it is hard to beat a beer on its sunny terrace. The Shed (The Shed Fish and Chip Bistro Porthgain Pembrokeshire) is better in my opinion, especially their beer batter fish and chips 

St Davids is next, the city itself is well worth a visit with the cathedral and shops. Not as many places as you would expect to eat though. The cwtch (cwtch* Restaurant St Davids - Pembrokeshire) is good although I haven’t tried it since it has changed hands. Crug Glas (Crug Glas Country House Boutique Hotel, St Davids, Pembs) is probably the city’s best place to eat at the moment. Nice coastline to explore with the boat, some exceptionally pretty beaches that you can access with your rib, Ramsey Island, the bitches, wildlife, cliffs….

If you come up this way by boat, drop me a line as I would be more than happy to meet up and go for a blast as my boat is kept in the water at Porthclais.

Solva is next, pretty harbour and pretty coastline. Nice places to eat but nowhere exceptional.

Everything south of here should be in easy reach of Milford or Neyland, Druidstone hotel (DRUIDSTONE) is quirky place to eat with good food and good views. Little haven as already mentioned is pretty, I agree other, the Swan isn’t as good as it was.

Nice coastline all the way to the entrance of the haven though with Skomer, Jack sound, Gateholm and Skolkholm. All well worth exploring as are the smalls as all ready mentioned.

South of the Haven is also very pretty with cliffs around St Govens and pretty coastline all the way to Tenby. Barafundle bay is lovely as are the lilly ponds at Bosh. I haven’t really eaten down that way much so can’t recommend many places. As per Milford and Neyland, I think it is fair to say that they don’t exactly exude the beauty that pembs is famous for .

Here is quite a funny and apt quote from Is Milford Haven Britain's Strangest Town? - Sabotage Times

“I grew up in the Welsh equivalent of Freeport, a former fishing port that I’ve always assumed was God’s idea of a practical joke, played on those unfortunate enough to have to live there. No-one quite as famous as Lou Reed grew up in Milford Haven but that’s not to say it’s a been a complete dead loss in birthing celebrities. The 17th Century pirate Howell Davis was born there. Not that he was much cop at pirating, his career lasting only eleven months before the Portuguese lured him into an ambush, plied him with cheap wine, and shot him in the nuts. George Winter, who had a small part in 1979’s Scum, was also born there. Not forgetting the contralto Helen Watts who made a name for herself singing opera and who was awarded the CBE in 1978. Milford Haven folk often claim best-selling lesbian novelist Sarah Waters as one of their own although Waters was actually born and raised in nearby Neyland, a place even more deadly dull than Milford Haven.
If a visitor was to ask a resident of Milford Haven to describe the place he would most likely be told, “It’s basically a few square miles of sweet fuck all, with quite a nice beach attached.” Truthfully, you could spend a night there and it would feel like an entire year. Great God, it’s an awful place.”

There are not really many places of any merit to eat. The Indian in the marina, Bucci Bar is good and I have heard good things have been said about Halen Mor also in the marina.

One last place, not costal but Narbeth is probably worth a visit if you are travelling with your better half. Really good independent shops and Ultracomida (ultracomida delicatessen in Narberth) a really, really good deli with bistro out the back.

Well that’s it. Sorry for the novel but hope there some bits that help.
Fantastic. Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to put this info together - much appreciated and yep, I'll certainly give you a shout when we're down there and see if we can hook up for a bit of a blast together.

Still trying to decide on the exact September date but, apart from that, I'm now sorted as far as accommodation, launch/recovery site and berth for the week is concerned so thanks to all who've shared their knowledge of the area.

Very much looking forward to visiting one of the few coastal areas of these isles that I haven't yet discovered.
Old 10 January 2015, 23:05   #15
Dhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
She was in a good mood this day !!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5314 - Copy.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	102229  
Old 10 January 2015, 23:52   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhf View Post
She was in a good mood this day !!

Yep, I can imagine the water pours through there at half-tide on Springs...

Great pic
Old 11 January 2015, 00:27   #17
Dhf

Thank you ! and yes it sure runs quick with the big springs, 7kns +
can get very nasty with wind against of course, producing steep waves in all directions, best avoided then, with anything less than 12m loa.
The image above shows safe passage for 4 meter plus draft vessels, you will have more flexible options with a RIB of course, but lookout for lobby pot buoys, there often just submerged with the current, but rarely placed where I placed the passage plan. It's best to explore at slack tide, and never attempt at high speed as holes can appear out of nowhere, There is a speed restriction around the reserve of about 8knts I think. but a little more is acceptable where necessary.
There's also passage through the little sound, I might make a chart for that one and Ramsey tomorrow.
Old 11 January 2015, 20:43   #18

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
There is a very detailed description of the Jack-Sound passage in both the Imray pilot - and in Sea Guide to Pembrokeshire (Imray Seaguide): Amazon.co.uk: Tom Bennett: 9780852889909: Books Tom Bennatt's book above would be a good buy for both pilotage and background reading.
For Jack Sound, read the passage directions in the pilot and follow them to the letter - you'll have no problem then but be in no doubt this place does not take prisoners when the conditions are nasty or if you stray off course.
I may well be around in Sept so drop me a line and I can show you some of the local spots including a trip up to Cresswell Quay if you like.
I'm currently working in Cheshire and renting not far from you so drop me a PM if you fancy a beer and a natter about Ribs & Pembrokeshire.
Old 17 January 2015, 14:00   #19

Town: Milford Haven
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
If you do find there's a cracking day weatherwise, a trip south of the county is well worth it too, passing Fresh West, Broad Haven, Barafundle etc... and then Tenby. Milford to Tenby is approx 35NM.
Before you turn left at the heads though, it's worth checking the range status first or you could get in to a whole lot of trouble with the MOD.
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/firing-notice
Look for Castlemartin, Penally, Manorbier - probably worth giving Milford CG a shout in the morning first to confirm there's no firing in place too.

This is what Little Sound at Skomer is like during a good Spring tide -

and around Skomer the west side

Jon may remember this one

You can check what the weather's doing live at St Anns Head by looking here also:
St Anns Weather Online
still working on the wave height bit, but should be sorted in the next couple of months.

If it's blowing a gale, I'd stick to land visits. It wasn't very nice down at St Anns this week and even the Pilot Boat was airbourne a bit