Click Here to Login

Old 31 August 2010, 07:32   #1

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
PB2 and Maiden voyage - sorry no pics!

Finally got out yesterday for the first time in the Searider having done the PB2 last week. Really enjoyed this and learnt more in 2 days pootling round a marina and out at sea than years of summer holidays driving the old man's ski boat in the med. As there was a problem with the rib we had to use the 28ft cruiser but this was a blessing in some ways as it was more a handful in the tide/wind and out in the moderate sea - school is giving us a half-day on the rib later as goodwill too. Cannot recommend the PB2 enough - hard to think people with no experience would go to sea without it.

We launched from Rye after deliberating about the suitability of the F4/5 and 5knt flood tide we were going into but by the time we went for it things had settled down a lot and the maiden trailer launch (and later recovery) was not too bad - learnt a few lessons for next time to make it less of a palaver!

Out to sea for an hour and in the limited time we had did a few MOB drills etc and a few blasts I can see why people go for ribs - seemd to just float over stuff the hard boats I've been used to would have crashed through.

Has a slight engine warning issue but popped that Q in the engine section of the forum.

Anyway, hopefully get some pics next time in all the excitement.
Old 31 August 2010, 11:13   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Cool!

I know what you mean about the faffing at launch / revcovery. One thing I did early on was to put an inline connector to the lighting board about a foot from the board - it means you then have a manky plank & a separate bit of wire to remove, which is surprisingly quicker than having to dance with the whole lot in one go. Also makes it easier to route the cable when setting up for the tow.

It's a continual learning process, but a fun one!
Old 31 August 2010, 21:52   #3

Town: Romney Marsh ,Kent
Make: Osprey 5.85
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu
Hi Max,

Where did you do your PB2?.

I launch from Rye - was out this afternoon as it happens, went to Folkestone and back.

Flat as a pancake today though..

Mike
Old 01 September 2010, 15:35   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Hi Mike,

At Eastbourne (Sea Training Sussex). Originally planned to be out on the Sunday but as I'm sure you'll know was blowing a F5/6 SW for most of last week - we got to Rye 2 1/2 hours before HT Monday but thankfully it eased off that afternoon and was at least a Northerly. Had to be wary as this was the first time out with a very nervous family! I knew it was going to be lovely from Tuesday but typically back at work then...

Tides are against us next weekend but may try for the following weekend.
Old 01 September 2010, 20:38   #5

Town: Romney Marsh ,Kent
Make: Osprey 5.85
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu
Hi Max,

I go out from Rye most of the time, give me a few days notice and I may be able to join you.

You can Launch a bit more than 2.5 hours either side of HW depending on Springs or Neap tides.

My boat is stored at the boatyard next to the slip, Henk who owns it will launch/recover (for a small fee) with his tractor - means not risking the car on the slip and more of a tidal range, he is a Rib man too and is full of useful information - He is a PB2 instructor and very knowledgeable.

regards

Mike