Old 04 July 2011, 09:38   #1

Town: Holbury
Make: Ocean Dynamic
Engine: 2 330 Iveco Hamilton
Pay Pal Scam

I wonder if any member has accepted a offer to purchase their Rib by
Pay Pal , with the story it is attached to my bank account and safe.
That when told would only accept payment in cash on collection. That would give the buyer the opportunity to inspect and test the RIB failed
to reply The problem with accepting payment by pay pal , especially for a large
sum. Is the buyer has only to complain to Pay Pay that the product is not
as advertised or the engine is faulty . Then he is likely to get a refund ,
and you are left with the problem of trying to collect your RIB , while
the buyer has the use of it. Any body caught with this possible con ?
Old 05 July 2011, 17:57   #2

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Minefield

That's why I now only take pay al deposits then rest in cash, cheque, bank trans etc. Just not worth the hassle. If they insist I cancel the sale. I'd rather get a neg then lose 5k

Biggest problem with pay al is the tracking. If you cannot prove via online tacking from one on paypal verified couriers (ie royal mail, parcel force, dhl) that the buyer got the item paypal will refund them. End of.

How you can prove to Paypal that they got a rib is beyond my ability. apparently paypal want you to take a copy of their passport, along with photographic evidence that they collected the Rib. Yeah right....

Steer well clear is my advice

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 05 July 2011, 18:02   #3

Town: Dartmouth
It is the responsibility of the buyer to return the goods before Paypal will grant a refund however the ammount will be taken from your Paypal account if the buyer opens a dispute.
It is unlikely that you would have the figures we are talking about in your account and so it will more than likely go in to a negative balance.
Old 05 July 2011, 18:11   #4

Not quite. If they report as not received it's the seller to prove they have. In a Case of "not as described" claims the buyer has to get it independently proven to be not as described then paypal will refund upon return of said goods.

It's a nightmare.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 05 July 2011, 18:35   #5

Ah, Ok... if there's one thing I do know is try and stay away from Paypal if ya can!!
Old 05 July 2011, 20:02   #6

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
How much is pay pal charging when You use it domestically in UK? I bought a SIB and a outboard using it in the past from UK, remember Pay Pal charged 6% of total value, In addition to the not so brilliant exhange rate....
Old 05 July 2011, 21:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribraff
Ah, Ok... if there's one thing I do know is try and stay away from Paypal if ya can!!
Spot on

Old 06 July 2011, 04:29   #8

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
As a buyer, and I have purchased 4 boats and countless other bits including quite a few outboards, Paypal provides some security. I often buy things unseen, including all three boats and there is no way I will transfer money into someones account before I get the item. As for cash, I am not showing up to someones place with many thousands in cash for my own security. Same story if I am sending a courier, I need a way out if it is not what they said it was.

As for friends who have sold, they report that when people show up with the cash, it seems to be common practise that they will try to get a further discount by claiming the description is inaccurate. They expect a 10 year old outboard to be in the same condition as a brand new one unless you specifically mention every scratch and minor fault. Re-listing an item often brings in less bids as people think there is something wrong with it.

I know many disagree but just my 2 cents worth.
Old 06 July 2011, 07:28   #9

The idea of Paypal is certainly a good one in that it provides security for buyers and sellers alike. Unfortunately the reality can be far from that for a lot of people. I know of several people personally who have been stung by Paypals decision on disputes.
I do not like the fact that they are domiciled in Luxembourg and act as though they are not governed by the FSA even though they trade in the UK.
Their Terms and conditions are long, drawn out and quite frankly bizzare.
They can also freeze your account for up to 180 days without giving any reason whatsoever on the grounds of 'security risk'.
There has been several Lawsuits against Paypal both here and in the US which have been successful on the basis that Paypal back down when challenged legally because they know that their T+C's don't stand up so basically they work on the basis of what they can get away with.
If you do have to use them it is best to keep as little money in your Paypal account as possible and make sure that the payment card linked to the account has small amounts in it too.
If you are trading on eBay you have the option to add Google Checkout to the buying options which is much easier and straightforward with the added bonus that it is a name buyers and sellers know.