Old 24 June 2007, 20:11   #1

Town: PA
Boat name: 450
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: etec 40
Patches: last how long

Got used Avon 450 that holds air fine but has 2 patches on underside and on both the front edge of patch is peeling away (not tight to the tube). Also back seam (where the pinted tube meest the boat) has loose seam edge not 100% tight to the tube.

Am worried over time that force of water will put strain on these loose, ragged edges. Then again maybe have been that way since time began, so...

1. should I take to professional repair shop to fix, or just run till a leak is noticed?
2. What if anything, can I use to glue these edges down myself?
3. How long do patches (and seams) usualy last?
Old 25 June 2007, 11:28   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
I don't claim to be an expert but my experience is:

If the patch is peeling off in an area where it isn't being battered by water then it probably hasn't been prepared properly, my boat had this from a previous owner and I am pretty sure they sanded down the tube but not the back of the patch! re-did with new patch, sanded both sides and stuck with Polymarine 2 pack glue, no further problems

If there is a leading edge anywhere near the water flow at the rear underneath of the tubes, forget it, you will not get it to stick with anything as it will eventually give in and start to peel back from the leading edge. Take it to a pro and save yourself a lot of heartache!

How long seams and tubes last depends on who makes them and is a bit of a sore point with yours truly so I won't start down that road!! But most people reckon that Avon are some of the best - how old is your boat? I have heard stories on here of Avon tubes lasting 20 years plus, mine started giving problems after 300 hours of use. Anywhere between those two extremes

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2007, 12:47   #3

Town: Mudeford
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.3
Engine: 90ho Tohatsu
that is a common problem with the Avon A400 and I believe A450. I'm guessing that the patch i where the cone part of the tube meets the main tube at the stern? Avon repaired mine under warrenty. (boat 4 years old) KEEP AN EYE ON IT.

I've seen a tube fill up with water when the leading egde of a seem came away forcing water into the tube. The tube looks like it is full of air, but it is water, much heavier and almost sunk the boat. Very scary. If you hear a flapping sound when going along its the seem is lifting.
Old 25 June 2007, 18:17   #4

Town: PA
Boat name: 450
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: etec 40
Follow-up

Thanks for helpful & quick replies. Some followup info
1. avon rib is year 2000 (so 7 years old)
2. Not clear from literature if seam warranty is 10 or 5 yrs
3. I did email Avon but never heard back, not sure how ele to contact em
4. to clarify, the 2 patches are NOT on seam but on underside, 1 up near front and 1 near rear. The seam I mentioned is where cone meets tube and there is no patch and does not leak but noticed the cone seam itself is peeling back slightly as opposed to other cone that is perfectly tight
5. I did try some aquaseal on 2 patches but after awhile did not hold, probably like you said cause it was hitting water line.
Old 25 June 2007, 19:47   #5

Town: Mudeford
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.3
Engine: 90ho Tohatsu
i'm not sure how it works in the USA but over here avon has many authorised repair centres all over the country - it's not Avon itself, just 3rd party people who will do warrenty work. If the patches were done by one of these repair centres they will be covered by a warrenty (depending on how long ago they were done) See if there is one of the repair centres near you and show then the cone seem that is starting to come away. If it's a known fault (i'm pretty sure it is over here) they should fix it for you FOC

try this link to find one http://www.avoninflatables.co.uk/cat..._s-1_ma-0.html