Old 16 June 2015, 14:39   #1

Town: Banbury
Boat name: Bystander
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 175hp Outboard
Passage to Poole

Hi all.

I wonder whether someone could provide some advice...

My rib is stored down at the Swanwick Dry Stack. I rather fancy a day trip to Poole. Where is the best place to moor the boat, and does anyone know where I can get fuel?

Poole Quay Boat Haven looks ideal location... but will I get in during busy times... Additionally, looks like Parkstone Yacht Club have a fuel pontoon... Has anyone filled up here before?

Many thanks for your thoughts/advice all

Chris
Old 16 June 2015, 15:42   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: Blue Ocean
Make: Ribeye 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 115
Hi Chris,

You have a few choices for fuel in Poole (presume you are after petrol not diesel).

Parkstone have fuel but it can get quite shallow around low water. Nearby you can also get fuel in salterns marina which is abit easier near low water. If you go under the bridges you can also fill up at Cobbs quay at all states of tide.

If you want access to the town, the best place to moor is Poole quay, if full port of Poole marina may have a spot and is only a 5-10 minute walk to town over the old bridge.

Have a good trip.
Old 16 June 2015, 16:38   #3

Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Parkstone Yacht Club definitely don't have fuel (other than a small bowser of diesel you can use to fill jerry cans). I think Parkstone Bay Marina might have fuel, but as per Andy is restricted by tide. Both petrol and diesel available at Salterns Marina at all states of tide, but won't be cheap! Diesel only I believe at CPL just before you hit the (old) lift bridge. Or diesel and petrol under both bridges at Cobbs Quay.

If you want to visit Poole town, then definitely Poole Quay Boat Haven is the easiest. I can't imagine on most days they'd have any issues fitting a RIB in for a few hours/daylight only. Depending on the weather, personally I wouldn't spend much time on the quay, and go to Brownsea Island, Wareham, Studland or Swanage instead!

I hope you have a great visit!
Old 16 June 2015, 20:22   #4

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Parkstone Bay Marina supply both petrol & diesel, access can be tight, usually not accessible 1hr either side of low water although sometime on neaps you can creep in.
Old 16 June 2015, 21:54   #5

Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
Chris - If you do fuel up at Parkstone Bay then it's worth walking through in to the boatyard and lunching at South Deep. It's run by a Belgian guy and if the weather is nice they have a great deck overlooking the water. I don't think you'd have any problem mooring up there for an hour or two. I'd recommend everything on the menu. Don't fuel at Salterns, the price of fuel is exorbitant (1.75 per litre)and I've found them quite unfriendly recently..
Old 16 June 2015, 21:54   #6

Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
South Deep Cafe - Parkstone Bay Café by Stephané