Click Here to Login

Old 06 September 2004, 11:15   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
PaperWork required for crossing the Channel.

I have read previous posts and lifted the following info from Daniel, as what is required to go to France in a RIB.

Insurance cover note
You need to have at least third-party insurance. The cover note should be translated into French, your insurance company will be more than happy to do this.

VAT Receipt
You need to be able to prove that VAT has been paid on the boat. The original invoice will do.

Ships Radio Licence
If you have a marine VHF onboard you will need a Ships Radio Licence and operators certificate.

Small Ships Register
Your RIB will need to be registered on the Small Ships Register and you need to carry the paper work with you.

And don't forget your passport!

*British skippers in charge of a British registered boats do not require an ICC when cruising in French coastal waters.

However, a friend of mine is claiming I also need by law to have and log a route plan? He also mentioned that ICC is mandatory....? Are these statements correct?

Is there anything missing from the list above?

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2004, 11:26   #2

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy

*British skippers in charge of a British registered boats do not require an ICC when cruising in French coastal waters.

However, a friend of mine is claiming I also need by law to have and log a route plan? He also mentioned that ICC is mandatory....? Are these statements correct?

Is there anything missing from the list above?
SOLAS V REGS state you must have a passage/route plan and its sensible to have it all worked out before you go on a piece of A4 stuffed inside a polypocket so you can refer to this on the way , also need up to date charts and a ploting instrument.A 2/3 day weather forcast prior to going so you can work out the weather pattern ( important for the return trip)
any relevant pilotage notes from the books for entering leaving harbour (important if entering a commercial port ) any radio channels listed for said ports and telephone numbers of the ports or thier working stations . i have never been asked for my ICC but always take it with me , a couple of friends have been asked so take it with you just in case.
regards Tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 06 September 2004, 11:34   #3

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Hi Andy, Agree with everything Tim say's I have been asked on a few occasions for my ICC, the solas stuff is not taxing after all we plane before we leave so just record what the plan is!!

Enjoy your crossing

Brian
Old 06 September 2004, 11:46   #4

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
The RYA site cinfirms that an ICC is not mandatory in French coastal waters.

My reading of the solas regs require you to consider various matters before setting out including route planning etc. but although the best evidence of that is a written plan it is not in itself mandatory.

However it is common sense that you will take charts pilots books etc .

The only time I was stopped and asked for papers I was told that for the French they need a manual of the boat and engine so I added that to the list for convenience .
Old 06 September 2004, 14:17   #5

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
The only time I've ever been stopped by French customs all they were interested in was the SSR document. They asked for my passport which I didn't have and they weren't bothered.

I suspect the ICC will be mandatory in the future and in my view its a good thing. Then again if you've made it across the channel that shows a fair bit of competency anyway.

Cheers

Mark
Old 06 September 2004, 17:53   #6

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Marlin
Make: PBS humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 optimax!!
a further question.................

i have got my rib zero rated for vat as i am a whelchair user and have had "permanent and significant alterations made to the boat for use by disabled people"

as i intend to cross the channel, would i be right in presuming i take the invoice showing zero vat and the vat exemption certificate instead of the invoice showing vat paid?

nobody i've asked seems too sure.
Old 06 September 2004, 18:01   #7

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
I reckon I'd take the lot - otherwise confusion could reign! (does the invoice showing VAT paid have 0% or 17.5% ?)

The likelihood of needing any documentation is exceedingly low - I've been across with friends who have panicked mid channel when they've suddenly realised that they've forgotten documents - one occasion no passports, another occasion no ICC, VHF licence, in fact no boat documents at all (and not even a red ensign flying)!

Best to be organised, but don't get stressed about it
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2004, 21:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
I reckon I'd take the lot - otherwise confusion could reign! (does the invoice showing VAT paid have 0% or 17.5% ?)
the invoice will show 0%. better brush up on my rusty french, or just speak slowly and loudly!!!!!!!
Old 06 September 2004, 22:37   #9

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
I would type up a VAT receipt showing 17.5% just to make life easy

Alternatively brush up on your rusty French... they seem to go deaf when you speak English slowly and loud. We've seen some hilarious incidents with French shopkeepers pretending they can't understand ignorant English or Americans.

I don't think you'll get any problems - they'll probably be amazed that you've come all the way from England with your customised RIB. Will you take your wheels as well?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2004, 19:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
I would type up a VAT receipt showing 17.5% just to make life easy

Alternatively brush up on your rusty French... they seem to go deaf when you speak English slowly and loud. We've seen some hilarious incidents with French shopkeepers pretending they can't understand ignorant English or Americans.

I don't think you'll get any problems - they'll probably be amazed that you've come all the way from England with your customised RIB. Will you take your wheels as well?
The wheels will travel - most likely strapped to the a frame. the chair frame will be strapped on the rear bench seat (its titanium so no rust problems- and very light for 'the boss' to lift on and off. the only customising she is having is a bench seat for the driver/nav, set up fairly similar in driving position to a car. the seat is being raised slightly to give better forward vision (as if semi-standing). the rear bench seat is also being tweaked to sit it dead level with the top of the tubes for easy entries/exits from the water when i go diving or wakeboarding (i've got a wakeboard with a seat). roll on december!!!!

off to the boat show thurs for some warm clothes and some gecko helmets (no windscreen on the boat as i can't see or clean it once there is salt on it)

Better get the credit card warmed up