Old 07 September 2005, 08:37   #21

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Well, one prop isn't going to achieve any great discounts, however if someone suggested that there are now dozens of P22s in private ownership looking for a sensible price of props for there boats, then it might be worth there while in targeting us and substantially under cutting Lancing. They might even be willing to lend us a volvo prop to investigate once and for all if these props are suitable.

The one other query I have at the moment is the cone on the back of some props, does it do anything for performance?

Pete
Old 07 September 2005, 08:45   #22

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
The one other query I have at the moment is the cone on the back of some props, does it do anything for performance?

Pete
I would have thought that it will reduce drag when you are exhausting gas through the prop. this drag would be useful but not on this set up.
I will ask for a quote for 5 props and see what happens It is interesting to see that Sonics 17” prop is £185 which makes £400 ish from lancing a real insult Des
Old 07 September 2005, 08:47   #23

Cool, would you ask if they do a 23", fancy going a little faster.
Old 07 September 2005, 22:25   #24

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Rotary Rescue
Make: Pacific 22
Engine: Mermaid 160
MMSI: 235021725
props

Ours is 19x19 and doesnt have a nose cone. Is that a problem??
Old 07 September 2005, 22:49   #25

Length: no boat
Interesting the fact about Dana. This is a US company that manufacture rear ends for mostly Chrysler automotive products (in fact, it may well be a Chrylser company). Well engineered. Came across their products when racing US tin tops.
Old 08 September 2005, 13:00   #26

Town: Somerset
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: 150 Diesel
Dear Des, Pete et. al.

Done the deal and bought the 1991 P22 I first fell in love with, having had a good look at a couple of others in the meantime. All life should be so simple!

Am off to the gym to grow some muscles, then over to Halfords for some big spanners!

Many thanks for all the help and advice.
Old 08 September 2005, 13:05   #27

Cool, photos when you have a chance then

Pete
Old 08 September 2005, 14:07   #28

Good news let me know if you need anything. What is your boats issue number Des
Old 08 September 2005, 14:40   #29

Town: Somerset
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: 150 Diesel
Issue number 9127 - though I may also call her something slightly more romantic when all's going well with the usual fallback of f**kin' floating kennel! or similar when things appear less than rosy.
Old 22 September 2005, 10:43   #30

Town: Perthshire
Boat name: Baltic Rib
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin merc 125's
Really nice condition arctic 22 on the market....

Hi everyone,,
I'm new to this forum, and have just been reading through some intersting threads, Just to let anyone who might be interested know, I've got an arctic 22 for sale, with twin 2004 mercury 125's on the back. She's fully loaded with kit and is on the market at £15,000. However, I'd be open to offers......

Cheers, james
Old 22 September 2005, 13:05   #31

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Cool, would you ask if they do a 23", fancy going a little faster.
Try the Volvo prop, then. I suppose it depends on the blade tip shape but I can't imagine the last 3/8" does a great deal of work. My understanding is that larger diameters are required for greater load carrying capability and thicker sections are required when the load carrying is at lower speeds (blade speeds). A bit like an aeroplane with bigger/thicker wings.

Pete, what weight is your boat?
Old 22 September 2005, 13:29   #32

I’m glad you’ve brought this thread up again cos I am really struggling to find anyone who will quote for the original style prop.
Sonic are a stockist who have a gentleman’s agreement (I quote) with Lancing to not supply this prop to anyone else and I’ve also spoken to a couple of other prop ‘manufactures’ but no quote. I think part of the issue is that it is a cushion hub and large diameter prop so other than Volvo of a rare beast
Going down the Volvo route requires a hub adaptor which makes the first prop very expensive but cheaper thereafter.
So I am lost as to what to do next any ideas Des

Ps weight in the book 1600kgs light, 2200 heavy.
Old 22 September 2005, 14:06   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
Going down the Volvo route requires a hub adaptor which makes the first prop very expensive but cheaper thereafter.
Ps weight in the book 1600kgs light, 2200 heavy.
Des, is it an adaptor (as in requires splines) or just a spacer that's required?

That's not too heavy. Is the drive's gearing such that the prop speed is particularly low? I suppose, with the lower powered engines, that you're going to need big diameter and low pitch to be able to carry a heavy load as well as the boat.
Old 22 September 2005, 15:07   #34

It is an adaptor and possible a spacer as well.
I am told that the Propellers’ hub is 1 1/8th" dia. 2 1/4" long with 17 Splines, end thread 7/8-9 UNC x1.
Prop size 16.75" x 21"pitch Left hand SMC807 Michigan wheel.
In standard configuration the Mermaid produces 140hp at 2600rpm driving a 1:1 Velvet Drive Gearbox
My outdrive is 1.26:1 although RN boats were 1.32:1, not sure if the 0.06 makes any difference Des
Old 22 September 2005, 15:25   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Pete, what weight is your boat?
I recon 2 tonnes with a couple of passengers, although haven't weighed it. Must take it around to Drivers one afternoon and have her lifted on the crane.

If its just an adaptor to switch to the volvo long hub prop, then its just a bit of lathe work. Need to spend a day down at Foulks boat scrap yard. they have an ISO container full of old props, so a volvo ought to be available.

Des, the only other source of original props will be that bloke in Plymouth Nev mentioned a while back or the scrap yard in Portsmouth.

You have me thinking about ratios now, I will measure it when she comes out for the winter. My SMC 807 was dreadully slow to accelerate (before it fell off) compared to a lancing 16.75 x 21 which makes me think it was about 25". I have 2800 revs with the lancing prop, didn't get chance to check the revs with the SMC before it failed.

Pete
Old 22 September 2005, 15:48   #36

You’ve got me thinking now
I don’t know that I have this right but given the same engine and boat a 1:26:1 outdrive is doing 3276 rpm at the prop at wot, whereas 1.32:1 would be 3432. So a standard boat is doing 156 more revs than my one.
And yet my boat, with the lancing prop on, did 28 knots (gps) which is about the same as everyone else’s boats

How do you measure pitch Des.
Old 22 September 2005, 18:28   #37

Town: Borders
Boat name: Pacific 22
Engine: Mermaid diesel
P22

Good evening. I am new to thi site. I bought a P22 earlier this year and am interested too in the speeds achievable with different props.

I had an 809 prop which i believe was a 16 3/4 x 21 standard military issue.

When i bought the boat from Nevilles outfit it went fine with this on at 140 hp. I then had the pump adjusted so that it was 165 hp apprx and put on a 19 x 18 prop. As the drive was a 113 it takes a 19" prop.

Light, it just makes it and a touch over 30 knots. I think (and i havent tried yet) but if i put more than 2 people on board it wont reach wot.

So i think im going to try a 19 x 17 by sending it away and having it repitched. Changing the diameter to 18" is the optimum i think but i dont know if these prop places can do work like that - any body know?

Neville put me on to someone called SR marine in Plymouth but they seem to have moved on somewhere. I think that was my only chance of a cheap prop!
Old 22 September 2005, 18:28   #38

I always thought the ratio was the other way round, 1.32:1 so the prop is travelling slower?

This would give 1970 revs for a Naval boat and 2063 for a 1.26:1 for your boat. That could explain your 28 knots over 26 knots for a standard boat. Or, I could be completely wrong

Oops seems 3 of us have posted the same thing at once, anyway found this pic on Streamlines Web Page. Or I supose you could use a lathe and offset the carridge.

Here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pitch_guage.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	14589  
Old 22 September 2005, 18:29   #39

Des, are you sure you have that the correct way around. Normally the prop runs slower than the engine. Just did a little calc for you... If your engine is at 2800, your prop pitch is 21, slip about 20% and ratio is 1.26 then you should be making 30.4kts.
Old 22 September 2005, 18:31   #40

Town: Borders
Boat name: Pacific 22
Engine: Mermaid diesel
Des, i think you have the gear ratio calculated the wrong way round. A 1.32 : 1 means for every 1.32 the input turns, the prop will turn by one thus decreasing the shaft speed. I think your boat would go fractionally faster.

Ive been studying hard since i bought the boat!