Old 22 September 2004, 13:58   #1
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Pacific 22 data

There seems to be quite a lot of interest in information for people refurbishing P22s -- part numbers, supplier details and the like. Some of you have obviously built up quite a store of data which you might be prepared to share.

So, how about putting together a Pacific 22 data sheet? If anyone is willing to compile it, then I would be happy to add it to the downloads section.

John
Old 22 September 2004, 20:15   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
JK excellent idea, I have a complete parts list for every item required to make a P22 but its in A4 hard copy format. Any suggestions on how to turn it into electronics data, without over loading the server with scanned images ?

Pete
Old 22 September 2004, 20:30   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I've just been discussing this with Scary Des by PM -- I hadn't realised quite how much information you lot had accumulated!

One issue we need to be wary of is copyright, if any exists on this sort of information. One simple answer might be to just list the various publications and where to get them from, which would be a good start for someone new to the delights of P22 ownership.

Just how big is this parts list?

John
Old 22 September 2004, 20:49   #4

Its on my desk at work so will have a look on Monday.

Pete
Old 23 September 2004, 08:56   #5
Seb

Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 50
Its definately a great idea and will save P22 owners who are refurbing their boats some major headaches and parts hunts!!

Im personally discovering what many of the components are and where to get replacements from and will happily contribute my findings to any list which may be compiled (although most of the info i do find is from here!!)

If any one person decides to undertake this task and needs a hand, let me know - more than happy to help!

Pete, would you be prepared to make a paper copy of your boat manual/parts list for some beer money or the likes?

SEB
Old 23 September 2004, 09:33   #6

Seb, pm me your address and I will put a copy on the post, cost you a G&T sometime

Pete
Old 23 September 2004, 19:34   #7

Town: Lydney
Boat name: Taurus
Make: Zodiac 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 40
Mermaid T4

I have recently rebuilt my engine, as it was lying under a tree next to the P22 I bought, full of water. Mermaid wanted £200 each for pistons. I have a list of all the internal engine wearing parts, if of any use, that are available from commercial engine parts suppliers.

Roger
Old 23 September 2004, 20:20   #8

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
I presume console changes will remain a core feature?

missus
Old 23 September 2004, 22:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
I have recently rebuilt my engine, as it was lying under a tree next to the P22 I bought, full of water. Mermaid wanted £200 each for pistons. I have a list of all the internal engine wearing parts, if of any use, that are available from commercial engine parts suppliers.

Roger
Roger hi, and welcome to Ribnet. I have a feeling that sort of list is going to be very useful given the number of P22 owners on the forum.

Missus only one word for u, Behave

Pete
Old 24 September 2004, 11:07   #10

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
I presume console changes will remain a core feature?

missus

Now you've given them a core plug!
Old 01 November 2004, 16:34   #11

Town: Island Harbour IOW
Boat name: Sharkie
Make: Halmatic Pacific 22
Engine: inboard diesel
A Bit new to ownership ofa Pac 22

I bought Sharkie back in early July and am currently clocking up a minimum of 10 - 12 hours a week in her. Great fun. Big surprise to me was the workload to keep a boat up together when using her every day.

Just developed a slight water leak on the transom around (what look to me like) the main out drive bolts. I tightened them all up and it reduced the leak a bit, but I guess I am in for a haul out and strip.

Losing turbo pressure - engine on load revs to around 2400 (was 2600 last week) and less than 1/2 a bar turbo. Prop is new and clean and the bottom was scrubbed a couple of weeks back. I think the rubber sleeve on the turbo outlet may be leaking.

Re bits for Pac's, I have a parts catalogue for the Mermaid Turbo 4/Mistral/Majestic, and am happy to scan it in and PDF it if anyone is interested.

Regards

Steve White
Island Harbour IOW
Old 01 November 2004, 17:11   #12

Sharkie hi and welcome. Jelly has done us a PDF of the owners manual, shout if you want a copy.

Was that you out water skiing with a ring a couple of weeks ago ?

Pete
Old 02 November 2004, 08:12   #13

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkie
I bought Sharkie back in early July …....
Congratulation, where did she come from?

Quote:
Big surprise to me was the workload to keep a boat up together when using her every day
What are you having to do?

Quote:
………. slight water leak on the transom around the main out drive bolts. I tightened them all up ……….
From memory the torque figure for the transom bolts isn’t very high and I think you run the risk of crushing the inner core if you squeeze them up too much. Taking the housing off is not a major job and you might get away with only undoing the prop shaft and easing the housing back sufficiently to get some more mastic in. I used Arbokol 1000 when fitting my out drive and it has been fine.

Quote:
Losing turbo pressure - engine on load revs to around 2400 (was 2600 last week) and less than 1/2 a bar turbo. I think the rubber sleeve on the turbo outlet may be leaking.
If you find the air side is ok check for air leaks in the fuel system. Also check the pressure relief valve on the side of the pump body. It looks like a straight union coming out the side of the pump with a return hose on the end. This valve should open at low pressure but if it becomes blocked you get the problems you described.
Des
Old 15 November 2004, 18:50   #14

Re Problems with Sharkie

Hi All,
Sorry for the delay in coming back, been in the West of Scotland on business for a week. In that time (and the weekend prior to going) a lot has happened. I stripped off the turbo tubing and found the silicon sleeve had a 1.5 inch split in it. I replaced both sleeves on the turbo to intercooler tube and hope that has done the trick.

Sadly she did have a leak throught the sterndrive casting. She is currently in Richardsons at Island Harbour (where we live) with the sterndrive removed.
The main transom casting had corroded into holes on one side and where the steering swivel plate connects, had cracked on both sides. An accident waiting to happen. I am having 2 new castings fitted. The good news is that the sternpower drive is an older one and the gearing is in excellent condition. hope to be back afloat in a week (and probably a couple of grand lighter)

The coolant leak continues. I replaced the header tank/engne gasket and also the thermostat and gasket. Still leaking. Have now replaced the o seals on each side where the raw water meets the tube stack. THey were a little flat, so I am hoping that will sort it out. It is a tiny leak as the system maintains some pressure for a while after running.
So, if you happen across a blue and grey Pac 22 wallowing around in the Solent with a guy with (thinning) grey hair and a red dry bag scratching his head, give us a friendly wave :-)

BTW it was not me water skiing but I wouldn't mind giving it a go.

BTW2 I now have a sterndrive handbook as well, if anyone is interested I can scan it in and pdf it. Lettuce snow.

Do any of you guys meet up at all? we could be interested. The Folly is always a pleasant afternoon out. I was alongside a jet black Zodiac - ex USN boat. It was owned by a chap who had owned a Mk1 Pac for 15 yrs.
This Zodiac is a lovely looking 48kt craft that lives (I believe) in Lymington.
Any road up, must dash and do domestic things.

L8r
Old 15 November 2004, 19:02   #15

Pac 22

Many thanks to you all for your advice. I am still trying to get to grips with this method of writing, so apologies if I sound like a numpty.

I bought Sharkie from a chap called John Darlington, who had her for around 6 years. Her navy hull # is 8930 and she has a Dover engine.
John took the engine out and had her completely rebuilt. She has a blue twin console and twin jockey seats instead of the standard pussers single seat and steering wheel that bruises yer bits on a bumpy ride.

Many thanks for the guidance on the pressure relief valve, I will check that as soon as she re-launches.

Re the heavy workload, I guess 10-12 hours a week and a swing around with a spanner to make sure things are tight is not too bad.
I do have a white locker hatch forward that needs replacing but it hasnt fallen off yet.
I have 2 fuel tanks, both with guages that have decided to stop working.
A corroded contact is one fault, the other I have not stripped out yet, but probably the same. The GPS decided to die (salt water ingress)

Oh yeah, the other night (I seem to do a lot of night driving) all the nav lights went out just as I was entering Cowes Harbour. Fortunately I have a bright spot light, which I faced aft and down at the water, then made broadcasts on VHF 69 as i was transitting upriver, keeping as far over to starboard as possible. The following day I found the breaker had popped.
All working again now but a new breaker I think

Pete, a big yes please for the handbook. I now have the book on the sterndrive and am happy to reciprocate.

OK, I will stop burbling now. Thanks again for the help - I will keep you posted with my progress.

Regards

Steve White
Island Harbour IOW
swmarineservices@aol.com
Old 15 November 2004, 20:08   #16

Steve, on its way. I have the stern power manual, thanks

Pete
Old 17 November 2004, 12:21   #17

RE: Manual

Many thanks for sending the book Pete, I will check my email when I get home.

I spoke with Terry at Richardsons today and they are emailing me a cost breakdown for the sterndrive work. (Quaking in boots). I keep wondering if using a RIB is the best option for driving to work, when the ferry is a bit cheaper - and then............. how else would I feed my 12 hours a week wave hopping habit??

I read somewhere that the PAcific is the land rover of RIBs. I agree.
I have had 2 land rovers and they took a lot of work to keep running and I didnt take them out in a force 8. I have to say that I now know why the RN uses Pac's as ships boats.

My son was working for a testing house in Southampton some years back and they had a an old Pacific hull in for test to destruction. The squeeze they put on the hull, side on, was (I am told) the equivalent of 10 London busses stacked on top of each other, and the hull STILL didn't give.
So, driving a Pac in London traffice would be a breeze
Old 17 November 2004, 12:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
There seems to be quite a lot of interest in information for people refurbishing P22s -- part numbers, supplier details and the like. Some of you have obviously built up quite a store of data which you might be prepared to share.

So, how about putting together a Pacific 22 data sheet? If anyone is willing to compile it, then I would be happy to add it to the downloads section.

John
Hi John,
Sounds like a great idea. I am not sure I am the right person to do it but it would be a great idea also to have a Pacific Register, using the RN plate number. Mine is RN8930
Steve White
Island Harbour
IOW
Old 17 November 2004, 12:28   #19

Aux Engine for a Pac 22

Just thought of another question: I am looking for an outboard donk to carry in the (unlikely) event of the mermaid wrapping her fins in.
I currently have the 2hp from my other boat's tender and to be frank, it is as much use as an ashtray on a RIB. If there is any wind at all the poor thing wont even point the Pac in any direction, let alone drive it.
Any advice most gratefully received
Thanks
Steve White
Island Harbour
IOW
Old 17 November 2004, 12:31   #20

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Hi Steve,

I think I read somewhere (here?) that the rule of thumb is 1 hp for every metre of RIB. I reckon a RIB built like a Pacific may need to add a bit more on top!

Pete 7, Scary Des, Ian Austin or one of the other 'PacMen' would be the best people to ask!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote