Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Pacific 22

Hi Pete 7
Following from PM.

Many thanks for the reply, have you any infomation on injector pump setings, or where can i get a manual from.

Yes i did by Sebs boat, collected from Cardiff and took it to Plymouth on a trailer with no brakes, but had a very good run back, no scarey moments.

I have primered and anti-fouled the hull as it will be bearthed on a marina for a year, i was going to take some pics of the launch on Friday, but got very excited and forgot, see this is only the second boat i have ever owned and the first to be put in water.

Went out twice on Friday, once on Saturday and again on Sunday, it has been very windy down here so it made for good sea trials, wot a hoot this boat is.

When i went to check on the boat yesterday i noticed there was a lot of water in the boat, i emptied it out and i think the water is coming from the seal between the transom plate and the transom, have you changed yours in your big refit and where do you think i could get one, after looking at your consul mod, mine is staying put.

Ian

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2004, 22:07   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Ian hi,

You can probably get a seal from Lancing Marine but they are not cheap. Alternatively if you can stand reading through the pacific console post there is a guy down in Plymouth who has some bits. The leak might be from the decks because they are not glassed in like most ribs rather screwed down onto the bearers. I fitted a float switch and pump in the stern to drain out any water. Worth checking the seal on the prop shaft which goes to the stern drive.

Or e mail Jamie, he is selling a P24 on Boats and Outboards at the moment. He has some bits. You can do a console in a weekend, go on you know you want to do it.

Send me a pm with your address and I will do you a copy of the manual. Go on the Mermaid Owners engine course, for £85 you get the best days tuition available and its teaching on the very engine we have.

Why are you playing with the injector pump ? leave it alone, these engines will smoke until the turbo cuts in on acceleration.

http://www.mermaid-marine.co.uk/home.htm
http://www.lancingmarine.com/
Pete

Oh yes I think that boat has the wrong size prop on it. the best size Nev and I can come up with is the standard 21".
Old 26 February 2004, 22:12   #3

You towed a 2.5 tonne boat from Cardiff to Brixham with no brakes, hmm bet that was fun.

Pete
Old 26 February 2004, 22:28   #4

Pete

The leak is from the port side and is dribbleing in and it has not been raining.
There is a pump in the aft area but no float, i have got one to fit but as yet not had the time.
The only thing i would change the consul for is to have more room between the seat and the steering wheel, to fit me gut in, but getting used to it.
I want to play with the injection pump, as it doesn't start to boost till 2000+ rpm, cos it is only boosting to 0.5 bar and it don't smoke off boost, lack of fuel i think.

I am going to try a temporary repair on Sunday, as i don't want to take it out of the water at the moment, i want to use it.

Will send PM with address and thanks for the copy of the manual in advance.

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Old 26 February 2004, 22:33   #5

Pete
You towed a 2.5 tonne boat from Cardiff to Brixham with no brakes, hmm bet that was fun.

To Plymouth, the roads were quite clear, thankfuly.
Towed realy smoothly the driver ended up cruising at 70-75 mph.

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Old 26 February 2004, 22:37   #6

Okay, this is what I know about the pump. On top of the pump is a small thimble. Take this off and underneath is a screw which you must never touch. Give it a turn. If you want the equivalent of nitros oxcide then put 24 volts through the switch on the pump. It will open the rack and give full fuel flow through the pump. Mike Bellamy from Lancing said make sure you are holding on though if you try this

Chris at Mermaid is a font of knowledge and for £15 a year the owners club is a good deal with out of hours advice. I used it on a bank holiday!

Think mine starts to boost at 1000 but it isn't until 1800 that the pressure is up to a 1 bar.

Pete
Old 27 February 2004, 22:19   #7

Pete
I will have a look and a play, i will be pulling the Rib out on Sunday for a couple of hours to do a temp repair with sicoflex and then do the job properly at the end of summer.

The rib has been sat on the marina in Plymouth all week and i have not taken it out once, just a bit p***ed off, got to go on a sea trial tomorrow, on a 61 ft yacht leaving at 10.30 back at 17.00 still no time to go out.

Ian

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Old 27 February 2004, 22:24   #8

Quote:
on a 61 ft yacht leaving at 10.30 back at 17.00 still no time to go out.
Oh you poor thing!

Just one thought, the stern power legs can have an exhaust attached to them but in the Pacific they are blanked off with a plate. Wonder if someone has not sealed it properly. the plate fits below the drive.

Pete
Old 27 February 2004, 22:49   #9

will have a look at that, when out on Sunday

Cheers

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Old 29 February 2004, 18:52   #10

Hi Pete
the trip on the yacht was boring, bl**dy think would only do 9 knots, too slow, to many ropes and to much running around.

Found the leak on my Rib today, pumped the water out a couple of days ago, went down yesterday, no water went out for a trip for about an hour, switch on the pump on the way in and loads of water came out.
So this morning a mate drove while i checked the hoses and coolers, as we were coming close to planing, water started coming out of the strainer, Seb had made a new strainer mesh but it was slightly to long and it was holding the lid up, so we ground it down, made a new gasket and no more leaks.

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Old 29 February 2004, 19:01   #11

Ian, good to see you found the leak. Do you have a bilge alarm fitted. Made one from a float switch and a buzzer from Mapplins. Also had an enginerring firm modify mine so that I can flush the engine by closing the original valve and opeing the top one.

Made the gasket from a piece of tube material.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sea cock.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	4508  
Old 29 February 2004, 19:40   #12

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Rotary Rescue
Make: Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mermaid 160
MMSI: 235021725
Mod to inlet

Pete
Dont know if any good, but we have a similar arrangement on our Cheverton 24' launch but we have a hose attached so that we can use the engine to pump the bilge out should we have a very bad leak.

Following pac22 threads closely as we are hoping to get one as soon as funds avail.(got some more fundraising to do yet)

Paul
Old 29 February 2004, 19:59   #13

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Re: Mod to inlet

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul F
...we have a hose attached so that we can use the engine to pump the bilge out should we have a very bad leak.
That's a good idea.
Old 29 February 2004, 20:08   #14

Paul hi,

Great idea, the standard naval pump on P22s is bronze (£650 to replace) and designed to run out of water for up to five minutes so should stand swtiching from cooling water to bilge water.

Loosing track of who has them for sale at the moment but prices seem to be fairly stable other than someone in Cornwall wanting £20k, which seems way over the top. One in Scotland,

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F26146

and a great one with:

http://www.lochin.com/ too much for me though.

Pete
Old 29 February 2004, 20:40   #15

Pete
That looks the dogs b**l*cks, have not got an alarm yet, i will do it when i do the float switch for the pump, got to thrash it some more first

Paul
Keep saving, i love this rib, may be a bit slower than most other ribs of the same size, but it just ploughs through the weather, tried to jump over the waves from a 30ft + power boat today and it hardly bounced.
I need some on shore winds, for serious playing.

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Old 29 February 2004, 20:46   #16

mod to inlet

Pete
If theres water in the bilge then the change over is nothing to worry about as you open one before shutting the other. On our engine(perkins) its a jabsco and it really does slurp out the old water.
Have checked those ones out before theres also one on conway commercials for 12k
Paul
Old 29 February 2004, 20:52   #17

pac22

Alan
Thanks mate you realy know how to hack someone off

I know i used to drive one whilst in the services and it used to get a right pasting, but would go through all you gave it. Brill boat the lack of speed is made up in other areas.

Hav fun

Paul
Old 08 March 2004, 20:45   #18

Fuel tank

Hi all
does anyone know how many gallons/litres of fuel the Pacific tank holds ??
the reason i ask is i ran out on friday( in the marina, thanfuly) filled the tank and two jerry cans and it came to 85 ltrs, that would make for a ten gallon tank, i cant belive that is right.
Pete do you have a fuel gauge on your's ???

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Old 08 March 2004, 21:31   #19

Ian, its an 20 gal tank as standard which is why I ripped up the deck and put 170 litre tank in it so I could get across the channel.

The space the tank sits in is huge with this tiny little tank in the middle. If you don't want to change the main tank, put a hatch infront of the existing console to gain access the huge underdeck space and carry a couple of jerry cans.

Pete
Old 08 March 2004, 21:31   #20

pac22

Cant answe that im afraid but it is certainly not alot as the boat wasnt meant to go on long trips just ferry runs etc. When i was driving one (whilst in forces) on long hauls we had the john wayne saddle bag type tanks to go over the tubes.