Old 12 July 2005, 11:00   #1

Town: Falmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Outboard
Pacific 22

Hi all.

Although new to this forum, I have read many threads regarding diesel RIBs.
I currently own a Tornado 4.5 with a Mariner 40, and am looking to upgrade in terms of boat size and power. As normal, I don't want to spend a Kings Ransom to achieve this. It will break my heart (and bank) to buy something bigger giving me a fuel liability of £100's for a good weekends use. Therefore, I guess Diesel is the way forward.
As previously mentioned on this site, P22s often come up for sale a very reasonable prices, and I notice that there are plenty of owners here that may be able to offer me some pre-purchase advice in terms of what to look for and avoid.
Although the primary use would be for general cruising, does the standard Mermaid unit provide enough power to wakeboard? Could somebody give me some idea of the cruising and top end speeds of this boat?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to make a costly mistake, or lose valuable time on the water fixing a dog.

Cheers,
Darren
Old 12 July 2005, 12:10   #2

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Hi Darren and welcome to Ribnet.
Short answer to your question is:- yes, you can wakeboard if you have a strong stomach because the smell of diesel is not to everyone’s liking , top speed is 28 knots, I cruise at 26 ish and fuel consumption is about 1 ltr /NM at WOT
As to whether it would be cheaper for you to own a P22 is a big question and depends on a lot of differing factors. It is cheaper for me because I use the boat a lot, I do my own servicing and repairs, I have a boat that was in reasonable condition when I bought it from the RN so I expect a reasonable length of time before I need to do any major overhaul and sadly (because I have very developed anorak tendencies ) I don’t mind working on it if I have too
When this boat has let me down it is usually for a very good reason whereas my previous boat that had an outboard would let me down for the stupidest reasons you can imaging It had a lot of little black boxes full of smoke and if something went wrong the smoke came out and they wouldn’t work drove me mad Des
Old 13 July 2005, 16:28   #3

Boat name: Big Blue
Make: Halmatic Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mermaid 140
Welcome aboard!

Hi Darren,

I have a P22 which I use for local running around as well as cruising in. Last week end, we took it down to the Scillies in company with Searider and his girlfriend in their 6.5 Scorpion and Mike and Di Garside in Magellan Alpha (9 meter cabin Ribtec) who had Brian with them.
The P22 is a terrific boat, as long as you accept 1, Not the prettiest thing afloat and 2, not the fastest either.
They are the Series III Landrover of the Rib world.....solid, easy to work on and reliable.....in my experience so far!!
Last week end, I covered approx 155 miles and fuel consumption averaged 1.3 litres per mile and averaged 24 knts. Having said that, for most of the trip we had a lot of kit on board.

Anyway, I'm only over the water from you (St. Mawes) so e-mail me or PM if you'd be interested in looking at mine or going for a spin out in it with us some time.

Cheers

Andy
Old 13 July 2005, 22:16   #4

Town: Penzance
Boat name: Shearwater
Make: Halmatic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 440hp diesel jet
Darren,
I am currently selling my Pacific 22 and it is in Mylor. I would be happy for you to have a look at it and a test drive if you are interested. If you do go for a spin in Andrews boat he has worked on my boat (wiring and fitting new seals to the engine) so you could ask him about it. If you are interested I am looking for between £10000 and £11000 on a trailor (could do with bearing and brake service) and with VHF, DSC, gps and fishfinder
Duncan
duncan@kneelo.org
Old 14 July 2005, 07:45   #5

Make: Tornado
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Outboard
Thanks all for the replies.

Perfect, two owners on my doorstep, with one selling!

Does anyone have any advice specific to P22s for what to look for, check or avoid when buying?