Click Here to Login

Old 05 October 2021, 14:37   #1

Town: High Wycombe
Boat name: Miles Away
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
Overwintering... Yamaha 90AETO

So I used to have a 35hp tiller steer evinrude. Actually I still do but the point is running the cards dry, disconnecting the fuel tank and chucking what was left over in to the car was easy at the end of each season.

Now with the bigger engine what do I do?

Drain the inboard tank witha syphon? leave the fuel but put in fuel stabiliser? (if so which one), leave fuel in the carbs?

Any tips for winter procedure most welcome.

Cheers
Old 05 October 2021, 16:23   #2

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
There are lots of threads on this topic but the recent change maybe that you've used E10 fuel. If so get it out and run some E5 or better fuel thru the system before winter.
I try to leave the tank low and then fill with fresh in the spring - it seems to work fine. Other use stabilizer and suggest a complete fill to limit condensation. There are lots of options aside of leaving E10 in the tank!
Old 05 October 2021, 18:37   #3

Great thanks.

Nope no E10 for me - sounds like awful stuff - E5 all the way.

I think I will leave it reasonably empty and cover the tank with old blankets - that should help keep the dew point away from making too much condensation.

What stabiliser is best I was thinking about Stabil 360 Marine
Old 05 October 2021, 19:57   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Overwintering... Yamaha 90AETO

Super plus for me but it can get depressing trying to get 200 plus litres filled up in cans and onto the pontoon 🤷.
I’ve used it in an old 2 stroke Yam 50 and a new Evinrude 50 and now a Merc 200 and never had a problem leaving it for up to 6 months on a trailer or on the water.
Hoping for a few winter trips this year though!
Old 05 October 2021, 20:17   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol
Old 05 October 2021, 20:19   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Yup, I’ve got to start using Esso
Old 05 October 2021, 20:24   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
Yup, I’ve got to start using Esso
I’m using BP plus liquid engineer stableiser
Old 05 October 2021, 22:14   #8

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Used quickstor last few years will continue too might add some super night chance E10 and quikstor added at some time as fuel and run through motor (injected) have left tanks full in the pay but last year was 20l of 70l and was fine topped off with Asda finest regular ……. Of course they don’t sell super (yet) not sure it’s worth going hunting for it at the moment either

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Quicks...BoCCqwQAvD_BwE
Old 06 October 2021, 06:38   #9

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Melville View Post
Great thanks.

Nope no E10 for me - sounds like awful stuff - E5 all the way.

I think I will leave it reasonably empty and cover the tank with old blankets - that should help keep the dew point away from making too much condensation.

What stabiliser is best I was thinking about Stabil 360 Marine
How much water is currently in your fuel tank? That's the important question that you need to know the answer to. It's the water content that's going to be the issue over winter.

You can drain the fuel out of the engine. You can even plug in a portable tank with some zero ethanol garden fuel in it but tapping the carb pot and filter after running dry is really all you need to do. But it's the fuel in an internal tank that is the big question.

If you know there is no water in the tank and if you know you can seal the tank then there isn't really anything to cause any problems.

E10 can actually be better than E5 depending on how much excess water you have in your tank. Ethanol will take up a small amount of water into solution which is actually a good thing through the season as it keeps your tank dry (if you start the season with a dry tank). But it can only take up so much and then if there is excess water remaining you begin to get the reaction that some call phase separation where the ethanol binds to the water forming an emulsion that drops out of solution. This reaction is very slow at RT&P and does need excess water, the kind of amounts you only get through poor maintenance and would mess up an engine if sucked in anyway. The reaction takes 3-6 months to get going and for us in the UK, given our winter temps we'd be at the longer end of the range.

The key being that any action that you take requires you knowing how much water is in your tank. Logic therefor means you might as well ensure there is no water in your tank.

A stabiliser doesn't stop or fix anything but instead seeks to slow down and delay the inevitable problems of inadequate maintenance but it can only do this between zero and at best maybe 3 months. What these stabilisers attempt to do is firstly bind with the water in your tank quicker than ethanol can and then get you to run it through your engine so in reality it's your expensive engine that they are using to get a load of much and their chemicals out of your fuel tank. It then aims to simply leave a layer of its own much lying on top of your petrol as a skin to slow down atmospheric oxygen from being able to react with the petrol as well as the more volatile, higher octane fractions evaporating off.

Another way to look at it is that these chemicals are basically the equivalent of swallowing spiders to catch flies when common sense tends to suggest not swallowing flies is the smarter course of action followed by getting rid of that fly yourself.

If someone has the ability to drain their internal tank then this is absolutely the sensible path to take. The end result being that you know there is no water in your tank but the added bonus is that there is no fuel to worry about going off.

Even if you can seal your tank off from the atmosphere and you know there is no water in your tank you still have the corrosive issue of ethanol to contend with. Over winter, in our country, it's debatable what sort of corrosion it can get up to but there will be some. Yes, you could take a punt on an E5 that may or may not be E0. Esso's map of GB and which pumps are served by which refineries doesn't strike me as particularly accurate and not would I waste any time asking an employee.

I think I'd rather clean the tank out at the end of the season, tup in a gallon of garden centre fuel, winterise as normal and go and relax for 5/6 mo the safe in the knowledge that E0/E5/e10 isn't my problem and won't ever be because I maintain a dry and clean tank and any ethanol used during the season helps by taking up the water from normal tank sweating and gets rid of it.
Old 06 October 2021, 07:39   #10

OK TmMorris thanks very much for such a comprehensive reply.

I I have a 100l lank and it's not secured in it's locker (which I plan to change) anyway that means if I disconnect the fuel line, the breather and the fuel gauge wires I can lift it out. Then I could literally. tip it up and drain it.

I think each of my carbs has a little brass drain plug so I could do that too - best watch out brass is super soft isn't it.

when you say zero ethanol fuel / garden centre fuel do you mean alkylate fuel? That is what I run in my garden machinery.

My local Esso does sell the super+ 99 so I could stick a gallon of that back in after - I'm going to use that from now on because I contacted Yamaha and they said don't use E10 whatever you do.

Not sure whether once that is back in the tank I would pull some through to get it into the fuel lines and displace the old stuff or not...
Old 06 October 2021, 08:31   #11

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Might be possible to jerry rig a leaf blower or vacuum cleaner to blow fuel through? Super Unleaded is easiest as you say.
Old 06 October 2021, 13:21   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Might be possible to jerry rig a leaf blower or vacuum cleaner to blow fuel through? Super Unleaded is easiest as you say.
Are you suggesting using a leaf blower or vacuum cleaner around petrol? What could possibly go wrong with petrol vapour and a non-intrinsically safe motor.
Old 06 October 2021, 13:25   #13

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Are you suggesting using a leaf blower or vacuum cleaner around petrol? What could possibly go wrong with petrol vapour and a non-intrinsically safe motor.
You're right. Manual air pump needed
Or just periodically running the engine
Old 06 October 2021, 13:36   #14

I did mean run the engine
Old 06 October 2021, 17:07   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
You're right. Manual air pump needed
Or just periodically running the engine
Still creates static a manual pump
Old 06 October 2021, 19:13   #16

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Black Bear
Make: Ribeye A683
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 232039276
We don't do 'winteriseing'. Just keep your boat ready to go. Some of our best trips out have been in Autumn-Winter-Spring. Winter in particular provides some fantastic days out on the water - flat water, clear blue skies etc. You just need to dress for the occasion. Keep the tank brimmed and look forward to some great days out
Old 06 October 2021, 19:20   #17

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Black Bear
Make: Ribeye A683
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 232039276
ps Mrs FZ just said 'it's a RIB, it's waterproof'

Tags
yamaha