Old 02 May 2017, 21:08   #1

Town: Cowdenbeath
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
outboard safety lead

Hi,
i've seen a few videos now of outboards twisting off and being lost, (not to mention the danger) I know it won't lesson the risk factor to myself or the sib but how exactly should i fit a safety lead to the outboard, it's a Mariner outboard-any recommended fixing point ?

Thanks
Andy
Old 09 May 2017, 16:06   #2

Town: London
Length: 6m +
Well if you the clamps up tight enough, then check them whilst underway, they wont fall off.

If you need a security leash / chain, clip or tie a rope / chain to a suitable point on the engine, and run to a D-ring on the boat, or fit a u-bolt to the transom and tie off/clip to that.
Old 10 May 2017, 08:22   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Most small SIBs have a tie off point on the inside of the mounting plate. The engine likely has an eye near the bolts - just use a short length of line to lash the two together or you can work something fancier up with a line and clip. All it has to do is stop the engine clamps rising if they loosen. As mike says - re-tighten the bolts when you are afloat with the engine down, it's amazing how much play they hide ashore, just like a horse holding it's breath when you stick a saddle on it!

It's a legitimate concern BTW - I know two individuals who lost their outboards (for ever).
Old 10 May 2017, 09:25   #4

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
You can also add a drop nose pin though the bolt holes, or a bolt with a wing nut. to allow a quick alternative to catching it once it has come off, ensure you seal the hole inside to stop any water ingress if you do.

Adding a carbine clip between the holes in the winding levers Turn them till the are tight and facing inwards can also assist stopping any un-winding.
Old 10 May 2017, 18:40   #5

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post

Adding a carbine clip between the holes in the winding levers Turn them till the are tight and facing inwards can also assist stopping any un-winding.
A thick cable tie can be used and has the advantage of not rattling or rusting, disadvantage is that they are disposable probably need cutting off after each trip.

Tags
outboard