Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Outboard Fatality

Boy Dies in Junior Sailing Program

Centerport, New York, July 18, 2017
A 10-year-old boy taking sailing lessons in the waters off Long Island was fatally injured when he fell out of an instructor’s boat and struck the propeller, officials have reported.
The youngster had been part of the Centerport Yacht Club’s sailing school and was taking part in a lesson on capsizing in Northport Harbor when the tragedy unfolded at around 3 pm, according to Suffolk County Assistant Police Commissioner Justin Meyers.
“There were three students taking sailing lessons,” Meyers told The Post.
“As part of the instruction, the boat capsized. Two of the students remained in the boat. One was in the water,” Meyers said. “The instructor in the zodiac boat drove over to the student and pulled him out of the water and got him into the craft. At that point, the instructor started to drive the motorized boat and the student fell out. The propeller struck him. The instructor pulled him back in and began giving him CPR.”
Paramedics arrived on the scene, soon-after, and rushed the boy to Huntington Hospital in critical condition. He later died from his injuries.

Boy taking sailing lessons dies after falling out of boat, striking propeller | New York Post
Old 19 July 2017, 10:35   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Tragic.

My daughter (22) is considering training to use the sailing club safety RIB and I hope she realises the huge responsibility that can carry... 95% routine but in that 5% circumstance care and procedure so important.

I've just showed the article to Mrs Fenlander and commented it is why I always warn everyone on board before a major speed or direction change.
Old 19 July 2017, 19:33   #3

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Tragic, I still can't understand how this could happen, he fell off the transom but hit the prop?
Old 20 July 2017, 22:09   #4

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Don't think we've got the full story yet.
According to the link 'The youth tumbled into the water and then got his life jacket entangled in the boat’s propeller, leading to his injuries.'

Tags
outboard