Old 14 June 2005, 06:57   #1
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Osprey or Searider?

In my quest to find a smaller boat, I have found 2 Searider SR5.4s and an Osprey Sparrowhawk 5.5m. The Osprey has a Yamaha 60hp while one of the Seariders has a Merc 90hp and the other a merc 75hp. They are all asking similar prices but I am in a quandry as to which to go for.....

...So good and bad points about both boat please
Old 14 June 2005, 07:23   #2

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Tue
A couple of questions that might aid your choice.
Are you keeping it on the water? if so the flooding chamber on a searider I have heard can get clogged up. That said I know of one that was used most days for dinghy work and it was fine. Also flooding chamber means good stability at rest for dive in/out.
Is something this small big enough for your uses I assume its for 2+ divers and coxswain & yes I know the comment about assumptions!
I hope someone else will comment on the Sparrow hawk as my knowledge is minimal.
Rgds
James
Old 14 June 2005, 08:32   #3

Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
I can't comment on the osprey, but the SR 5.4 is possibly the most durable small RIB out there at the moment. It is good to check that the tube valves are OK, because it is possible to keep air in searider tubes by just using the valve cap! The boats have good seakeeping ability, perhaps not as good as the newer designs because of the low bow, but very good nonetheless. Buy some decent waterproofs if you want to take the searider out in waves. It can get very wet inside! Always safe though. Avon's tubes which they put on these are possibly the most durable ones out there!

People say think of the P22 as the landrover of the sea. In reality, think of the SR5.4 as the SWB '90' version!

Oh, don't overpower the searider. Even the 75 merc is a bit on the big side!

HTH

Matt
Old 15 June 2005, 16:48   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Wet? Overpowered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Riley
I can't comment on the osprey, but the SR 5.4 is possibly the most durable small RIB out there at the moment. It is good to check that the tube valves are OK, because it is possible to keep air in searider tubes by just using the valve cap! The boats have good seakeeping ability, perhaps not as good as the newer designs because of the low bow, but very good nonetheless. Buy some decent waterproofs if you want to take the searider out in waves. It can get very wet inside! Always safe though. Avon's tubes which they put on these are possibly the most durable ones out there!

People say think of the P22 as the landrover of the sea. In reality, think of the SR5.4 as the SWB '90' version!

Oh, don't overpower the searider. Even the 75 merc is a bit on the big side!

HTH

Matt
Never found my Searider to be wet unless it was very heavily laden (9 persons) and you were going too slowly. Once up and running (25 knots) it is pretty dry.

90hp too much? If you are using the boat lightly loaded 90hp is more than you NEED but not too much. When you load the boat up with kit you will appreciate the extra power. Also it means you can do 30 knots at a sensible 3800rpm without thrashing the engine giving reasonable fuel economy. 60hp I consider to be the bare minimum on a 5.4m. 75hp is probably a good size.
That said, Seariders can chine walk at speeds above about 35knots, which is fun!

Less seaworthy than more modern designs? I don't think so. The navy are still buying them.

Durable tubes - yes - the best. Much better fabric than my Scorpion tubes.
Valves - check them - mines just had one renewed.

Mine is still for sale at JBT Marine - give them a call or PM RIVA and have a look.

Happy shopping
Old 15 June 2005, 17:53   #5
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Despite my 2 options I have decided to go for another Ribtec . A 535 with a 90hp Yammy on the back
Old 15 June 2005, 17:55   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider

Less seaworthy than more modern designs? I don't think so. The navy are still buying them.

Durable tubes - yes - the best. Much better fabric than my Scorpion tubes.
Valves - check them - mines just had one renewed.

Mine is still for sale at JBT Marine - give them a call or PM RIVA and have a look.

Happy shopping
They certainly build them right in Llanelli - and when you see the conditions the local boaters have to face you will know why!!! Lougher Estuary HAS to be the dodgiest stretch of water anywhere!!!