Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 19 December 2004, 04:21   #1

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2000 Tohatsu 50
Opinions please about this service I started.

Ok I know its not the right forum but well let me preface by saying it has boats in it. Anyways I've been working for the past year on developing a classified marketplace with a little look and feel like Ebay but not really. The service is 100% free. You get unlimited ads, 4 photos each, and 180 day listing period. Members also get a webstore to manage and update all their ads as needed. This is for small business or individual sellers. Buyers do not need to register. There are no fees. It would be banner ad supported. I just launched the service in the us but was wondering what you guys would think about using this service in the UK? Is there something already like it? What do you think about it? The name, logo, etc? I really would appreciate the feedback. http://www.blujay.com I've taken a bit of risk by quitting my job to persue this idea, I'm a little low on opinions and what people think it needs for them to use this service.

I've also taken my Searider out quite a bit recently and love the way it runs I will try to post some photos. I also managed to rebuild my Suzuki Dt30 and am in the process of breaking it in. I have both the searider and sportboat running, its a blast.

Thanks,
Boatster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	searider1.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	9662   Click image for larger version

Name:	searider2.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	9663   Click image for larger version

Name:	sportboat.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	9664  
Old 19 December 2004, 16:40   #2

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
For what my opinion is worth to sell things looks good i would use it and good luck. you will soon be worth millions
Old 19 December 2004, 16:47   #3

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Yes - I'd be interested - if it was also advertised as selling UK boats (eg a search on Google looking for "boats for sale UK" would also find your site)

You will have to change the registration page as at present it will only let you register if you are in the US (Valid town, state + Zipcode)

I currently have 2 boats for sale - privately

www.tomkat.co.uk
www.ribpanther.co.uk

There are currently a number of UK boat sales sites that come to mind:-

This forum! - http://www.rib.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/
http://www.boats-for-sale.com/
http://www.boatsforsale.co.uk/

and then sites like

http://uk.freeads.net/

But the more the merrier - and if its free........

Cheers
Jools
Old 19 December 2004, 19:45   #4

Thanks

I'm not really trying to make millions, though it wouldn't hurt. I just felt compelled to create a service that wasn't taking so much of my money for selling stuff on the net. Banner advertisement I think would be a legitimate way to support the service. It would be great if I could spend more time on the water too It looks like uk.freeads is a good and working site. Selling on the internet should be free really. Services like Ebay are a big gorilla I think.

Please anymore feedback? 150+ views, your opinions would help me greatly.

Thank you.

Boatster
Old 20 December 2004, 01:04   #5

What is the Consensus?

Would you guys use blujay.com if I were to create a UK version of the service? And if not why? I'd really consider doing it if theres enough interest. The site is basically designed so you can clear out your garage and sell anything from your car, rib, old books, furniture, knick knacks, whatever. I have been listing alot of my smaller items and so far I've sold quite a bit. I even sold my old avon sib with a 15 hp merc, all commission free. Like they say a pictures worth a thousand words, and with blujay.com you get 4 pictures per ad, all for free.

If you all feel like I am spamming I will try to delete this whole thread. Otherwise I just need opinions. Thanks.

Boatster
Old 20 December 2004, 04:54   #6

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
IMHO-The idea is good and I would probabaly use it to buy if it became popular enough for items to be available localy,freeads is good in that it lists items in order of distance from a postcode,however as it doesnt specialize like boats and outboards,or autotrader and doesnt have pictures,I dont check it so often.
For selling purposes,I would use it as you can add pictures.
Old 21 December 2004, 19:18   #7

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
opinion

for what mine is worth , it should work if you can get abig enough audience and localise it a bit to say country by country as per ebay.

That blinkin sandwich boat (the Sanger is a bit ott for herne bay though!!).
I'm always on the lookout for somewhere else to paste an ad!!
good luck
Old 22 December 2004, 04:53   #8

Thanks Mike

I'm just now realizing how hard it is to get people to try out the service. The dilemna is nobody wants to try because nobody is there. But if nobody is willing to try nobody will look. I don't know what to do really. It seems everyone is pretty happy with Ebay being the only service out there. What alot of sellers fail to realize is this service in fact does work. It has already been working for me. I swear! People find my stuff somehow through google. The site gets ~150 hits per day from all over the place. I've personally sold several big ticket items through blujay and I don't have to pay 5% commission to Ebay!!
Old 22 December 2004, 09:29   #9

Town: Blandford / London
Boat name: Top Cat
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 235020739
Hi boatster

I have had a look blujay and commend your efforts. I have also used ebay, my first thoughts are if you don’t have to register to sell how are you going to prevent fraudulent use ? I agree with your sentiments about the web, however even with ebays security and registration process there have been a couple of cases already of fraud and I believe that there have even been some convictions in the US. Also the other expense related to online selling is the cost of services such as PayPal.

Good luck and keep up the good work, always good see some health competition.

Rgds

Pete
Old 22 December 2004, 18:35   #10

Hi Pmorgan

Hi Pete,

you actually do have to register to post. There are two ways: one, you can register then post after you login. two, you can post immediately and then fill out the registration. After you register your post will show up. With regards to fraud not much can be done about longer distance transactions. However the hope is that as more people start buying and selling online people can purchase items in person locally. Of course that is only a hope. I personally don't see why people sell so many items on Ebay and take that 5% hit when the items could be sold for the final closing Ebay price if you listed in a classified. It might take a little longer but the person would keep that 5% for themselves and most likely not have to use Paypal and take that extra 3% hit.

This still begs the question would you guys use blujay.com if I were to make a uk version? Say uk.blujay.com ????
Old 22 December 2004, 18:57   #11

Count me in i would definately use it some people ,not present company on rib net. wouldnt now a good thing if it was handed to them on a plate . by using this facility you are loosing nothing and gaining the oppertunity of getting rid of allthose items you have kept for arainy day
Old 22 December 2004, 19:01   #12

I heve just read some previous threads you are not spaming on .
Old 23 December 2004, 00:16   #13

I am considering starting a uk site

Thanks for the vote of confidence Nofear,

I am seriously considering making a site for the UK.
Old 24 December 2004, 15:33   #14

Town: Flensburg
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Suzuki DT75 ?
Hi boatster,

although I have to admit that you`re very courageous in starting this thing I doubt that you will have a long-term success with it. I hate to say so but I think a lot of people are thinking about selling on the internet like this (me too):
Thank-god there is JUST ebay and nothing else. If I go to their site and start my auctions there, I`m almost 100% sure that I get each and every person to look at them. I`m definetly willing to pay for that. Anything that will divide people from it is not welcome- at least not for me as a seller.
I`m just starting my own business as well and only ebay gives me the opportunity to do so! Don´t get me wrong: Normally I curse these idiots who run their pages ten times a day since the do never improve anything, they just make their pages worse and slower and worse and slower and worse...... by simply overloading them with stupid things nobody wants! They are greedy down to the bone and customer service is almost down to zero, I know, I know. But still: As a seller I´m absolutly happy with the fact that there is nobody else out there.
Every half a year or so somebody tries to start something similar with only the best intentions and, sometimes, even very good ideas- they all fail. From my point of view only Bill Gates could come up with a real competition to ebay and this might as well eat up his complete fortune since he`d to GIVE anyone a buck for an auction who´s willing to run his auctions on his site!

Besides from that you did a great job in designing the site, logo and stuff like that- wish I could do as good! And furthermore I wish you all the success you need, because I think it`s great if somebody`s willing to take risks to run his own thing- no matter wether I think it might be successfull or not.... You will probably think the same way about my business, so what?

many greetings,
Wolfie
Old 24 December 2004, 18:51   #15

Hi ribfreak

Thanks,

for your thoughts on the topic. There are several reasons why I feel blujay.com can at the very least fit a niche that Ebay cannot. For one, very unique items need more time to find the right buyer. On Ebay you can get at most a 10 day listing period. This simply will not work for alot of items. As rib owners I'm sure we have seen ribs list, and relist, and eventually disappear without a winning bidder. This happens with many items. Ebay cannot and will not allow longer listing periods because that will rob their site of the kind of spontenaity and bidding frenzy that sucks buyers in. I could go on about other weaknesses in their model but it would go too long.

However from a fundamental perspective I also think they are "Exploiting" peoples emotions when making purchases. I think although this gets people excited about the hunt/bidding/winning/ etc alot of people check their shopping sense out the door when using Ebay. There is a trend in the US where sellers are relisting items sold on Walmart on Ebay. They literally don't even touch the merchandise, it gets shipped from Walmart to the buyer.
We all know whats great about auctions, the rush, the exploitive nature of the pressure sell.

I believe things will come full circle and people will eventually get tired of getting ripped off, and the pressure sell. Classifieds will be new again and people should be able to make informed purchases with all the time they need to. Why give 5% of your depreciated items value to some website to sell in a week? Sounds pretty rigid too me! I've already sold 4 items on blujay.com in total $900 dollars worth (in all honesty) within the past month. I can't imagine giving ~$60 of my hard earned money to Ebay for doing what I could do on my own, find a good buyer. In the same time one of the first users of blujay also sold 2 vehicles through blujay within this first month. If you are a small business, I can understand how Ebay may give you that exposure. But if you rely on that, expect them taking 5% of your gross sales AND an extra 3% for using paypal. Thats 8% for you to use their website!! You can either get creative or get in line.......

BTW thanks for your thoughts on the site. blujay.com will be here for the long haul. At the very least it will find its niche.