Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
Opinions gratefully received

Hi There

Would appreciate if anyone can take some time out to educate me, Hoping to find second hand package with slightly flexible 10K budget in the new year, One boat that particularly catches my eye is the RIBeye playtime 5.5, However I note that it is manufactured from ‘Hypatex’ not ‘Hypalon’ which I assume is the lower quality ‘PVC’ used by some manufacturers? Is this something that would concern the more experienced??

Also, have a particular seating arrangement in mind (two single jockey + bench seat) if I comprise is it practical to retro fit preferred arrangement at a later date?

Finally, have also identified Zodiac Pro open as preferred hence would appreciate any views on these Rigs or any suggestions which others to add to the list, think 5.5M + 115hp would be ideal for my requirements (coastal hopping + watersports)

Thanks .... Adrian
Old 07 November 2012, 12:11   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Hypalon is not kevlar, just stands more sun UV abuse than PVC. If rib will be living all the time moored in water environments then go for hypalon, if shaded, garage kept whatever, PVC will last long and cost much less. Now a days can find solar protector sprays that work very well protecting PVC. You and budget will decide...

Zodiac uses Strongan a fancy French name for PVC so not an issue with it. Hypatex could be Hypalon with other name, you can't use any more the word Hypalon as it's a registered brand made by Dupont and currently out of production, a matter to ask the builder.

Happy Boating
Old 10 November 2012, 08:25   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I wouldn't buy either of these and I certainly wouldn't be keen to buy PVC.. why have you settled on either of these?

Rinh a few rib toob repairers and ask what kind of warranty they will give on PVC or HYPALON repairs. It's usually longer on Hypalon

the two most established makers of Hypalon are ORCA and Fennel ( I Think) dunno if either of them do Hypatex

no Problem to retrofit anything to a GRP deck providing you have the space and the weight capacity

Searider, Tohatsu, Ribcraft Solent come to mind

http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/ribeye-h...lon-15565.html
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2012, 15:29   #4

Town: Basingstoke
Make: Ribeye 785s
Engine: Honda 225 K3
MMSI: 232018159
Hi, I have had exact same choices in mind for my search. Family cruising as well as occasional blast is what led me to these configurations.

I also had same budget but was cautious of age. As mentioned, Hyperion lasts longer and so I was not too keen for a 10yr old plus boat in PVC. At this budget you are right on the edge of getting something reasonable.

In the end I oped for a 2005 Open Pro which I got for £10k. For a similar age boat, the Ribeyes were £16k.

I had a lot of recommendations on this forum for the Zodiac but also found one common issue. It planes with the very rear of the tubes just touching the water. This gives stability, but means that most have an issue with the tube seams where they join the cones. Best to budget £4-600 to get these repaired / a good size patch overlayed, if they have not gone already, they will.

I have not even collected my Zodiac yet so can't say much more than the test drive was good. Mine has a Honda 90 fourstroke on the back and gets up with no struggle at all.

I did enquire about retro fitting and it is an option, but expensive. Count on over a grand for a bench seat and prob 600 quid per small jockey. You could easily be in for £2500 (if you need a new console, more) if you want to replicate a playtime. My view is get the right layout in the first place even if you have to pay a bit more.

Hope this helps.
Old 10 November 2012, 19:59   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I kinda agree with your last sentence but I think your paying too mush for you GRP work

The jockey console and two seat pods, anchor locker and Flo coating including fitting and all upholstery stainless cost me 2200 GBP made and fitted in the UK by professionals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribworx retube.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	74044   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121103_123534.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	74045  
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2012, 12:07   #6

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Is that Strongan or Hypalon made rib ? first is factory standard, second is an option..

Happy Boating