Old 04 September 2018, 18:41   #1

Town: kingsbridge
Make: ring 18
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140 tohatsu
Off shore / Abroad work

Hi guys

I'm seeking some information on what I'm currently suitable to do job title wise off shore / abroad.

I've just finished my sport and exercise science degree in cardiff and always have a big interest etc for boating my whole life. Working offshore on a rotational basis kinda appeals to me therefore I'm requesting on more information on were to look and what jobs im suited too along with the pay side of things.

Got my PB lvl 2 (aware that i may need to do a few more qualifications)

Any help would be hugely appreciated

Cheers
Old 05 September 2018, 13:24   #2

Skippering work will need to be commercially endorsed. You can commercially endorse your PB2 but it limits you to so close to land and by day only that it’s not a lot of use for commercial work.

I’d look to do your Advanced, and commercially endorse that. You’ll need your VHF Short Range Certificate, an approved first aid ticket, a medical (ENG1 usually though it’s possible to use an ML5 for inshore stuff), PPR course (done online) and a sea survival course (I recommend STCW rather than RYA as if you find a job needing all the STCW basics you’ve already ticked one off).

If you’re going to try and make a career of it it wouldn’t be a bad plan to start with your medical, no point in throwing thousands into qualifications if it turns out you can’t pass an ENG1.

In terms of work there’s all sorts, safety boat work is regular if a touch monotonous, pleasure trips if you’re somewhere scenic, things like pilot boat coxswain (although they usually prefer Yachtmaster Offshore or even Master 200 GRT) etc.

Good luck in your new career.
Old 07 September 2018, 07:20   #3

Thanks for your reply mate!

The medical is something i’ve Thought about as I do wear hearing aids.

I’ve thinking about wind farms or oil rigs etc as I believe the pay is fairly decent if you know? But just need to work out what job titles would suit understand I would need to do some qualifications - but then need to weigh out the costs (as if the pay not great then may not be worth it)

Henry
Old 07 September 2018, 11:36   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Off shore / Abroad work

Hi Henry.

I’d start off by arranging an ENG1 medical as soon as possible. This is the industry wide medical assessment you’ll need to pass to work at sea. I don’t think hearing aids would be an issue but better to find out sooner rather than later if that could pose an issue. If you google ENG1 medical you’ll find a list on the MCA website which shows all the doctors in the U.K. who can do this. The assessment takes about half an hour and costs about £100 (I’ve forgotten the exact cost).

You mention wind farms. You can indeed earn a decent daily rate doing this and plenty of work all around the U.K. at the moment. Most operators require a minimum of Yachtmaster for deck hands and Master 200 for skipper.

Another option (which is the area I work in) is the superyacht industry. Powerboat level 2 (along with STCW, ENG1 and anything else you can do) is a good set of starter tickets to have to start looking at an entry level deckhand position. The pay is pretty good and you get to work abroad. However it requires some serious commitment.

With just a level 2 you will be somewhat limited, particularly in the winter months when charter operations in the U.K. tend to be a bit quieter. You may however be able to find work as a crew member working for a sea safari operator or similar next spring when lots of companies start looking for seasonal crew.

Good luck!
Old 09 September 2018, 20:45   #5

Thanks for that.....

I will defo look into the medical acessment side of things and the costings of the yacht master etc for the wind farm market as that seems appealing to me on the rotation basis.

Do you know of any websites I can look at for job descriptions & salaries etc to give myself more research etc.

cheers for the help guys
Old 10 September 2018, 13:46   #6

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners115 View Post
Thanks for that.....

I will defo look into the medical acessment side of things and the costings of the yacht master etc for the wind farm market as that seems appealing to me on the rotation basis.

Do you know of any websites I can look at for job descriptions & salaries etc to give myself more research etc.

cheers for the help guys
Couple of sites which are pretty useful; both contain indications of salaries as well as other useful info:

https://ypicrew.com/yacht-crew-salary/

Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Superyacht Captains And Superyacht Crew - Home

As a ballpark figure, a "green" deckhand with basic qualifications and little experience would probably start off on around €2500 a month. The advantage of super-yachting is this is generally tax free, and all of your living expenses are covered (food, accommodation onboard, even vacation flights if you're on a full time contract)

Here's the ENG1 Doctors list btw: https://assets.publishing.service.go...ors_in_UK_.pdf
Old 04 October 2018, 19:03   #7

Cheers again Tim, top man!

I'll look at doing a medical first as you mentioned.

Been looking at some deckhand jobs on wind farms on a rotational basis is where I'm wanting to go I feel.

I noticed on some jobs they ask for some experience etc, what is the best way to get some experience?, which would be suited as I plan to start training etc next year. (I have a lot of boating experience etc but I understand specific experience would benefit).