Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 28 September 2016, 11:32   #21

Town: global
Boat name: VSR
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
I don't know what the problem is here sailrib and what good the maker will be other than tell you where the tank is located.
Yes Xk59D, the location specs/drawing and construction details of deck. Any tricks they may have learned along the way with the numerous Novurania ribs that needed tanks replacements. Stuff like that.

It would go a long way compared to having a go at it, cutting the floor up blindly trying to figure out where the tank may be. It will certainly limit the foot print and eye sore if knowing that detailed information. Kind of a measure twice, cut once thing.

And yes, an above deck exposed plastic petrol tank is certainly another option. Novurania's are not known for large easily accessible storage spaces.

I feel bad for the OP, it's not a fun thing to deal with limited options; when I think of ribbing I like to think of fun rather than doom. I hope he finds a solution he's happy wth.
Old 28 September 2016, 13:22   #22

It will do no harm to ask them for sure but it doesn't need to be doom and gloom if there is space for a deck tank, they will be back on the water in no time.

Unfortunately a lot of ribs have this type of tank arrangement, including my own.
Old 28 September 2016, 13:50   #23

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
I'd just throw a 12 gallon topside tank on it and run it.

That's what I'm doing right now... My boat did not have a factory below-deck fuel tank.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2016, 17:44   #24

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post

Thanks for links. I wouldn't use either of them In my boat mind. Absolutely love the uk sealants web site. A supplier that understands some people like technical data sheets. Great find.
Old 03 October 2016, 00:41   #25

Town: WAterford
Boat name: na
Make: Rimini
Engine: dt85
Rinse out the tank well and don't bother with foam once it's dry it's dry right.
Why bother filling it with foam? Or am I missing something. It's not like gas is gonna get back in it.
Old 03 October 2016, 11:42   #26

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by idsebby View Post
Rinse out the tank well and don't bother with foam once it's dry it's dry right.
Why bother filling it with foam? Or am I missing something. It's not like gas is gonna get back in it.
I'd never trust it to be free of petrol fumes and if it's leaked out petrol it could leak in water.
Depending on where the leak is, you could end up with half a tank of water that you can't get out.
Old 03 October 2016, 12:05   #27

Drop a match in the tank, that will tell you if you have vapour!

Will get good access to the tank then if there are vapours.
Old 03 October 2016, 19:07   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Drop a match in the tank, that will tell you if you have vapour!

Will get good access to the tank then if there are vapours.
Better still, get your boss to do it for you.
Old 12 October 2016, 14:22   #29

Town: WAterford
Boat name: na
Make: Rimini
Engine: dt85
Honestly I have had loads of experience with blowing up petrol cans. I am only proud because I came away with my life . I Don't think a washed out stainless or even plastic tank will be very dangerous if rinsed out properly. Fumes need gas to become fumes if you get out the gas and air out the fumes your not gonna have a bother. Petrol will not reappear in your tank over night if it did we all would be spending much less every trip . If you are worried about water getting back in the tank just seal it with some tank seal. Or throw some old paint in then run your electric inflation pump into the tank to dry it. Just do this after its washed and dried out.
Old 16 October 2016, 15:35   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by idsebby View Post
If you are worried about water getting back in the tank just seal it with some tank seal. Or throw some old paint in then run your electric inflation pump into the tank to dry it. Just do this after its washed and dried out.
So if the leak is near the top of the tank, say near the filler or vent fitting how much paint are you going to put in. there's no access to see where the leak is or to try to repair it. My own tank was relatively easy to remove, Coastline had fitted it in a sealed well under the console, but even with it removed it was difficult to find. With the Ribeye we even tried with an endoscope to find the leak (only 10 years old) but no chance.