Old 18 February 2010, 22:03   #21

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I bought a new Northcraft around 15 years ago and John, the owner, couldn't have been more helpful. I've spoken with him more recently and I didn't get the impression that things are any different now. They cater more for the commercial, rather than leisure user, but will build a RIB to the customer's spec. Mine had an under deck locker for water skis and Trickdog on here had one built recently with 2-tone toobs. It's a small company and maybe when times are busy, they don't have the capacity to increase production rates and prefer not to stack up orders.
Yeah,but adding bells and whistles didn't detract from the fact that the boat had fairly shite sea-keeping capablities.
Old 18 February 2010, 22:17   #22

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
We only have Muz's version of events. There was a dealer involved there too (and its technically his responsibility to Northcrafts) and the transom did get repaired in the end; albeit that Muz still wasn't happy.

But the point is - this was Murray's 3rd Northcraft so he had 2 boats he was happy with first. I spoke to a Northcraft owner at the weekend who was perfectly happy with his boat.
Its a public Forum Polwart... so either party were free to post if they wanted to.. the fact they didnt suggests, they had no argument !

For the record .. I stated that atleast FYM did something ! .. Northcraft did NOTHING ! .. and buried their heads in the sand leaving the dealer high and dry & the customer too, and that was very bad for such a serious fault

The other Northcrafts I had worked oK .. but the tubes were rubbish on all of them compared to my last Valliant boat also supplied by FYM .. what a difference .. the tubes never had air pumped into them in 2 years , where as the Northcraft needed air every 2 weeks, if not 2 Days
Old 18 February 2010, 23:42   #23

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Yeah,but adding bells and whistles didn't detract from the fact that the boat had fairly shite sea-keeping capablities.
Compared to your old 6.5m Vipermax, I agree, it was in a different league, but in comparison with other RIBs of the same size (5.3m) from its era, it was alright.

As the hull was shuttered down from the mould for the 6.3m RIB, it had a disproportionately wide beam (2.4m) for its length, so was always going to be a bit 'wobbly', but on the upside, it had a lot of deck space, which I found handy. It could have done with more volume in the bow for ruff seas though.

I understand the hull design has been developed since then, with a further raised bow, although I've never been on board one of these newer boats.
Old 19 February 2010, 06:15   #24

Town: Morecambe
Boat name: Various
Make: Various
Length: 10m +
Engine: Various
I will have a good tale to tell in a few months after the court case, regarding transoms and engines, on a brand new boat, watch this space !!!
Old 19 February 2010, 18:42   #25
ADI

Town: scotland
Make: a few
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard / inboard
I have heard a whiff of that story. A pair of engines falling of that boat and everyone is pointing the finger!

I look forward to your story Trell, maybe they will become the new "Northcraft" of this site.

Oh...... How the mighty may fall...
Old 19 February 2010, 18:55   #26
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
For the record .. I stated that at least FYM did something
Do I understand correctly, that in this case, FYM were not shite?
Old 27 January 2018, 16:35   #27

Town: sheffield
Boat name: barracuda
Make: Humber 7.6 mts
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200HP mercury
re northcraft ribs

the norhtcraft ribs are a very well built boat the ref re the transom cracking was i customer who insisted on a bigger rated engine than allowed and he fitted this himself so was NOT NORTHCRAFT Fault but he is getting the stick about this

thanks

stephen eyre
Old 27 January 2018, 16:46   #28

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheneyre View Post
the norhtcraft ribs are a very well built boat the ref re the transom cracking was i customer who insisted on a bigger rated engine than allowed and he fitted this himself so was NOT NORTHCRAFT Fault but he is getting the stick about this

thanks

stephen eyre

Bringing up a 8 year old thread ......
I’m sure Northcraft will like you for that [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 27 January 2018, 16:49   #29

A mate of mine has a northcraft 6.5 bought spank new with a 90 Suzuki on it.....WELL under the rating and transom cracked.

Revive an old thread but his one is not well built.
Old 28 January 2018, 14:29   #30
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheneyre View Post

thanks

stephen eyre

Are they still built the same since they sold up (to someone making mouldings but with no obvious marine experience IIRC)? Is this Bigmuz’s crack you were talking about or another one? AFAIK Bigmuz’s engine wasn’t over rated and he didn’t fit if the dealer did. That issue was all on here long before the new owner bought them out so they could have done their diligence.