Old 15 July 2009, 21:16   #1

Town: Jersey
Length: no boat
North Shore 6mtr

Hi,
I've been looking a getting a rib and asked a couple of questions on here already as you guys seem to know your stuff and who better to ask then those who have already tried it.
My latest rib to be offered is a North Shore 6mtr being pushed along by a 115 yamaha, believed to have been built around '97. I haven't heard much about this make before so would anybody be able to give me some opinions on them, handling/capabilities values etc, as to me the v doesn't look all that deep and this worries me that it won't take the rough too well. Any opinions would be gratefully appreciated good or bad.
Old 15 July 2009, 21:34   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I thought North Shore were sailing yachts?
Old 15 July 2009, 21:45   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Phil, they only made a few so you might be stuck finding someone to offer a good review of them. The factory is in Havant, Hampshire and there main market is posh yachts with a good reputation and a strong following, so build quality should be good, hopefully it has been looked after.

Suggest the best thing to do is agree with the owner for a serious sea trial, like Jersey to St Malo for lunch and back. You pay for the petrol. If it handles the trip on a reasonable day then proceed. If the owner won't then walk, plenty of ribs for sale at the moment even if some owners are a little unrealistic with the value of there pride and joy in a recession.

One of the best engines from that era btw, so if it's in good condition keep it, ideal size for a 6m rib. About 8 gallons an hour 3/4 throttle.

Pete
Old 16 July 2009, 06:19   #4

Thanks Pete, thought that may have been the case, when i tried searching on Google all that came up were yachts etc.
My problem may be in getting a sea trial that's why i'm trying to dig as much info as poss. The owner doesn't live here anymore and the boat is on a car forecourt for sale at the moment.
As to the engine, i'm pretty confident in the Yamaha, i started my apprenticeship at a Yamaha agent so as an outboard they are my prefered make.
Old 16 July 2009, 09:44   #5

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
looks like you got it sorted
Old 16 July 2009, 09:57   #6
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Surely it will be in the interest of the broker for you to have a sea trial? Worth asking. Sounds a nice RIB!
Old 16 July 2009, 16:01   #7

I'm going to pop down and see if i can get a sea trial but apparently the car forecourt it is on belongs to a mate of the owner so not sure how far they will be interested in going to sell it. Don't know until i try though.
Old 20 July 2009, 16:48   #8

Managed to speak to a couple of people over the weekend and for once living on an island where everyone seems to know everything that's going on has been useful.
Was basically told to steer well clear, apparently the two main things are the tube dividers are no longer, so a hole at any point will deflate the lot and the motor for some unknown reason pumps out all its autolube oil everywhere now and again.
I'm in no rush so think it's best to leave this one and keep on looking what is around, i don't mind a project but don't think this one is worth the hassle.
Thanks your advice, i'll be back for more shortly no doubt.
Old 20 July 2009, 17:22   #9
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Managed to speak to a couple of people over the weekend and for once living on an island where everyone seems to know everything that's going on has been useful.
Was basically told to steer well clear, apparently the two main things are the tube dividers are no longer, so a hole at any point will deflate the lot and the motor for some unknown reason pumps out all its autolube oil everywhere now and again.
I'm in no rush so think it's best to leave this one and keep on looking what is around, i don't mind a project but don't think this one is worth the hassle.
Thanks your advice, i'll be back for more shortly no doubt.
Lucky escape!
Old 21 July 2009, 16:05   #10

Lucky for sure. I spoke to someone else today who was just about to part with their cash on this one then heard the same as i did.
People shouldn't lead you on with things like this, how would they feel if someone bought it, took it out and something happened to them all because they were't told the facts.