Old 18 April 2021, 19:15   #1

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
No brainer to swap?

My boat currently has a 2005 Verado 250 with 700 ish hours.

I have the opportunity to swap for a basically brand new 2018 Verado 250 with 36 hours on it (been in a warehouse for 2 years as original owner swapped to 2x350hp engines).

The cost to change is going to be about £5-6k. To me this feels like a no brainer..?

I wasn’t planning on changing and there is nothing at all wrong with the current one (just spent best part of a grand on various bits and bobs) but...
Old 18 April 2021, 20:44   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post

I have the opportunity to swap for a basically brand new 2018 Verado 250 with 36 hours on it (been in a warehouse for 2 years as original owner swapped to 2x350hp engines).

The cost to change is going to be about £5-6k. To me this feels like a no brainer..?

I wasn’t planning on changing and there is nothing at all wrong with the current one (just spent best part of a grand on various bits and bobs) but...
Sounds like a "goer" to me.....IF the RIB is worth the up-grade (you'll increase the re-sale price on the RIG as a whole anyway! ) and as long as you can know or can verify the hours and History 100%

Any warranty from supplier ? I take it the engine is from a Trader? Rigging in the deal?

....and 5K is better than 6k

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 20:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Sounds like a "goer" to me.....if the RIB is worth the up-grade (you'll increase the re-sale price on the RIG as a whole anyway! ) and as long as you can know or can verify the hours and History 100%
Any warranty from supplier ? I take it the engine is from a Trader? Rigging in the deal?
....and 5K is better than 6k
It’s got best pet of 3 years manufacturer warranty left, I can’t verify the hours but it looks like new...

No rigging but that’s why it’s cheap. Will bring it in from the USA. 5-6k depends how much I get for my old one when I resell it
Old 18 April 2021, 21:03   #4

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Engine: Optimax 225
Ah! Likely to be more complex than you're expecting unless you're familar with the ins & outs of it all. In particular, I would say the majority of people that I know who have imported stuff "blind" have ended up disappointed. The most successful ones have imported stuff by flying out there, buying it, and taking it to the shippers themselves.

Is the 25% tariff on top of VAT & Duty still in place? One buddy got stung by that recently.

Quote:
Will bring it in from the USA
Old 18 April 2021, 21:07   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
It’s got best pet of 3 years manufacturer warranty left, I can’t verify the hours but it looks like new...

No rigging but that’s why it’s cheap. Will bring it in from the USA. 5-6k depends how much I get for my old one when I resell it

Would the warranty still stand if you import it from the US? Would it be classed as a grey import? Would there be duty & VAT to pay? Might not turn out to be the bargain it sounds. Not wanting to pee on your parade, but things to consider.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 21:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Would the warranty still stand if you import it from the US? Would it be classed as a grey import? Would there be duty & VAT to pay? Might not turn out to be the bargain it sounds. Not wanting to pee on your parade, but things to consider.
It’s only the rigging that I will need to buy from the USA, the engine itself is UK.

I’ve bought quite a few Mercury parts off some outfit in Florida. They are cheaper and they deliver quicker than my local dealer 2 mins down the road

I needed three new cowl latching cables a few weeks ago. None in UK, dealer had to order them, and Barrus had no stock and no eta available.
Ordered them from USA eBay. Turned up 3 days later at less cost than UK dealer wanted
Old 18 April 2021, 21:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Ah! Likely to be more complex than you're expecting unless you're familar with the ins & outs of it all. In particular, I would say the majority of people that I know who have imported stuff "blind" have ended up disappointed. The most successful ones have imported stuff by flying out there, buying it, and taking it to the shippers themselves.

Is the 25% tariff on top of VAT & Duty still in place? One buddy got stung by that recently.
I’ll just buy the rigging from USA. The engine is in the UK already
Old 18 April 2021, 21:30   #8

RIBase
Quote:
It’s only the rigging that I will need to buy from the USA, the engine itself is UK.

Ahh! I misunderstood. I thought the engine was in the US. In that case I’d be tempted to go for it.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 18 April 2021, 22:21   #9

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:

Having done similar myself i reckon buying the engine keeping it in the shed and ordering a new boat to put it on later is a better option buying the engine out your back pocket and selling your boat complete to fund ,the biggest winner the other way will be the person who buys your old engine ! and the rigging money /fitting
just another angle ,dont think theres any right or wrong here ,think the maths possibly relates to the % of the current boat value and the value uplift you will realise ,however that doesnt matter if you not wanting an upgrade

what i am trying to say i think is you will increase your boat value but i dont think you will increase your equity
Old 19 April 2021, 07:53   #10

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
So long as you're happy with the deal, will update and improve what you have then go for it.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 07:55   #11

Fair enough. Sounds like a done deal then.

Quote:
I’ll just buy the rigging from USA. The engine is in the UK already
Old 19 April 2021, 08:41   #12

Quote:
Fair enough. Sounds like a done deal then.
Just paid for it
Old 19 April 2021, 11:04   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Just paid for it

[emoji106]🤞 good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 19 April 2021, 11:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
[emoji106]🤞 good luck, let us know how it goes.
Daren't post on the other thread about buying something unseen off a Facebook post
Old 19 April 2021, 11:26   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Daren't post on the other thread about buying something unseen off a Facebook post

What could possibly go wrong [emoji6]?
Old 19 April 2021, 18:30   #16

@Jake How have you found the current Verado? I remember when they first came out everyone was pretty blown away by them (But there were some questions about whether the supercharger rotors would last in a salt environment) albeit I think people missed the V6 2-strokes.

But it always seemed the big 2-strokes took a lot of effort to keep reliable and, in all honest, the number of people in the country I'd trust to keep one of the reliable, I could count on one hand.

And now they have a 600hp V12 Verado which looks like a fantastic piece of engineering. Does anyone know if any are coming to the UK?
Old 20 April 2021, 13:38   #17

Quote:
@Jake How have you found the current Verado? I remember when they first came out everyone was pretty blown away by them (But there were some questions about whether the supercharger rotors would last in a salt environment) albeit I think people missed the V6 2-strokes.

But it always seemed the big 2-strokes took a lot of effort to keep reliable and, in all honest, the number of people in the country I'd trust to keep one of the reliable, I could count on one hand.

And now they have a 600hp V12 Verado which looks like a fantastic piece of engineering. Does anyone know if any are coming to the UK?
I don't have a lot to compare to but I think its probably fair to say the supercharged Verado's have turned out to be one of the best outboard engines ever made. Mercury barely changed the design in 17 years which tells you a lot...

Super quiet and proved to be incredibly reliable. And the electronic controls and power steering etc make them lovely to use. If you go on the big American forums like Hull Truth even the most ardent Yamaha fanboys admit that the 6cyl Verado was a good'un.

It'll be interesting to compare one of the first 6cyl Verado's to one of the very last of the production line. I think apart from a minor improvement in fuel consumption, there is going to be basically no difference at all.

I'm sure a few of the 600HP engines will end up in the UK but it doesn't seem very practical with our fuel costs and lack of waterside petrol. They are designed as a replacement for the big American centre console with 4 or 5 450HP engines hanging off the back. Don't see very many of them in the UK either...

Old 21 April 2021, 16:51   #18

On a pallet being collected tomorrow
It’s got more wrapping on it now

Old 21 April 2021, 17:44   #19

Town: Borlange
Boat name: Optima Vita
Make: XS
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 2 x 250
MMSI: 265019760
Beautiful piece, will feel like a new boat almost.

Will be interesting to hear about the difference in fuelconsumption.

Something must have happend in 13 years.

Good luck swapping!
Old 21 April 2021, 17:45   #20

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
On a pallet being collected tomorrow
It’s got more wrapping on it now

Looking Good!