Old 14 February 2005, 19:24   #1
RJH

Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
Next Rib

Hi to all. This is my first post to this excellent forum. Have been enjoying it for some time and thought now was a good time to join in! My dilema is that having had a 5.6m Avon a couple of years ago and having had ribs in the family going back to the original Flatacrafts we persuaded ourselves to join the ranks of hardboaters to get all the alleged advantages of a small sportscruiser. After several trips we came to the conclusion that this had been a huge mistake and to cut a long story short are now looking to returning to a rib.

Aiming to move to a 6.5m craft and am looking seriously at all suitable alternatives including Cobra, Ribtec and Solent. The Solent looks significantly better value but seems to be favoured by the speed merchants. Does anybody know any reason why it wouldn't make a good family boat or any other relevant comments?
Old 14 February 2005, 20:04   #2

Town: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH
Hi to all. This is my first post to this excellent forum. Have been enjoying it for some time and thought now was a good time to join in! My dilema is that having had a 5.6m Avon a couple of years ago and having had ribs in the family going back to the original Flatacrafts we persuaded ourselves to join the ranks of hardboaters to get all the alleged advantages of a small sportscruiser. After several trips we came to the conclusion that this had been a huge mistake and to cut a long story short are now looking to returning to a rib.

Aiming to move to a 6.5m craft and am looking seriously at all suitable alternatives including Cobra, Ribtec and Solent. The Solent looks significantly better value but seems to be favoured by the speed merchants. Does anybody know any reason why it wouldn't make a good family boat or any other relevant comments?
RHJ

welcome to the forum and welcome back to the world of ribs

Have you decided on petrol or diesel? Is it channel crossing you have in mind or a quick spin in the Solent
My Parker 630 diesel is still available if you are interested, pls look up ribs for sale for details
Old 14 February 2005, 20:21   #3
RJH

Thanks. Will probably be sticking to cruising the Solent (for the moment anyway!). I'm sure the Parker is a great boat but have decided to stick with outboard but haven't yet decided between 2 and 4 stroke. Trying to weigh off cost and economy at the moment.
Old 14 February 2005, 20:25   #4

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Obsession
Make: ORKNEY PILOTHOUSE 20
Length: 6m +
Engine: SUZUKI 70
MMSI: 235024496
Hi RJH
I made the same mistake and purchased a Chaparral sports boat last year thinking it was a good idea, fortunately I kept my 5.2 mtr rib aswell.Needless to say the hard boat was a bad move.I have now traded both in and purchased the Solent 6.9 MTR.It's the best boat I ever had,it's great in the ruff,fast,and I feel very safe in her.If you require a test in a Solent and don't mind a trip up to Ipswich you are very welcome to come out for a spin.
Regards

Wayne
Old 14 February 2005, 20:26   #5

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Andres Parker is a very tasty boat it appears to be very well built!

The three hulls you have listed are all boats I have driven a a charter skipper and I can tell you they all have very different handling. The Solent is the most fun but can be a little skittish on the back end if its running a 150 hard

Cobra's are OK but I don't really get on with their handling charecteristics I thik it's because the V isn't very deep.

Ribtec hull are Ok but I suspect that you'd have to look very carefully at the construction of a new one if they are made in SA. and for my money they are a bit wobbly at high speed

Consider expanding your search to XS ribs, Humber, Ospreys.

To answer your last question. The Solent rib is evolved from the Tohatsu one design which was built to encompass all requirements in a rib. from racing to family fun and it is a fast hull but can cope with family use just as well. I guess the powerplant and the deck layout is what makes the difference between a leisure cruiser and a fast boat!

I would have alook at Andre's demo boat you may be very nicely surprised

What part of Hampshires finest city are you from, we do be in Bitterne/Woolston
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2005, 20:37   #6

Hi Rogue Wave
I did'nt realise you were from Woolston,My head office is in Hazel Road.
Old 14 February 2005, 20:41   #7
RJH

We're based in Hedge End and generally launch from either Hamble or Itchen.
Old 14 February 2005, 21:18   #8
RJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Rogers
Hi RJH
I made the same mistake and purchased a Chaparral sports boat last year thinking it was a good idea, fortunately I kept my 5.2 mtr rib aswell.Needless to say the hard boat was a bad move.I have now traded both in and purchased the Solent 6.9 MTR.It's the best boat I ever had,it's great in the ruff,fast,and I feel very safe in her.If you require a test in a Solent and don't mind a trip up to Ipswich you are very welcome to come out for a spin.
Regards

Wayne
Thanks, much appreciated. With hindsight I should never have switched but I guess we are all entitled to the odd mistake. Sounds like you've got a great boat there.
Old 14 February 2005, 22:39   #9

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Hi Rogue Wave
I did'nt realise you were from Woolston,My head office is in Hazel Road.
Blimey I can probably see it from my house! when you are down next give us a call and we can go out for a spin. We are trying to rent a yard at the top (or maybe it's the bottom) of Hazel Road at the moment!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2005, 22:54   #10

Town: Fareham
RJH, if you like the sound on the Solent, why not phone Lee Fairweather for a trial. They have a Demo boat in Fareham and will be sea testing a couple of 6.5m RIBs in comming weeks, I think with very large 200hp outboards. Couldn't do any harm!

They are also local builders and that has benefits as well.

Andy

PS, Come and join out Solent get together on the 12th and 13th March, I'm sure there be all sorts of RIB's at this weekend or alternativly wait till June and go th RIBex
Old 15 February 2005, 12:34   #11

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
I've got the 7.2mtr XS Rib and I'm hugely impressed and for the money you can't go far wrong!

It got me quite happily (well maybe not happily) across the channel in a force 5-6 with a large Atlantic SW swell. So I can confirm their build quality, ride and handling!

Have a look at what Barnet has to offer as they have some almost new second hand bargains!
Old 15 February 2005, 20:14   #12
RJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettal
I've got the 7.2mtr XS Rib and I'm hugely impressed and for the money you can't go far wrong!

It got me quite happily (well maybe not happily) across the channel in a force 5-6 with a large Atlantic SW swell. So I can confirm their build quality, ride and handling!

Have a look at what Barnet has to offer as they have some almost new second hand bargains!
Thanx, sounds like they're certainly worth a look.
Old 15 February 2005, 20:18   #13
RJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
RJH, if you like the sound on the Solent, why not phone Lee Fairweather for a trial. They have a Demo boat in Fareham and will be sea testing a couple of 6.5m RIBs in comming weeks, I think with very large 200hp outboards. Couldn't do any harm!

They are also local builders and that has benefits as well.

Andy

PS, Come and join out Solent get together on the 12th and 13th March, I'm sure there be all sorts of RIB's at this weekend or alternativly wait till June and go th RIBex
Thanx, we are already in discussions with Lee about getting a demo - it's just really good to hear what opinions us ordinary folk have on different ribs. We are a bit too impatient to wait until RIBex - we'd really like to be out on the water by then
Old 15 February 2005, 20:24   #14

Hi again RJH

Mine was fitted out by Fairweather Marine,they seem to have made a good job,nothing dropped of yet or come loose.And I am one of the most fussiest people around.
See Photo's

Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	10427   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	10428   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	10429   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	10430  
Old 15 February 2005, 20:36   #15

Town: Fareham
Nice layout Wayne, I love those highly tapered Tubes. Will aspire to get a Solent one day, but untill then will only have to wait a week and a half for my new Outboard fitment from Lee.

See you on the March Solent cruise?

Andy
Old 16 February 2005, 07:39   #16
RJH

Quote:
Hi again RJH

Mine was fitted out by Fairweather Marine,they seem to have made a good job,nothing dropped of yet or come loose.And I am one of the most fussiest people around.
See Photo's

Wayne

Great looking rig - the rear bench seat looks as though you could fit 3 adults or 4 kids on it - is this the case? We are waiting for Lee to come back to us with a price, but initial indications are that it will probably be around £4000 cheaper than the Ribtec - we'd be crazy not to go for it (as long as the sea trial goes ok?!) We do have 2 girls who are not crazy about going out in rough weather, so it will really only be solent jaunts in reasonable or good weather - oh and we are planning to tow the boat down to Lake Garda in August, which should be fun. Thanks for all your help.
Roger and Cleone (and kids).
Old 16 February 2005, 17:08   #17

Hi RJH

You can get four good sized adults ( I mean fat) on the rear seat with eaze.I don't think you will be disapointed with the sea trials.

Wayne
Old 16 February 2005, 18:32   #18

Town: West Sussex
Quote:
Hi RJH

You can get four good sized adults ( I mean fat) on the rear seat with eaze.I don't think you will be disapointed with the sea trials.

Wayne

and don't forget to sign up for the LAmpton cruise
Old 22 February 2005, 09:37   #19

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Hi Roger and Cleone (and Kids),

Of course I am biased but I explored the same sort of range of Ribs as you are doing for my family and took delivery of a Solent 6.5M (Farfetched) with a 150hp Opti in September. Am very very pleased with her - in fact am still grinning. I was out last weekend and went from Mudeford across to the Needles on the Saturday morning - grey skies and 4/5. Fairly evil seas as we approached the south end of the bank. Never thougt I would go out in such seas - a year ago we had never owned a boat and bought a 3.2M SIB at the London show 2004. I was at the helm and I kept checking my 15 year old was not terrified in the navigators seat! The boat coped with it brilliantly. I mucked up one wave and it we had copious spray over the console to great amusement of us both, but nothing of siginificance in the boat. I would never call myself experienced, but the boat is just amazing.

On the flat (Southampton Water) have got her to 48 knots on GPS with two on board, but we regularly see 43, 44 on the GPS in the Solent.

PM me or email if you want my mobile number for a chat. I have some suggestions you might want to discuss with Lee if you are gonig this route.

Cheers

Bruce

PS Andre's boat was a close second. Consider a Parker even with a petrol solution.
Old 22 February 2005, 14:12   #20

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Ditto what bruce said, its a superb hull. Very pleased with ours.
We also get over 40 knots with a diesel, and will cruise at 25 knots using less than 10 lph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tombuoy.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	10462