Old 17 July 2009, 15:36   #1

Town: Chester le Street
Length: no boat
Newby to RIB`s needing advice please

Hi folks! Im new to this site but not to boating in general. My history of boating has been in the realms of owning a small garage sized fishing boat at different points in time. Mostly Seahogs, Bonwitco`s and Ryds etc. Now Im back in the market for another boat with a budget of around £4K.
Ive been quite interested in fishing and using a rib as they can usually get to marks a fair bit quicker than other boats. Having had the chance to take a couple of divers and their boat (5mtr Humber) out last weekend, I took my rod also. This worked out a treat so now I will be on the lookout for a boat after the next few weeks.
Due to the size of these things, the 5 mtr Humber is too big for my garage. Ive now decided that an Avon SR4 would be the ideal size.
Ive been through most of the posts on this forum and they seem to be the best buy for a boat of this size. What sort of package do you think I should expect to get for the £4K I have to offer?
Old 17 July 2009, 16:13   #2

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Have a look at the below in boats for sale, should give you an idea, perhaps call him

Avon 4m - 40Hp Johnson - £2,650
Good condition, with fully serviced 40HP outboard, electric tilt and trim, new hydraulic steering, key start, new black antifouling , strengthened transom and double seat centre console, complete with rev dial, compass with light, and detachable navigation light mast. anti-slip deck, elephant trunk bailer, garmin gps mount, 20 Lt fuel tank. Internal oil tank and battery. Comes on its own trailer with new rollers and wheels with bearings. Tubes are original and have the odd patch and do lose a little air over time. This is a very good solid boat and well worth a look. Contact Knowlesr@mac.com or call 07793-669668 Boast is in London at present.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: DSC01503.jpg Views: 90 Size: 223.6 KB ID: 42365 Click image for larger version Name: DSC01507.jpg Views: 44 Size: 90.8 KB ID: 42366 Click image for larger version Name: DSC01510.jpg Views: 109 Size: 97.9 KB ID: 42367 Click image for larger version Name: DSC01519.jpg Views: 128 Size: 285.3 KB ID: 42368 Click image for larger version Name: DSC01520.jpg Views: 174 Size: 84.0 KB ID: 42369
Old 17 July 2009, 17:56   #3

Yes seen that one. Ideally Im looking for something in a bit better nick. Patched tubes that go down? Sorry but computer says NO! It would have to have a 50hp motor as well.
Old 20 July 2009, 08:50   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Gordon,

Welcom to Ribnet!

I had much the same issue as you a while back, and eneded up trawling the net looking for suitable boats. Net result is I have a spreadhseet ( a couple of years old now) that has all the LOA & Beam data up to about 6m LOA. If you can measure your garage I can tell you what will fit!

I had an SR4, and now have the Humber O-pro 2m Beam's grandad. Granted I had to get a short drawbar trailer & be a bit creative with the bow snubber setup to make it all fit, but you may be surprised at the selection you may have, assuming you have a "eurogarage".........
Old 20 July 2009, 16:26   #5

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon T View Post
Yes seen that one. Ideally Im looking for something in a bit better nick. Patched tubes that go down? Sorry but computer says NO! It would have to have a 50hp motor as well.
Gordon,

You wont be disappointed, SR4 & 50hp......go for it,
Old 20 July 2009, 20:44   #6

Thanks for the replies.
My garage is a tad larger than a Euro-garage, but not much, that's why I can only accommodate the likes of the SR4. I also need room for a jogging machine (thankfully folding), a cross trainer, a Kawasaki KLV100 motorbike, pushbikes and occasionally (but not too often) a microlight. Along with tool cupboards and a workbench it doesn't leave me with much room. Even an SR4 will take some getting in. I have thought about getting rid or re-allocating some gear to the shed, but it will still be tight either way.
Im not in too great a hurry to buy but I will if its the right boat. Ive been to look at a few and can only describe them as being disappointing. Anti fouled up to the eyeballs, worn out/ abused and patched to buggery and these are some of the `good ones`! Why do people insist that they need to be anti fouled? I would rather see the condition of the hull whether it be good or bad before I buy. Top money is being asked by some for what I can only describe as scrapyard escapees.
9D280, is it possible that if I send you my email address you can send me your list. I think I may find it very interesting......................Gordon.
Old 20 July 2009, 21:22   #7

9D280 you have a PM...............G
Old 21 July 2009, 12:09   #8

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
I also need room for a jogging machine (thankfully folding), a cross trainer, a Kawasaki KLV100 motorbike, pushbikes and occasionally (but not too often) a microlight. Along with tool cupboards and a workbench it doesn't leave me with much room.
.......And I thought I had a lot of stuff in mine!

Quote:
9D280 you have a PM...............G
and you should now have a reply........ Hope it's of some use.
Old 21 July 2009, 17:26   #9

Yep. Got it. Thank you. Its better than i expected. I'm still stuck with a 2mtr beam so it looks like it`ll have to be the SR4 or back to the hard boats. Theres a Valiant V400 on ebay at the mo` that looks interesting. Only its got PVC tubes, which I'm not happy about.
Old 21 July 2009, 17:42   #10

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Gordon if you are willing to wait there are always bargins in the Autumn and early winter also the weeks before Xmas on e bay. There are a couple of members on here looking for ribs and engines quietly biding our time, but you do need to hang on.

Pete
Old 21 July 2009, 18:07   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Only its got PVC tubes, which I'm not happy about.
I think Valiant actually use Polyurethane (PU) rather than PVC (but I may be wrong with this model/age). PU is generally regarded as better than PVC; the PU suppliers will tell you it is better than hypalon too (e.g. better abrasion resistance). Most people here still prefer hypalon - although bear in mind that most of them have never owned a PU boat to compare it to. I've spoken to quite a few Valiant owners, and have never heard any complaints about the material. Knowledgeable people are buying XS and Valiants so can't be all bad. As I understand it PU is harder to glue so is difficult to work with for small volume / bespoke tubes, and harder to repair. It may also last less time than hypalon - although to get a truly scientific comparison you would probably have to make identical tubes on sister craft stored/used in the same way/place.