Engine: Honda BF50
[QUOTE=John Kennett;636602]

Says the guy in socks and sandals.
Old 01 August 2014, 20:20   #22
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Flipping around sites again JK? That comment should've landed here. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sa...2F%3B300%3B427
Lemme guess - a Rachael Weisz fan as well then?
Old 01 August 2014, 20:21   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:

Says the guy in socks and sandals.
Oops Mollers! An edit too far?
Old 01 August 2014, 20:26   #24

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Lemme guess - a Rachael Weisz fan as well then?
Ok 'til Craig David got his grubbies all over her.
Old 01 August 2014, 20:26   #25

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Newbie with a Brig

Welcome, I'm from Chester and are moored near Beaumaris. Great boating ground. You'll find great knowledge, experience, humour and negativity on here. My first tip would be search your questions before posting as there is likely a thread already here. It prevents you annoying any regulars with the age old questions..., though it can be fun! ;-)

Re Brig, from what I know it's a mass produced boat that has a big marketing budget behind it to be sold to the leisure boater who flies about in the sun in places like Abersoch. Whether that is a good or bad sign I have no idea as I have not been on one.

However the general population in here are quite serious boaters who buy a lot of kit and use it to its capability. Trips round Ireland, Britain, Channel Islands and of course Anglesey to name but a few are covered on here.

To do trips of 50m plus in inclement weather wearing a dry suit and Gecko Helmet, taking safety gear for offshore, pushing on to experience what the boat and crew can handle, with the hull and fittings being smashed about on every other wave and occasionally stuffing to the point of a the Rib being flooded from tube to tube is a different ball game to those who go out in shorts and T shirt sun bathing bay hopping with the family. Obviously there are horses designed for courses. Brig don't market themselves to and don't seem to be bought by the former. Does that mean they are a poor buy for the latter? I can't answer that. You will however soon find out for yourself!! Enjoy!!

A soft reader suits some but not all. A Defender is the same. Problem is, some people can afford luxury and the ability (RangeRover). Just the same with boats/RIBs.

Oh!!! Search Moelfre lifeboat day and tag along, you'll meet half the NW ribnobbers heading up the strait and round the corner!!!
Old 01 August 2014, 20:31   #26

Town: Beaumaris
Make: BRIG
Engine: Ermintrude 115
If you read my original quote I wasn't asking for opinion on Brig I was asking for help on insurance etc.

The unsolicited views of others were proffered regarding Brig which aren't particularly helpful and forced me to check their creditworthiness out.

Of course I have done my research after taking the RYA PB 2 course and got down to a rib eye and a Brig. I didn't like the way the tubes on the ribeye sit out of the water when stationary which gave a rockier ride at anchor so went with the brig.

The Russian roulette comment was in relation to the comment about them going bust.....which they don't appear to be.

I asked for assistance with insurance and any other advice stating I have bought a Brig.... Why would I ask what you think when I have acquired it already?.

Happy boating ....
Old 01 August 2014, 20:44   #27

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Swell View Post

Of course I have done my research after taking the RYA PB 2 course and got down to a rib eye and a Brig. ....
A PB2 is not research. "Ribeye and Brig" = walking into Wolfrock, hardly research!
Old 01 August 2014, 21:08   #28

Oh well if It doesn't work out I'll buy another one that does ..... It's only money.

You are right when I first started playing golf I had a set from Argos, now I don't and I'm still crap.
Old 01 August 2014, 21:16   #29

Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Quote:
I'm failing to understand the above comment. To me, it says that you are seeking advice, but that you will only hear it if it's inline with your own opinions or purchase choice.

Most Ribnet members can either not afford, or choose not to play "expensive Russian roulette' with their cash. We draw upon experience, advice and diligent research before making our purchases.

You've chosen to skip most of the above. I'm sure that Wolfrock are smashing guys, they wouldn't last 5 mins if they're weren't. Also, they're not selling 'sell themselves' brands, so they have to work extra hard and go the extra mile.

Hopefully the Brig will serve your needs fine, but clearly you have put little or no effort/research into your purchase and wish to block your ears to any suggestion that you may've not spent your money wisely.

Enjoy you ribbing.

Can I have feedback please but only if it's good feedback
What's the point

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Old 01 August 2014, 21:17   #30
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Oh well if It doesn't work out I'll buy another one that does ..... It's only money.

You are right when I first started playing golf I had a set from Argos, now I don't and I'm still crap.
Sorry, posted in the wrong thread... D'oh. Alzheimers catching up.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2014, 21:17   #31

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:

When I retired from playing rugby, I thought that I would give golf a go as did some of my mates.....

Well its a feckin hard game to learn and it ain't cheap so I jacked that in and bought a rib, the first two were a disaster (long story) Chinese and Egyptian Sh*te... but eventually I got one I liked... it still ain't cheap but more fun... and the only swing I need to improve on is casting my fishing line see you on the Straits
Old 01 August 2014, 21:30   #32

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
I hope my info regards wolfrock was a little useful if nothing else
Old 01 August 2014, 21:32   #33

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Engine: Yamaha F150
Yep, I am guilty I have also missed the original posters question;

Porthcawl insurance gets me recommendation!

P.S. they should convert all golf courses into motocross tracks
Old 01 August 2014, 21:35   #34

Thanks for all your comments mostly useful.

Now going to ring around insurers which was my original question .....not "what do you think of my boat."

I drive a Skoda ...who cares?

Any insurance only responses would be good.....does fast ribbing addle the grey matter cos in some parts it appears so....?
Old 01 August 2014, 21:37   #35
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whackywoody View Post
Convert? But they're perfect as they are!

What with the sandpits and the ponds and the beer stall at the end, they'd be ideal for 4x4 trials too...

"Golf? Balls!" You're saying it wrong...
Old 01 August 2014, 21:37   #36

Whacky woody I agree on the golf course comment. Thanks for the insurance tip I will get in touch...

Thanks

Max
Old 01 August 2014, 21:37   #37

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by whackywoody View Post
Yep, I am guilty I have also missed the original posters question;

Porthcawl insurance gets me recommendation!

Is that all the OP was asking for W

Craftinsure pay monthly and you can cancel anytime you like
Old 01 August 2014, 21:39   #38

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I use CraftInsure (online), as do several others on here - is very easy and flexible. Prices seem reasonable, but I've never had to claim. Pretty sure there was someone on here who did claim with them, and it was dealt with properly.
Old 01 August 2014, 21:42   #39

Length: 3m +
Quote:
If you read my original quote I wasn't asking for opinion on Brig I was asking for help on insurance etc.

The unsolicited views of others were proffered regarding Brig which aren't particularly helpful and forced me to check their creditworthiness out.

Of course I have done my research after taking the RYA PB 2 course and got down to a rib eye and a Brig. I didn't like the way the tubes on the ribeye sit out of the water when stationary which gave a rockier ride at anchor so went with the brig.

The Russian roulette comment was in relation to the comment about them going bust.....which they don't appear to be.

I asked for assistance with insurance and any other advice stating I have bought a Brig.... Why would I ask what you think when I have acquired it already?.

Happy boating ....
Little tip...

Instead of putting the title on of "Newbie with a Brig" you could have put "Insurance for my new RIB" and people might have got stuck in with insurance tips...

The one tip you got was Tower. No reason to say they aren't good. BUT I think there was a suggestion here a couple of weeks ago that they and N&G were mandating Kill Cord Use. While thats no bad thing as a concept you need to check what happens if you did forget the KC for a split second and something went wrong... are you insured for third party liability at least? What about damage to your boat?

Did you speak to Slava Rodionov in Ukraine or someone from Brig in the UK? Not sure I'd be keen on buying a RIB from a country that is currently in the middle of a war - although I don't actually know why as once the boat is with you there probably isn't any difference... And I assume you aren't handing over the serious money till you can see the boat is here with no bullet holes in it...
Old 01 August 2014, 21:51   #40
NSS

Length: no boat
Quote:
Thanks for all your comments mostly useful.

Now going to ring around insurers which was my original question .....not "what do you think of my boat."

I drive a Skoda ...who cares?

Any insurance only responses would be good.....does fast ribbing addle the grey matter cos in some parts it appears so....?
Actually, your original post said you were "looking for tips and any insurance recommendations".

For what it's worth, I looked at the Brig Eagles before buying my current RIB. Had Brig made a 420-450 Eagle I would probably have bought one, though I'm kind of glad they didn't as I really like my Generation 430. Some of the 'serious' ribbers on here gave me stick at the time, but it suits my 'strictly for leisure' needs and the chances are the Brig will suit yours.

I'd still check the transom regularly though