Town: Portland Oregon
Boat name: Gumbi
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo Diesel I/O
Newbie-New RIB - What is this?

Greetings-

Love this site!
I picked up this RIB at a government auction here in the states.
I have searched looked around and am having trouble identifying it.
I am pretty sure that it is a Halmatic but I haven't seen another quite like it with the tubes that go all the way around the transom.
It is about 22 ft in length - has a Volvo penta 6 cyl turbo diesel with a duo-prop I/O.

Mechanically it is in really good shape but the tubes although sturdy, look like a dying salmon- What does one use to restore the tubes?

Any help on identification or restoration ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks much-
Ace
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gumbi2 big.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	34088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gumbi big.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	34089   Click image for larger version

Name:	volvo engine big.JPG
Views:	632
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	34090  
Old 18 April 2008, 21:22   #2

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
I've never seen one like that either. I have to say you sure saw inner beauty where I wouldn't have! That color scheme is blech!
Old 18 April 2008, 22:24   #3

Color scheme was determined to be Salmonflauge by my "friends"...

It was an Army Corps of Engineers work boat.
Old 18 April 2008, 23:31   #4

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Working on the Columbia dams??
Old 19 April 2008, 00:34   #5

Could be. I'm not sure what they were using it for. I know they do a lot of work and dredging around the mouth of the Columbia which can be really rough sometimes. I was in a 40 footer that got it's wheelhouse front window smashed in by a huge wave while coming back in over the bar. I assumed they were using it there out of Ilwaco or Hammond.
Old 19 April 2008, 08:06   #6

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Ashling
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 225
Looks to me like a Halmatic 23. They were built with wrap around tubes at the stern, and they were also built with either Inflatable tubes or solid foam tubes. Cannot see any valves on the third image, which would suggest that they are solid tubes?. Also the footstraps on the deck are typical Halmatic ones.

If you need new Inflatable tubes, we have the templates.

www.henshaw.co.uk
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2008, 16:37   #7

Thank you much Chris. You are correct, there are no valves anywhere that I can find on this boat but then I am not sure where to look. The hull number starts with HMS so it came up as a Halmatic on the licensing system. I received no documentation at all with the boat so your information and web site is very much appreciated.

So do you think the tubes are solid foam or foam over air tubes like the ones on your web site?

The covering on the tubes seems sturdy and thick but real rough to the touch. It was obviously painted black at one time but the black paint as come off in the areas where the sun can get directly at it. It looks like it spent most of it's life on a trailer. The exposed orange tops of the tubes have a very rough feel with bumps and voids similar to the way we texture walls in homes here.

I'm hoping to continue to use the existing tubes as it will continue to be a work boat so it doesn't have to be beautiful, just reliable. I was thinking of painting on the "liquid rubber" from www.inlandmarine.us to smooth the surface out and then applying their topside paint for UV protection. I wonder if this is the right way to go?

In the event that I need tubes or new fabric, how much do you charge for the templates?

I still haven't been able to find another picture of a boat like this. Anyone with ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

The boat is amazing, it starts right up and we hit 35 knots top speed although there was a pretty fearsome shudder just before the turbo kicked in as we were coming up on plane.

It is a very interesting project. I am going to take it out on the Columbia river today, maybe catch a salmon before they shut the season down.
Old 19 April 2008, 17:29   #8

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer9 View Post
Thank you much Chris. You are correct, there are no valves anywhere that I can find on this boat but then I am not sure where to look. The hull number starts with HMS so it came up as a Halmatic on the licensing system. I received no documentation at all with the boat so your information and web site is very much appreciated.

So do you think the tubes are solid foam or foam over air tubes like the ones on your web site?

The covering on the tubes seems sturdy and thick but real rough to the touch. It was obviously painted black at one time but the black paint as come off in the areas where the sun can get directly at it. It looks like it spent most of it's life on a trailer. The exposed orange tops of the tubes have a very rough feel with bumps and voids similar to the way we texture walls in homes here.

I'm hoping to continue to use the existing tubes as it will continue to be a work boat so it doesn't have to be beautiful, just reliable. I was thinking of painting on the "liquid rubber" from www.inlandmarine.us to smooth the surface out and then applying their topside paint for UV protection. I wonder if this is the right way to go?

In the event that I need tubes or new fabric, how much do you charge for the templates?

I still haven't been able to find another picture of a boat like this. Anyone with ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

The boat is amazing, it starts right up and we hit 35 knots top speed although there was a pretty fearsome shudder just before the turbo kicked in as we were coming up on plane.

It is a very interesting project. I am going to take it out on the Columbia river today, maybe catch a salmon before they shut the season down.
I have used both the Liquid Rubber ( W. Marine) and Tuff Coat. I find the Tuff Coat much easier to apply. It is a base coat and top coat system so they are compatable. Application of both with a roller is easy and it is available in a variety of top coat colors.
Old 19 April 2008, 19:20   #9

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Ashling
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 225
They will be a solid foam type, which are then surface coated with a thick PU coating. The tubes will have probably been built by Balmoral, or possibly Hippo.

We have only supplied fully Inflatable ones to Halmatic, and here is a picture of a P23 tube under construction. These ones were built with a lacing attachment at the stern to make them easier to fit.

I will PM you with a quote for new tubes, just in case you ever decide to replace them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB210060.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	34123   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB190044.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	34124  

www.henshaw.co.uk
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote