Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
So that's two votes from RIBnetters for "Don't buy a RIB"

I didn't say "Don't buy a rib", I said that in this case a rib may not be that best choice. I used to have a 23ft Orkney and although I don't necessarily miss it I have to say it had its good points: cheap to run, cabin and accomodation, large uncluttered deck area, cheap to buy second hand etc..
Old 06 February 2011, 11:07   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
I didn't say "Don't buy a rib", I said that in this case a rib may not be that best choice. I used to have a 23ft Orkney and although I don't necessarily miss it I have to say it had its good points: cheap to run, cabin and accomodation, large uncluttered deck area, cheap to buy second hand etc..
I think you might be wrongly attributing the fuel economy to the hull... rather than the engine and the self control of the person with the stick. If the performance of an Orkney is acceptable (25 ish knots flat out?) then the performance of a rib cruising at the low 20 knots should be fine... ...but I know where my nervous passengers would rather be [EDIT: in what is effectively the middle of the atlantic!] if it started to kick up! If he's talking day trips and not planning to go serious fishing etc then proper seats for all is probably more important than lots of deck space.
Old 06 February 2011, 11:26   #24

Town: Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I think you might be wrongly attributing the fuel economy to the hull... rather than the engine and the self control of the person with the stick. If the performance of an Orkney is acceptable (25 ish knots flat out?) then the performance of a rib cruising at the low 20 knots should be fine... ...but I know where my nervous passengers would rather be [EDIT: in what is effectively the middle of the atlantic!] if it started to kick up! If he's talking day trips and not planning to go serious fishing etc then proper seats for all is probably more important than lots of deck space.
I didn't say the economy of Orkneys had anything to do with the hull shape, it's more a function of not having V6 3.5 litre 2-stroke outboards on the back. My Orkney burned exactly 1 litre a mile and had a Volvo Penta AD31D diesel. The 225hp ETec on my rib uses 1.5 litres a mile.
Old 06 February 2011, 11:26   #25
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
I didn't say "Don't buy a rib"
My processes of logical deduction appear to have failed. I could have sworn that you recommended an Orkney over a RIB for island hopping in the Scillies.

My understanding of this was that if the OP were to follow your recommendation, he would not buy a rib.

I must have missed a sub-clause somewhere....

BTW, if I ever had the choice of an Orkney or, um, almost any RIB, to get caught in a squall in, it would be the RIB.
Old 06 February 2011, 11:43   #26

Town: Jersey
Quote:
My processes of logical deduction appear to have failed. I could have sworn that you recommended an Orkney over a RIB for island hopping in the Scillies.

BTW, if I ever had the choice of an Orkney or, um, almost any RIB, to get caught in a squall in, it would be the RIB.
No, I said I would buy a boat with a cuddy if I were in this chap's position; I didn't suggest he bought one himself. Big Orkneys are good, seaworthy boats. If you're going 50nm in a F5 head on why would you prefer getting soaked every other wave in a rib over being warm and dry in a cabin?
Old 06 February 2011, 11:57   #27
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
I didn't say the economy of Orkneys had anything to do with the hull shape, it's more a function of not having V6 3.5 litre 2-stroke outboards on the back. My Orkney burned exactly 1 litre a mile and had a Volvo Penta AD31D diesel. The 225hp ETec on my rib uses 1.5 litres a mile.
The OP's budget is not going to get him a Rib with a 225 Etec on it... I'd have thought something in the 5.8-6.and.a.bit range with a 90-130ish engine would be perfectly adequate, and with a sensible engine and some self control deliver 1 L / mile.

Quote:
No, I said I would buy a boat with a cuddy if I were in this chap's position; I didn't suggest he bought one himself. Big Orkneys are good, seaworthy boats. If you're going 50nm in a F5 head on why would you prefer getting soaked every other wave in a rib over being warm and dry in a cabin?
But he won't be doing 50 nm in bad conditions - he's island hopping round the scillies where he's unlikely to need to fight into a head sea for more than 5 miles! My experience of cuddy "angling style" boats (although I don't think I've ever is that in bad weather you slow down a lot, and get thrown around a lot and feel quite vulnerable (with the waves controlling your boat rather than you). With a rib it seems to be possible to maintain greater speed ensuring you remain in control and meaning your soaking lasts less time. Of course you are really just arguing for why Willk's first suggestion was right!
Old 06 February 2011, 12:23   #28

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
I'd have thought something in the 5.8-6.and.a.bit range with a 90-130ish engine would be perfectly adequate, and with a sensible engine and some self control deliver 1 L / mile.
That fuel survey we did on here a while back certainly supports the view that most RIBs are capable of cruising at 1:1.

I would also agree that a 5.5m RIB with a 90HP is going to be both frugal and lively, adding 4HP for every 10cm accordingly. (That works nicely as an 8.5 with a 210 would be ok).

Edit: Having said all that, I still think a big SIB with a 30-50 would be perfect. (Crikey that works on 4 horses per 10cmm too!)
Old 06 February 2011, 13:10   #29
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
Edit: Having said all that, I still think a big SIB with a 30-50 would be perfect. (Crikey that works on 4 horses per 10cmm too!)
depends on his / his passengers' view of sitting on tubes/floor...
Old 06 February 2011, 13:29   #30

Quote:
depends on his / his passengers' view of sitting on tubes/floor...
SIBs can have seats you know

Double jockey and a bench at the back, all removable on captive A4 fixings.
Old 06 February 2011, 13:50   #31
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Having said all that, I still think a big SIB with a 30-50 would be perfect. (Crikey that works on 4 horses per 10cmm too!)
So that's three votes from RIBnetters for "Don't buy a RIB"

Old 06 February 2011, 14:01   #32
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
SIBs can have seats you know

Double jockey and a bench at the back, all removable on captive A4 fixings.
Well i'll admit to not realising that 4 seats was a practical option on a sib. But what advantage would that offer over a similar sized rib?
Old 06 February 2011, 14:05   #33

Quote:
So that's three votes from RIBnetters for "Don't buy a RIB"

Dont start on me!

There IS a sib section you know.
Old 06 February 2011, 14:14   #34

Quote:
But what advantage would that offer over a similar sized rib?
Price would be the biggest, cheaper and lighter hull means a cheaper engine to get the speed. Obviously the downside is the shallow and soft V hull, but in moderate weather and in the shallows that can be an advantage.
Old 06 February 2011, 14:31   #35
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
There IS a sib section you know.
I know, I'm quite busy over there on account of me turbo-tender
Anyway, Matt has given the place a certain air of excitement and menace with TT Martini II.
Old 06 February 2011, 15:14   #36

Boat name: Custard Pie
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Whoa...!!
Sorry for starting a contentious thread
When I originally mentioned a cuddy boat, I was on about theis sort of thing http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=88864 rather than a fishing cuddy. As I said in a later post - I do like speed.
Thanks for all the replies so far though, it's good to have joined a forum where people post regularly.
Cheers
Old 06 February 2011, 15:17   #37

Aaaaaah, a Binliner!

Na, you would be much happier with a RIB. Way less fuel too!
Old 06 February 2011, 15:42   #38
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by percyp View Post
Whoa...!!
Sorry for starting a contentious thread
Don't apologise, we like 'em contentious, saves us having to change the subject and start a row about something off topic
Old 06 February 2011, 16:23   #39

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I still stand by my original 'advice' which GJ0KYZ seemed to concur with. I would be just as happy in a bit of chop in an Orkney as I would my rib, albeit going a bit slower. Both are very seaworthy and practically unsinkable, but the Orkney would win on economy and price. If I was only doing short journeys too, such as <15 nm, then I would quite possibly be driving an Orcadian 24.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2011, 16:41   #40

Town: Derbyshire
Boat name: Jennifer
Make: Warrior 165
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60hp EFI
We had a similar budget and requirements (seats 3 and a dog) when looking for a RIB a couple of years ago but £7-8K just seemed to buy pretty old engines and/or reasonably tatty RIBS. We ended up buying a Warrior 165 for not much more than the original budget. It's a great boat and very seaworthy. The cuddy section is great when the weather turns... and for a cuddy boat it's reasonably quick. If this sort of thing interests you, I'd definitely recommend the largest engine you can get for it (upto 80hp I think) Ours has a 60hp Mariner 4 stroke but I wish I'd chased up one with an etec 75 for a bit more power. Having said that it'll take 3 of us from Fowey to Falmouth easily and in quite quick time. All-in-all a great all round boat.