Old 26 March 2021, 20:24   #1

Town: Cork
Boat name: DELIVERED
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: OB Yamaha-F70
Newbe w/Zodiac RIB HELP "Water-in-Tube(s)"

Greetings. I am new to boating and new to RIB's. I just acquired a 18' Zodiac 550SRMN used. The primary issue is the port side tube/cone seam has separated +/-18" (4 o'clock to 8 o'clock) and I have sourced & scheduled a qualified repair facility to make the repair. In the mean time I am make other inspections & repairs to get the boat-trailer & engine ready.

During such I discovered water in the tube area (port side) forward of the damaged tube. I was able to look up the end of the damaged tube and notice what I'll guess is a cone baffle. This is connected at the area of the first IC valve and any water behind this valve in this area has drained out at the seam separation.

So it appears there is water resting in the tube area of the second and third IC valve (moving in a counter clockwise direction from port to starboard) blocked by the aforementioned internal baffle. I'm guessing +/- 5 gallons (19L) of water sloshing.

So far I disassembled the IC valve #2 & #3 and inserted a 1/4" dia. clear hose (6.35mm) 30" long (762mm) into the tube but I can't seem to reach the water. I blow into the tube and nothing. I connected a siphon extractor (hand squeeze) and nothing. I rigged up a tight fitting wet/dry vac and nothing. Picture attached of set up. (I tested the VAC with a cup of water and it does draw water) and the still no draw.

Can anyone explain how to extract this water? I can't turn the boat upside down.

Thanks In Advance!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAA-Shopvac-reduced.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	136698  
Old 28 March 2021, 20:04   #2

Town: Kingussie
Boat name: Puffin
Make: NorthCraft / XS
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60
MMSI: 232019541
The real question is how did the water get into the other sections of the tube ?

Are the baffles intact ? Does the rest of the tube stay inflated ?
Old 29 March 2021, 16:10   #3

UPDATE 2021329-Water extracted from tube area with wet/dry vac and small 30" long 1/4" dia clear suction hose. Removed +/-4 gallons. Had difficulty at first getting suction hose into the water. Finally after 15 minutes suction hose caught. Extraction took +/- 30 minutes. This little process was a bugger but mission accomplished.

I don't know how water got into where I'll call the mid tube section. This area is also part of the rear tube area that is inflatable due to seam failure. Can only guess during use by previous owner. I did discover a cone type baffle inside the tube at the first IC valve. The water was in the next section up from that. Other possible reason IC valve left open??

I didn't see any other experience with this problem so I hope this helps.

Thanks for interest
Old 29 March 2021, 17:41   #4

Town: kansas city
Length: 4m +
So you have three baffles on that boat correct? Connected with the legendary zodiac i/c valves. Do the other two baffles hold air? Especially focusing on the bow one. You are correct that it is a cone shape. If that internal baffle is shot, which can and does happen, then the water simply went from one section to the other. Who knows how long it was leaking before it finally went too.

So for water to get in your bow baffle, either that baffle is shot or the i/c valve was left open, allowing water to flow between the two chambers.
Old 29 March 2021, 20:53   #5

I think so but not 100% sure...Still getting familiar with the boat. There are (4) IC valves. The only chamber that doesn't hold air is the rear port side tube which extends quite a distance from the end of the cone 13'-6" forward. The bow chamber holds air. I can't determine if the internal baffle is damaged. I can look up the tube and I can't see and rips/tears but difficult look up a collapsed tube. Will attempt to look closer in the next week or so. I'm having the seam repaired in two weeks so getting trailer and misc stuff completed/serviced like draining 5 gallon of water out of the tube........This is a new experience with having a boat as well being a "RIB".

Tags
rib, tubes, zodiac