Old 24 August 2007, 11:36   #21

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
A 200hp using about 125hp cruising will use no more fuel than a 175 and maybe less than a 150hp.

Obviously at full throttle you WILL use more. The difference is that with a 200 you will tend to use smaller throttle openings. Look for about 4 - 6 mpg cruising.

The reason I said not to ignore 2 strokes is because I have a 2003 Suzuki DT225 - it is NOT a new school 2 stroke but it is still very high tech. It has efi - twin spark - and fancy ceramic pistons etc. I was told it would be very thirsty etc BUT I get the same sort of consumption as the people with 4 strokes. The difference is I paid £6,000 for it brand new which is quite a saving!!! The engine is far noisier at idle than a 4 stroke but once you go over about 25kts there is no difference - the wind noise takes over.

I think the Suzuki 200hp 4 strokes are great value and quite light for a 4 stroke. Having said that an Optimax 200hp is lighter again as is the Evinrude ETEC. personally I would go for the best deal I could find - haggle and haggle some more.
Old 24 August 2007, 11:43   #22

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by K&S View Post
Hi, I have spoken to her that must be obeyed and in principal she is in agreement that extra for the 200hp could be found - where she finds the money I’d love to know.
It doesn't matter where - spend it quick, before she changes her mind

Quote:
In terms of economy how much more would you expect the 200hp to burn?
A difficult question to answer specifically but rough estimations would be very helpful.
I reckon around 1 litre/nm. That's what Hugh Jardon on this forum gets from his Vipermax 6.5 / Merc 200 Opti. The DF200 may use a touch less, depending on how much welly you give it.
IBWET's DF175 is impressive at 0/75 litre/nm - I know of similar RIBs with DF140 Soozooks burning more than that.
Old 24 August 2007, 12:14   #23

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
my advice would be if it can take a 200 then put one of those on there, in my mind you are wasting your time putting smaller engines on as you often want more power but rarely want less

if you do lots of slow stuff, trolling etc then go 4 stroke but if you want power, great noise, very similar or same or better economy then go, thrills then go two stroke

you cant go wrong with all the 2 strokers but some are more economical that others

just look to see what the best deal is you can get and then go from there as price may be important to you

dont forget the things you want like type of throttle controls, cables, rigging price, stainless prop, 1st service, nearest agent, availability etc etc
Old 24 August 2007, 12:18   #24

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
I've got the 150.

Around the 0.75 ltr per Nm

46knots.3 blade 25"x14 3/4

Playing around with a 4 blade hydromotive prop at the mo,beautifully finished prop with PSV vents etc ...did 42knots ..It's my fault as I asked them to take into account the weight of the 150, so the prop is a stern lifting prop.

I've only tried it once, I trimmed out the same amount as the original prop resulting in the bow ploughing at over 40 knots (the steering was a bit like herding cats).

they have suggested trimming out further which is the plan for tomorrow. Presently, sick as sea going parrot

It's unlikely that prop will ever be any good on that boat - more trim will just be fighting the prop - the best (fastest) trim setting is dead level.

Where did the prop come from and can you exchange it? What prop do you have at the moment? I see the dimensions, but what make and model is it?

I reckon 50mph is not bad for that set-up - if you want to go faster put the engine up a bolthole or two and get a water pressure gauge!

PM or email me if it's easier!

Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2007, 15:34   #25
K&S

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Riberty
Make: xs 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 175
MMSI: 235063328
Hi, anybody got any idea of the best deal on a suzuki 200hp it looks as if its going on the back

Ibwet is there a web site for the prop you are using it sounds interesting.

Well im going to go and play with the calculator this weekend and by Monday i should be placing an order.
Old 24 August 2007, 18:36   #26

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
http://www.hydromotive.com/ThrottleUP.html

P M. me before you do anything about it.
Old 24 August 2007, 19:17   #27
K&S

hi, had a look at the website impresive looking props. Think i need to put in a few sea miles before thinking about them.
Old 24 August 2007, 20:29   #28
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
The reason I said not to ignore 2 strokes is because I have a 2003 Suzuki DT225... ...The engine is far noisier at idle than a 4 stroke but once you go over about 25kts there is no difference - the wind noise takes over.
Hmm - yes - but what about everyone else?!? I'm no NIMBY - and love the sound of 2 strokes - but if people had considered how noisy their engines are to everyone else not on the boat, then maybe the Windermere ban wouldn't have happened, and we wouldn't have a speed limit of 5kts put on our local estuary...

It depends where you're using it.

And before anyone yells at me about being anti 2-stroke - I'm not. I've been reliably informed that when I've been out 'playing' my diesel can be heard from miles away...... ......but no-one seems to be bothered if you go out to sea and are out of earshot of the NIMBYs...
Old 24 August 2007, 20:34   #29

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I really don't think modern 2 strokes are much noiser than the 4s at higher speeds. A local dive club runs a Suzuki DT200 like Nashers and I was suprised I couldn't hear it much when they were only about 200yds out. The Rib with the 4 stroke 120ish put out as much noise.

As I said it is a very different story at idle - I was talking to a bloke with a yam225 and I didn't realise the engine was running!!!
Old 24 August 2007, 20:50   #30
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I really don't think modern 2 strokes are much noiser than the 4s at higher speeds. A local dive club runs a Suzuki DT200 like Nashers and I was suprised I couldn't hear it much when they were only about 200yds out. The Rib with the 4 stroke 120ish put out as much noise.

As I said it is a very different story at idle - I was talking to a bloke with a yam225 and I didn't realise the engine was running!!!
Yes - Roy (of Osprey fame) was driving a Vipermax with a 225 Saltwater 4-stroke on it last weekend, and as he left the harbour you couldn't hear anything. At all. Most impressive......
Old 24 August 2007, 23:14   #31

Quote:
Hi, anybody got any idea of the best deal on a suzuki 200hp it looks as if its going on the back

Well im going to go and play with the calculator this weekend and by Monday i should be placing an order.
If you're sourcing the engine yourself, my advice would be to wait until Southampton Boat Show (14-23 Sept). That's where some good deals can be had on new motors. Even if you don't go to the show, get your prices from the various dealers at the time the show's on, as the 'show prices' seem to be offered to all dealers, not just those at the show.
As Codprawn says, you're in a strong position to haggle at this time of year - if there's a few in stock, they'll be glad to move one of them on. As a guide, 200 Optis were on offer at around £7k this time last year. I think list price is around £11k
Don't think you'll get a DF200 for that though.......
Old 25 August 2007, 08:32   #32
K&S

hi, didnt mean to start the whole 2 stroke 4 stroke debate when this first started.

Got a quote for the engine £9500 fully fitted. Any comments?

I would love to go to the boat show and haggle etc but as i live in Scotland, the boat is in london and the show is in Southampton by the time i go to shows then marry the equipment up then i could be making a loss and the extra hassle involved. Would be much more comfortable buying the full package from one source then if anything goes wrong i only need to shout at one bloke

Spoke to one dealer today that said if i mail order and fit myself i could invalidate warranty.

Next project: Toy hunting - Was thinking of the Navman 8084. We currently use a smaller Navman in our Hardy so we are used to the menu system. Is there a better suited system which works with the Suzuki in a similar way to Navman and Mariner/ Mercury?
Old 25 August 2007, 09:46   #33

Quote:

Got a quote for the engine £9500 fully fitted. Any comments?

Carry on shopping: get some more quotes.
Old 25 August 2007, 17:56   #34

Town: NW London/France
Boat name: Rêve d'O
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Engine Interface

Remember that if you get a Lowrance or (don't think Garmin) you can wire up an engine interface to it. I am reliably informed that my boat is the only one in France with this setup.

You can get fual readouts,fuel consumption, revs, trim,temp + more

Old 28 August 2007, 13:22   #35

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realruler View Post
Remember that if you get a Lowrance or (don't think Garmin) you can wire up an engine interface to it. I am reliably informed that my boat is the only one in France with this setup.

You can get fual readouts,fuel consumption, revs, trim,temp + more

Navman GPS's are also fully compatible with Smartcraft instruments..........
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote