Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 31 May 2023, 11:12   #1

Town: Newtownards
Length: 5m +
New to Ribs: buying advice needed - please

Hello,

I am looking to buy a second hand RIB and was hoping for some pointers.

- I am in Northern Ireland
- I will mostly use the RIB for watersports (80%), mostly towing my daughters (12,10,7) and their friends.
- But also for short cruising (20%) - i'd like to be able to seat 7-10 people - mix of adults and kids.

It will mostly (80%) be used in a place called Strangofrd Lough. Tidal inland lough that is mostly very sheltered and calm. no swell, sometimes a bit of chop.

The rest of the time (20%) id want to use it in Donegal (NW Irish Atlantic coast) where we would be faced with bigger swells/chop.

My budget is £15-25k

I'm thinking a 6-6.5m with a 100-150HP engine.

Please could people make some recommendations to me on what i should be focused on. Good makes of rib/engine. Bad makes of ribs/engine. Ages of boat/engine.Any other things i should look out for. Good websites to find second hand etc.

This will be my first boat that i have owned (i did a lot of boating as a teenager when we shared a hard hulled speed boat amongst 3 families) and i'd like something that works well and that i don't loose my shirt on. Probably looking to keep iot for 2-4 years and then sell on and upgrade once i know a bit more about what is important to me.

Thaks in advance for anyone's time.
Tom
Old 31 May 2023, 12:58   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippaross View Post
Hello,

I am looking to buy a second hand RIB and was hoping for some pointers.

- I am in Northern Ireland

- I will mostly use the RIB for watersports (80%), mostly towing my daughters (12,10,7) and their friends.

- But also for short cruising (20%) - i'd like to be able to seat 7-10 people - mix of adults and kids.

It will mostly (80%) be used in a place called Strangofrd Lough. Tidal inland lough that is mostly very sheltered and calm. no swell, sometimes a bit of chop.

The rest of the time (20%) id want to use it in Donegal (NW Irish Atlantic coast) where we would be faced with bigger swells/chop.

My budget is £15-25k

I'm thinking a 6-6.5m with a 100-150HP engine.

Please could people make some recommendations to me on what i should be focused on. Good makes of rib/engine. Bad makes of ribs/engine. Ages of boat/engine.Any other things i should look out for. Good websites to find second hand etc.

This will be my first boat that i have owned (i did a lot of boating as a teenager when we shared a hard hulled speed boat amongst 3 families) and i'd like something that works well and that i don't loose my shirt on. Probably looking to keep iot for 2-4 years and then sell on and upgrade once i know a bit more about what is important to me.

Thaks in advance for anyone's time.

Tom

Tbh, you either need to increase the size of your intended boat or reduce the number of prospective passengers. You might be able to seat 10pax on a boat tied to a pontoon in a marina, but you’re not going to “comfortably” shoehorn 10pax onto a 6.5m RIB underway. And that’s before we’re talking about being underpowered.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 13:44   #3

Town: Newtownards
thanks for that.
Tbh the carrying of more than 7 passengers isn't too big of a deal. i wasn't intending to seat 10 comfortably, just i would lean to a boat that had more seating options all other things being equal.
Old 31 May 2023, 15:27   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippaross View Post
thanks for that.
Tbh the carrying of more than 7 passengers isn't too big of a deal. i wasn't intending to seat 10 comfortably, just i would lean to a boat that had more seating options all other things being equal.

You’ll get 7 on a 6.5m subject to layout. Even then it’ll be cosy & you won’t have much room for toys/picnic/changing etc. You’ll need space to carry/inflate any towables. I’d want at least 150hp on a 6.5m RIB if you intend to max it out & tow toys. Moving up to a 6.8 or 7m, although doesn’t sound much, will make a huge difference to the useability. But then you hit the budget wall. Are you planning on keeping the boat afloat or trailered?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib