Old 23 May 2020, 14:22   #1

Town: Redhill
Length: no boat
New to RIBs

Hi

I’m sure that somebody has probably asked this before and apologies if that is the case but I would appreciate any advice or help anyone can offer.

I am seriously considering buying a Rib and it will be my first boat. I have spent a fair amount of time on the water as I used to spend every summer in Dartmouth but until now owning one has not been something I’ve been able to consider.

I would be looking for a rib that could have up to 10 people on it, capable of cruising (coastal), water sports etc. Generally a bit of an all rounder. I am looking at Zodiac Open 550 and Ribeye a550.

I would be looking to keep it in dry dock for most of the year in Dartmouth.

Please assume I know absolutely nothing about owning a boat (fairly accurate) : what advice can you give me about finding and purchasing one? Should it be new, 2nd hand etc. Where should I get it from, who should I talk to, who’s opinion on it can I trust, what do I need to know about maintenance and running costs, insurance costs...

Probably a lot to ask for but please feel free to throw all knowledge and experience at me - I’m very much in the research phase of things.

Thanks!
Old 23 May 2020, 15:29   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Hi, sorry to say this but - You’re Gonna Need A Bigger Boat!

For 10 people, I would guess at least 7m.
Old 23 May 2020, 16:49   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
New to RIBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
Hi

I’m sure that somebody has probably asked this before and apologies if that is the case but I would appreciate any advice or help anyone can offer.

I am seriously considering buying a Rib and it will be my first boat. I have spent a fair amount of time on the water as I used to spend every summer in Dartmouth but until now owning one has not been something I’ve been able to consider.

I would be looking for a rib that could have up to 10 people on it, capable of cruising (coastal), water sports etc. Generally a bit of an all rounder. I am looking at Zodiac Open 550 and Ribeye a550.

I would be looking to keep it in dry dock for most of the year in Dartmouth.

Please assume I know absolutely nothing about owning a boat (fairly accurate) : what advice can you give me about finding and purchasing one? Should it be new, 2nd hand etc. Where should I get it from, who should I talk to, who’s opinion on it can I trust, what do I need to know about maintenance and running costs, insurance costs...

Probably a lot to ask for but please feel free to throw all knowledge and experience at me - I’m very much in the research phase of things.

Thanks!

A 5.5m class boat will take 4 people comfortably, 6 max. As Ferryman says, if you’re looking to seat 10pax you’re looking at 7m+
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 22:19   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
7m RIB - £20-£60k used with trailer. You'll need a decent tow car - and B+E drivers licence if you passed your test after 1997.

Insurance - negligible, a few hundred a year.

Maintenance - depends on engine and spec. Maybe £1000 a year if nothing goes wrong. (Includes engine and trailer service and a few small repairs). Realistically more, plus the cost of all the upgrades you'll decide you need.

Fuel - at full chat and at current prices a 7ish m petrol burning RIB will quite happily burn £100+ an hour. Less of course if driven conservatively.

Berthing: no idea about Dartmouth but in the Solent that would be another £3-5k depending on where on a dry stack or marina.
Old 28 May 2020, 13:49   #5

Town: Melbourne
Length: 5m +
We have a Zodiac pro open 550 with a 90hp and it's not suitable for more than 5-6 people Aside from the fact that it has 4 seats and someone will have to sit on the anchor box, it's not roomy enough and you'd need more than our 90. That's an e-tec too, so you'd be wanting a 100-110hp 4-stroke if you wanted noticeably better performance than mine. I've had 8-9 adults in it and it won't get on the plane.

Tags
rib