Old 17 July 2007, 20:47   #1

Town: London
Length: no boat
New to RIBS

Last week while on holiday we rented an 18 foot 40HP RIB for an hour. I have an interest in powerboats and wanted to test something out while on holiday and this boat was increidbyl good fun, so much so I am now considering purchasing a RIB. I had been planning on getting a 21 foot powerboat, nice and compact but powerful but this rib was superb.

One thing that did interest me, it was off the marina at Sorrento in Southern Italy, water was quite choppy compared to many previous visits, immediately that we elft the harbour it felt quite rocky, some waves looked around 4 foot but the boat performed well, at max speeed it felt a bit dangeorus and one crash off a wave caused my to break a toenail but other than that it was very good and seemed very assured in these waters. We did wander though if those experienced with RIBS would think it was a bit much for the boat in those conditions.

If we were to purchase a beginner RIB after doing owerboat qualification level 2 what kind of boats woudl you recommend, I would like something perhaps 21 feet with around 200HP, basically enough power to be comfortable at 40 knots as this one we had maxed out at 25 knots, was great fun but would want more speed.

Also how easy is it to get a mooring at Southampton or Poole and how much does it cost per year? Do you just leave the boat at the marina and then use it when you want?
Old 17 July 2007, 21:51   #2

Town: Mudeford
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90ho Tohatsu
Depends on how much you have to spend, you would like a new boat or used. Everybody has thier own idea of what is best. I prefer the open design with lots of deck space, other people prefer lots of seats and bling etc. I guess one thing that everybody would agree on is as you are using it in the UK a deep v hull is best.

The bigger the boat the more capable it generally is, and also the more it costs to run in terms of fuel, moorings etc

I would start by sorting out a budget. You can have as much fun on a 5k rib as you can on a 50k rib, so set a rough budget, have a look on something like boatsandoutboards.com to see what you can get for your money and go from there.

Collectively on this forum there will be people who have had experience on just about every size and make of rib so we are here to help....
Old 18 July 2007, 10:58   #3

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
Ah Sorrento i spent 2 weeks there last year in the lovely med weather, beautiful coast, lovely weather and warm sea's . Didn't see too many ribs out there but there were a few mainly of the zodiac med type boat or lookalike? mainly the medium vee variety. As psychotic says you want a deep vee in our waters for a safe comfortable ride, look for makes such as ribcraft, osprey, humber, etc, there are lots of other top boats to choose from but i would buy a British built rib which is built to withstand are rugged coastline and frequent bad weather. The rib that you used in Italy was probably a medium vee, a deep vee rib would cut through 4ft waves without hardly any slam at all even at considerable speed and without breaking any toe nails

6.5 osprey vipermax with 200 rude e-tec or 6.5 ribcraft with 200 merc opti to start with please if i had say 30k to spend.
Old 18 July 2007, 13:07   #4

Town: Yarmouth, IoW
Boat name: 7up
Make: Ribeye Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 150 Opti
MMSI: 235057812
To save your toenails I'd suggest the Thunderbolt. See attached.
Otherwise, budget first (new/used?), type/place of use second, styling etc after.

There are many many makes and even more options. Don't think you are an expert and listen to lots of comments. I bought my first rib (for 20 years) in April, and listened to some advice but not other. The truth is, for your first boat expect to have it for 1-2 seasons then swap when you know what works for you, so the most important element is ease of resale at a reasonable price.

Things I got right
- different seating, not everone want to sit on a pod for an afternoon, but the are great for the driver +1
- A frame, strong enough to tow a skier / wakeboarder from is a big plus
- if second hand, few instruments - make your own mind up on these, some require a magnifying glass to read, others are so full of features you send half the time fiddling and not enjoying the ride
- hull deep V
- many similar boats around

Things I got wrong
- should have a central throttle not on the outside (if you had side by side front seats so you can do the throttle if you have inexperieinced driver)
- make sure the A frame is wired for what you want, or is easily accessed for cables for VHF!
- need a small console cover if you leave the boat on the water
- no water ski locker to keep them safe!!
Old 18 July 2007, 13:11   #5

Town: Yarmouth, IoW
Boat name: 7up
Make: Ribeye Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 150 Opti
MMSI: 235057812
aTTACHED!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thunder.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	28577  
Old 23 July 2007, 02:14   #6

Many thanks for the replies and apologies for my delayed reply. Those toe protectors would definetly come in handy, luvkily it ripped the top off and just bled and bruised a bit am lucky though the toe didn't have any damage but bruising!

I think for first boat would probably want to spend 20k on the boat. I was watching a Top Gear episode and the two guys were racing Jezza to Norway and they used a RIB and the front inflated bit burst, is this very rare, never seen it before but it panicked my gf just a bit. The powerboat they used broke down as well though so that wasn't much use.

Are there main differences with RIB and non rib in terms of positives and negatives, I like the looks of a normal powerboat but have heard time and again that RIBs are the ultimate for safety and safety first in my family. Is the 200 MERC Opti as in 200hp? The one in Sorrento was 40hp and great fun but more speed would be good.
Old 23 July 2007, 11:05   #7

Yes the 200 opti is 200hp, and to answer your question about differences between conventional power boats and ribs then yes a rib is the ultimate sea going small craft or not so small in some peoples case. A rib will handle a rough sea in a way that no other craft of its size could match, when things go wrong at sea (and they do) usually some Muppet in an old fletcher or something! with all the family, then you can take water and sink very fast. With a rib taking on water is not such a big problem (although still not ideal) but at least your not going to sink, also a rib will allow you to travel through a rough sea in rapid fashion even if you are taking some water in the process something a conventional power boat will also not usually be capable of. so yes a rib is the ultimate safe family boat

Here is a funny story (true as well)

Out of Exmouth a few seasons ago i spotted a small speed boat in the distance with one of the occupants waving like mad while i was on my way back to shore but still a good mile out to sea. I approached the small boat which was a 14ft fletcher to a relieved looking woman, the chap who was sat at the helm was still trying to start the boat and said to me i don't know why she's waving mate i told her not too, so i went alongside and asked what the problem was? Turns out they were out of fuel and had a flat battery as well due to trying to start the engine without any fuel, no flares, no anchor and line, no radio in fact no nothing not even life jackets on the kids the guy didn't even realize that they were out of fuel, what gets me is why he told his wife not to wave for help, some people just aren't the full ticket. Anyway i towed them home and felt really good in myself and realized that ribs are just the biz
Old 23 July 2007, 12:19   #8

Try doing this with a speed boat of similar size or bigger!
Old 23 July 2007, 13:45   #9

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
As regards the tube bursting remember the boat has multiple chambers - usually 5 - 9 on a bigger RIB. The boat will still float with ALL the tubes gone!!!

I suspect they had the bow section over inflated. Think how much easier it is to pop a balloon that is as tight as a drum compared to a floppy one.....

If you are pushing it in rough seas you can use a stuffing strap - basically a ratchet strap over the bow to the towing eye to stop the tubes ripping off but I doubt anyone on here has ever bothered. A lot of it comes down to driver error as well.
Old 23 July 2007, 15:44   #10
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post

I suspect they had the bow section over inflated. Think how much easier it is to pop a balloon that is as tight as a drum compared to a floppy one.....

If you are pushing it in rough seas you can use a stuffing strap - basically a ratchet strap over the bow to the towing eye to stop the tubes ripping off but I doubt anyone on here has ever bothered. A lot of it comes down to driver error as well.
Mine's got stuffing straps

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2007, 18:34   #11
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
The boat will still float with ALL the tubes gone!!!
Some will, some won't. Wouldn't like to bank on it!
Quote:
If you are pushing it in rough seas you can use a stuffing strap - basically a ratchet strap over the bow to the towing eye to stop the tubes ripping off but I doubt anyone on here has ever bothered.
I don't think it's a matter of not bothering. They're simply not necessary on most RIBs.

John
Old 23 July 2007, 18:42   #12

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
If you are pushing it in rough seas you can use a stuffing strap - basically a ratchet strap over the bow to the towing eye to stop the tubes ripping off but I doubt anyone on here has ever bothered.
Codders where can you buy one of them. Never seen one that you can buy seperate but would be a good idea.

NR.
Old 23 July 2007, 18:42   #13

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Mine's got stuffing straps
Horses for Courses
Old 23 July 2007, 18:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Codders where can you buy one of them. Never seen one that you can buy seperate but would be a good idea.

NR.
Never seen one for sale. What you really need is something Y shaped so it goes over both sides of the bow. A normal ratchet strap and a bridle rigged properly will do it.

If you have a large bow locker or raised sundeck then it's not needed so much as there is plenty of support for the tubes.
Old 23 July 2007, 18:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Some will, some won't. Wouldn't like to bank on it!I don't think it's a matter of not bothering. They're simply not necessary on most RIBs.

John
Good point. I was thinking of my RIB which floats with the tubes clear of the water anyway.
Old 23 July 2007, 21:50   #16

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
A lot of it comes down to driver error as well.
Yep... learn to drive properly and remember that if you treat your RIB well than it might just treat you well too. Alternatively drive like a moron as the bloke in the Zodiac CZ27 video does, and the driver in the Boomeranger video. Their boats won't last long.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2007, 15:00   #17

Youtube clips of ribs are spectacular, they look very safe. What was wandering is, I looked at a couple of boats the other day made by Chapperral(spellng maybe incorrect) they were medium quick and lovely looking machines but looked quite small for the sea. Are these designed for lakes and rivers or are they suitable for near the coast sea use, really like them but safety for sea use is still primary importance.

http://www.globaltradepartners.co.uk...&listingID=114

http://www.globaltradepartners.co.uk...&listingID=122

Both boats very nice but not sure if they suitable for coastal sea use safely?
Old 27 July 2007, 07:53   #18

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
There is a huge variety of these sports boats around, all much cheaper than RIBS, but they have a different function.

In my observations they get used a lot in nice sunny weather, where the seas are reasonably sheltered. You don't see them out much in rough weather or open waters, not because they're not safe, but they are not much fun with an uncomfortable and hard ride.

Having said that, there are blue water boats configured like this (usually without the leather console look!), and RIBS that are no fun in the rough either.

All boats are a compromise - I'd first sort out what your primary uses and requirements are, who you are going to be using it with, where you will be using it, what kind of "look" you are after, do you want new or are happy second hand are and then prioritise around your budget. You'll get great advice on RIBs on this forum.
Old 27 July 2007, 08:25   #19

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

NR.
Anne Summers does a nice range....