Old 26 May 2014, 13:34   #1

Town: Derbyshire
Boat name: Sharkbait oo ah ah
Make: SeaPro
Length: 3m +
New to Boats Advice please

Hi
Im so green to sailing/boating/watercraft i resemble a pea lol. i holiday alot in cornwall and decided this year i would love to explore some of these secluded coves i see from a distance so i have bought a SeaPro 3.6m rib and 8hp engine.

We stay at pentewan and can launch from the beach so thats ok but we would like to visit Mevagissey harbour . can anyone please point me in the direction of water etiquette/rules ect when using a harbour with a rib do u have to pay to leave the boat in the harbour whilst nipping for refreshments ect? each year we use the tiny boats in mevvy harbour for a couple of hours to do a bit of fishing hence why we bought our own boat as we wont be restricted to a time limit. any advice would be greatly appreciated. ive tried to speak to a few fishermen we know down there but they havent got a clue when it comes to a rib.
Old 26 May 2014, 14:31   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblade View Post
Hi
ive tried to speak to a few fishermen we know down there but they havent got a clue when it comes to a rib.
Meva fishermen ain't got much of a clue about much, inc. fishing!
Old 26 May 2014, 15:52   #3

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
New to Boats Advice please

Your best bet is to find the local harbourmaster. Google it if needed. They'll be more than happy to help you out and point you in the right direction of where to tie up, whether there are charges etc If possible get yourself a handheld waterproof VHF radio. Not only a great safety device, but you can call a local harbourmaster up on it and ask before doing the wrong thing.
Old 26 May 2014, 17:25   #4

Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
I also live in derbyshire and six months ago was at least as green as you if not more !! I know you have bought a small rib with a small engine and I am sure more experienced folk will jump in if I am pointing down the wrong road but have you considered doing the PB2 course ?

We did it before going out in earnest and it provided us with a great safe platform to learn more from . Everyone told me that once I had done the course that I would want a bigger more powerful rib but I don't think I will .

we love exploring with what we have and the course made us aware of what is around you ( fixed or moving ) . What their threats might be or helpful information they provide .

It also gave a great beginners guide to the Col regs which I have found invaluable .
Old 27 May 2014, 12:47   #5

Length: 5m +
i would agree get yourself on an RYA Powerboat Level 2 Course, that will teach you all the basics and a lot of things you probably hadn't considered. they can be expensive depending on where you do it but you may find your local sailing club does it at a reasonable rate.
Old 27 May 2014, 13:31   #6

Town: Helston
Boat name: Myrtle
Make: Zodiac pro 500
Engine: Outboard 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedonna View Post
I also live in derbyshire and six months ago was at least as green as you if not more !! I know you have bought a small rib with a small engine and I am sure more experienced folk will jump in if I am pointing down the wrong road but have you considered doing the PB2 course ?

We did it before going out in earnest and it provided us with a great safe platform to learn more from . Everyone told me that once I had done the course that I would want a bigger more powerful rib but I don't think I will .

we love exploring with what we have and the course made us aware of what is around you ( fixed or moving ) . What their threats might be or helpful information they provide .

It also gave a great beginners guide to the Col regs which I have found invaluable .

Derbyshire!!'
Nice place,spent my first 17yrs in the Peaks.... But one problem NO SEA in any direction for over 70 miles.
Old 27 May 2014, 14:14   #7

Glass half empty glass half full

I can be on the sea ;

north wales 2 1/2 hours
Whitby 2 1/2'hours
Solent. 3 hours
Ardrossan 4 1/2 hours

That's what I keep telling myself when I look at my boat in the middle of England !!!
Old 27 May 2014, 14:30   #8

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
You can get stop overs (and overnights) at Mevagissey, but its not the most visitor friendly place, especially for a newbie. You are only allowed in the outer harbour, the visitor moorings are on the big pier on the left as you go in. Be aware it can be a long climb out of the boat, and I have had more than 1 refusal to climb back down !

I wouldnt worry about Mevagissey, there are a lot of stunning places round there, my picks include Polkerris and if the weather is settled a run to Polperro where you can beach the boat right in the harbour on a beach. You can also run up to Fowey, the good news is that the tender pontoons are free for boats under 6m. A run up the river is also great.

As mentioned above, get some training, its the best investment you can make. Dont forget the safety kit, anchor, VHF and lifejackets as a minimum.
Old 27 May 2014, 17:24   #9

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamn View Post
Derbyshire!!'
Nice place,spent my first 17yrs in the Peaks.... But one problem NO SEA in any direction for over 70 miles.

Didn't seem to bother our Ellen?
Old 27 May 2014, 17:33   #10

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Engine: opti 150
pentewan looks great ,i would reccomend pb2 and the aforementioned safety gear how many are gonna be on the boat an 8hp could struggle with weight to plane . dont forget insurance because if you catch the shinies in the harbours it could hurt your pocket try craftinsure
if its your first time afloat inform someone like the warden in pentewan and agree a contact time but i would reccomend just thrashing it about in the harbour regulaly checking your fuel getting to grips with how the sib behaves,i recon you`ll need a tiller extension to throw all the weight up front when the engine screams and you can feel a hump under the middle of the boat lean forward and you should pop on the plane
i`ve been boating 4 years with pb2 and still pea green that sea is scarey stuff ,never be scared to ask a dumb question were all here to help, i know a few sibbers are looking at a sibclub which is a great way to boat in company and make some rather splendid friends
Old 27 May 2014, 17:39   #11
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I went into Mevagissey with the Aerotec last summer (went across from Fowey) and had no problems. We beached the boat by the old lifeboat station aquarium and had a picnic. The hire bait people and everyone else were very friendly.
Old 27 May 2014, 19:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post

Next village on
Whatstandwell
Old 27 May 2014, 19:56   #13

Town: Helston
Boat name: Myrtle
Make: Zodiac pro 500
Engine: Outboard 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post

True!! There are a fair few famous ocean types from Derbyshire. I chose to live near the sea but still visit family in Matlock twice a year.
Old 27 May 2014, 20:01   #14

Quote:
True!! There are a fair few famous ocean types from Derbyshire. I chose to live near the sea but still visit family in Matlock twice a year.

Don't think I will be adding to the list . At least I hope not !
Old 29 May 2014, 22:35   #15

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Engine: opti 150
Quote:
i was considering sibbing matlock .have you done this ?
Old 30 May 2014, 05:47   #16

Sorry mate what do you mean sibbing Matlock . Do you mean going on the river ? Sorry if I am being thick