Old 20 August 2004, 20:13   #21

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Steve,

I bought my RIB so that I and my family could enjoy a hobby together, unfortunatly the wife decided that it wasn't for her, after buying the boat!!

However I'm still keen on my children experiencing some of the action, but can only safely take them out one at a time unless a friend/s comes along. I will try to give you some obserations I have made:

1. If travelling with children and you're by yourself, it's handy to see them all the time. A large jockey console seat is good, as you can put a child right in front of you and give you and the child confidence, alternativly some seating forward of the helm should suffice, give em a strap over the seat to hold on to and off you go.

2. Seating arangement is all important as mentioned before, but there will be times children will want to stand. Two jockeys side by side gives a space between and if you join the back rests together or have a storage box behind, it is a convenient and relativly safe standing position with grab rails in the form of back rests around.

3. If your children like to roam, stick safety harnesses on the "D" ring of their lifejackets and make sure that its only long enough to let them reach the tubes and not overboard or near the outboard.

4. Carry plenty of spare kill cords, keys and anything else they can throw over the side and watch that DSC Emergancy button on VHF (unless you want to be botherd with Air Sea Rescue)

5. Some form of helmet is essential, espetially if they sit in front of you at the helm. That steering wheel is very close to their heads and one stuff into a wave and you'll knock em out (and damage your steering) a biycycle helmet is ok or a professional one is even better as it'll have a visor that'll keep the spray away.

6. If you getting a Boat for the first time like me, and launching from a slip consider the possibility of upgrading you car to something with 4WD as I can't garantee a recovery by myself and have been helped several times by friendly persons with 4X4's.

Hope this little insight helps and hasn't put you off too much.

Good luck RIB searching at the weekend,

Andy
Old 20 August 2004, 20:25   #22

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Rogers
You can take her for a spin yourself in mine if you want Dan,I can sit back in yours and take some photo's of her.I can also raid your fridge whilst your gone.
thanks wayne

its not me she want to go with i go to slow last time we went out from levington she said why are we going so slow when wayne red rib goes so fast
i said to her the more pennys it costs the faster it goes

she said wayne must have a lot of pennys

with that new engine it looks like you won the lottery

dan
Old 20 August 2004, 20:31   #23

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Wellcome to RIBNet Steve.

RIBs are great for kids, they are safe boats (safer than any other hard boat in the range you are looking) and I'm sure that you will have a good time on one. We ceratinly do

GO FOR IT!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0038.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	7598   Click image for larger version

Name:	One Saturday at Makronissos0008.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	7599  
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2004, 22:14   #24

Town: Birmingham
Make: Avon
Length: 5.5
Engine: Mercury 75
Send a message via MSN to Andy Beach
Steve,

I've sent you a PM (Private Message) with a few details on a RIB if you're interested. Happy hunting.

Andy Beach
Old 22 August 2004, 15:33   #25

Town: Dunedin
Boat name: Zebedee
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15 2 stroke
Long seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEBoy
Simon - was this a standard option or a custom job ?
Hi Steve,

The long seat was a custom job, so you'd have to discuss it with your preferred manufacturer. We sized it (160cm) by sitting the family astride a wooden plank in the kitchen, discussed it with Jason at Ribcraft, and they fit it into the 4.8 just nicely. Highly recommended, if that's what you need (but I didn't see anything like this on the second hand market).

cheers,
Simon