Old 25 August 2016, 20:19   #1

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
new rib ordered

well after a few weeks i had narrowed it down to highfield and humber i went to see a highfield and i wasn't that impressed with the welding on the alloy hull so we ended up going for a 5.3 humber destroyer we had initially dismissed humber as we weren't sure we could get the seating arrangement that we were looking for so a trip to yam power in glasgow was required and they had a couple of boats that we could try for size the only down side is the lead time of 8 weeks ish but it will give me time to get stuff together for the build we are probably going to strip the brig and use the engine and as much as possible for the build the only major change is hydraulic steering after trying the ribs in the dealer mrs breezeblock liked that hopefully it will turn up for her 40th birthday
Old 25 August 2016, 20:34   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Nice one - a new RIB is always nice. Why are you stripping the old boat - is it shot?
Old 25 August 2016, 20:43   #3

RIBase
no the old boat is fine we were struggling for room and the seating positions in the brig were no good as our oldest has a spinal brace so the large single jockey seat was no use the new one is ordered with 2 large narrow jockey seats an extra wide console with a seat in front that takes 2 so it has comfortable seating for 6 it was really difficult to choose as there are so many manufacturers
Old 25 August 2016, 20:51   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Good choice breezeblock humbers are great boats long standing company very good range of boats enjoy rigging her up and taking her out.

Cheers
Old 25 August 2016, 21:03   #5

RIBase
they were actually cheaper than highfield as well , tony at yampower spent a fair bit of his time putting a good package together that would fit our needs i know they are selling a product but it was appreciated his logical approach to boats i am used to fixing diggers so it will be a welcome change to do something new
Old 26 August 2016, 02:04   #6

Town: global
Boat name: VSR
Length: 5m +
Very nice choice.

After doing extenisive homework myself, I'm finding that the Humber Destroyer is very good value especially if you don't get it in safety orange (resale value). It's not a Gucci boat but Humber gets the important bits right. Your family should be safe & comfortable in that boat and it's solid; you'll have many years of fun it. Another hull I found equally as nice is the XS Ribs.

Only offering a warning about stripping your Brig if it's decent good working shape, I'm sure willk was thinking the same thing when asking his question above. Your going to have more problems selling a stripped hull and for much less money as opposed to selling it complete. Stripped ribs are usually reserved for fire sales.

You may want to do a cost differential between selling a stripped boat to a good complete boat. You'll be surprised how much good gear you can get off eBay and gumtree in excellent to new condition (sitting on shelf) for little money; that's if your short on funds for new dealer gear for your Humber. You now have 8+ weeks to shop around for gear. I would not be surprised if you'll save more money and time that way compared to stripping the Brig. Trying to use gear from another boat can be quite problematic and time consuming during the install process and often it's expensive to getting it all to work properly.

However I can totally understand about using the same motor if it's a good Honda four stroke. Maybe find a good working 2 stroke for the Brig in order to sell it complete.
Old 26 August 2016, 03:37   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailrib View Post
I'm sure willk was thinking the same thing when asking his question above.
Jeeze - you must be related to Missus willk! She knows what I was thinking when I ask a question....
Old 26 August 2016, 03:57   #8

Town: global
Boat name: VSR
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Jeeze - you must be related to Missus willk! She knows what I was thinking when I ask a question....
Well my missus usually answers my questions almost before I ask, especially when I'm asking if she would mind if I go out for sail or a pint. Thankfully I usually get the green light with a smile.
Old 26 August 2016, 05:52   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailrib View Post
Very nice choice.

After doing extenisive homework myself, I'm finding that the Humber Destroyer is very good value especially if you don't get it in safety orange (resale value). It's not a Gucci boat but Humber gets the important bits right. Your family should be safe & comfortable in that boat and it's solid; you'll have many years of fun it. Another hull I found equally as nice is the XS Ribs.

Only offering a warning about stripping your Brig if it's decent good working shape, I'm sure willk was thinking the same thing when asking his question above. Your going to have more problems selling a stripped hull and for much less money as opposed to selling it complete. Stripped ribs are usually reserved for fire sales.

You may want to do a cost differential between selling a stripped boat to a good complete boat. You'll be surprised how much good gear you can get off eBay and gumtree in excellent to new condition (sitting on shelf) for little money; that's if your short on funds for new dealer gear for your Humber. You now have 8+ weeks to shop around for gear. I would not be surprised if you'll save more money and time that way compared to stripping the Brig. Trying to use gear from another boat can be quite problematic and time consuming during the install process and often it's expensive to getting it all to work properly.

However I can totally understand about using the same motor if it's a good Honda four stroke. Maybe find a good working 2 stroke for the Brig in order to sell it complete.
its only really the engine fuel tank and gauges that is getting reused but its quite a saving as a new motor is 7 1/2k so its worth doing even if the hull doesn't sell also the engines only got 330hrs on it

Tags
rib