Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 14 January 2006, 16:58   #1

Town: Exeter
Length: 3m +
Send a message via MSN to Fix3d_
New rib for the summer, advice...

First of all this is my first post so i would i like to say hello to everyone and hope you all had a good christmas!

Im thinking about a rib for the summer and was playing with the idea the year before last of buying a quicksilver rhino rider! This will be my first rib that i have ever owned and im finding myself completely lost as to any resources or information regarding them, neither on here or google.. Would anyone be able to point me towards any suppliers? I'll continue trying to find some information but any help would be appreciated!

Many thanks
Old 14 January 2006, 17:17   #2
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
The quiksilver rhino rider is in an interesting concept, some info here:
http://www.boatchandlery.co.uk/rhino.htm

They have a plastic hull so are relatively heavy, and not especially quick, although a lot of fun for small children/ teenagers. Being only 3m in length, you can't really fit more than two people on there, and secondly they are not especially good in rough weather although better than a similar sized dory.
They seem to be quite expensive, especially new and for this sort of money I would consider a 4m Avon Searider.
Rhino riders are great for use as a tender and ripping around on but if you intend to do any cruising or go out in rough weather is probably not the boat for you.

Alex
Old 14 January 2006, 17:26   #3

Im really just looking for a bit of summer 'fun' to be honest, i do like the look of the rhino riders but perhaps if it's 2 people max and tey are quite heavy i'll have to start considering other options,

It will only be used in fair weather and during the summer, and i was looking for around 20hp which rules out alot of the other smaller inflatables..
Old 14 January 2006, 17:35   #4
ADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix3d_
Im really just looking for a bit of summer 'fun' to be honest, i do like the look of the rhino riders but perhaps if it's 2 people max and tey are quite heavy i'll have to start considering other options,

It will only be used in fair weather and during the summer, and i was looking for around 20hp which rules out alot of the other smaller inflatables..
Cool, yeah they are a bit of fun, I know a mate who had one and you can squeeze 3 or four people on there, but you get a bit wet. They are nippy but after a while you will be craving for more power, im not sure a 20hp will pull a ringo or pull up a skier for example. If you have your heart set on one, pick up a secondhand one, and use it for next season, then if you decide you want to upgrade you can sell it on and you wont lose much if any money on it.

Alex
Old 14 January 2006, 17:43   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Alex are you a mature stoodent?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2006, 17:45   #6

I could probably stretch to 25hp, lol

It's just finding one second hand!.. Seems they just arn't sold! I noticed one in the classifides here around 3 years ago being sold but that being the only one it does consern sightly..
Old 14 January 2006, 17:46   #7
ADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
Alex are you a mature stoodent?
Nope, 18, first year Geography student at Nottingham. Why do you ask?

Not alot around secondhand try www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk although its down at the moment.

Alex
Old 14 January 2006, 17:50   #8

A mature student? Well im 21 and out of college..
Old 14 January 2006, 17:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
Nope, 18, first year Geography student at Nottingham. Why do you ask?

Alex

Your comments so far have been quite sensible and thought out, good work for a youngster
Old 14 January 2006, 17:55   #10
ADS

Quote:
Your comments so far have been quite sensible and thought out, good work for a youngster
Cheers , im in essay writing mode at the moment, hence why my responces seem articulate! Best get down the bar!
Old 14 January 2006, 17:59   #11

Thanks for the info ADS, do appreciate the responces given, i would also be greatful if anybody see's any for sale to please let me know as i'll be all over it very quickly

I can be contacted on joel@d-labs.co.uk!

I'll also keep an eye on that website..

Thanks
Old 14 January 2006, 18:00   #12

if you need lessons in drinking Jimbo is becoming quite accomplished I believe
Old 14 January 2006, 18:00   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Welcome...

I can't provide any info on the Rhino Rider, but I am aware of some "similar" craft - that might be of interest... ...before I start to waffle about them - there is a wealth of expertise on this site and they might be able to give more guidance on the type of rib you are looking for (or alternatives to consider) if you were able to explain what it is about the rhino that appeals, and what you are planning to do with the boat (where use, how many people, how far from shore, sort of weather you are likely to go out in etc).

Ok - I am a bit of an imposter here as my boat is technically not a real rib but a polyethylene molded rib look-a-like. I am very happy with it, and managed to buy a brand new boat for the cost of a similar sized 2nd hand rib. My boat (http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11371) is a FunYak (sparfel 3.90) supplied by their UK distributor (www.atlanticfocus.com) with a 20 HP Yamaha she does over 20 knots. They also do a smaller one - see website for details. They have an agent on the South Coast of england somewhere but if you want to discuss it with them then I suggest you go direct to Derek at Atlantic Focus. I don't know whereabouts in England you are but if its closer to me (nr Edinburgh) than the south coast then please feel free to PM me and you can come and have a try.

When I was looking at these I also came across a Dundee based company (http://www.marinerevolution.co.uk/macboats.htm) who were importing similar boats from New Zealand. They were significantly more expensive than the FunYak for the complete boat, but they did have a "wee" boat (Mac Attack 360) very similar in style to the "rhino" you are considering and it was gorgeous in black. They do a DVD showing the boats in action (and I am sure the guys in Dundee would be able to arrange a spin on the Tay if you were keen - or they have a dealer in Wales too). Even if you don't want to buy one - you should get the DVD just to see them drop a boat 30ft onto concrete and it survive - unscathed!

Budget was the main decider for us, but there is another advantage: our boat has seating moulded into the side of the "tubes" so actually has more storage and seating room 'inside' than a traditional rib. The FunYak doesn't have a jokey seat (it has a horizontal bench in my config. or you can have no seat and move the wheel back) which is my only real criticism. Aesthetically I don't think either looks as good as a real rib - but from a distance you would never really know, and you don't have to worry about puncturing the tube or UV damage etc.

Hope that helps!

NEIL
Old 14 January 2006, 18:01   #14

There is an Avon 4 m on ebay at the moment
Old 14 January 2006, 18:14   #15

Quote:
There is an Avon 4 m on ebay at the moment
Did indeed notice it rouge and i have sent a couple of questions to the seller

Polwart: Thanks for the response, in regards to what application im looking to use the rib for it's aimed towards the region of as i said summer fun.. So close to shore, ripping about and possibility some activitys involving a ringo,

Budget is going to be another decider for me as well, it is only going to be used during the summer months and stored away in the winter.. It would be slightly silly me paying loads of money for something that will only be used 1 season a year, as i've said i am fairly new to ribs and the reason i took to the rhino rider so quickly is most likely down to the way it looks.. I've been looking at the Quicksilver 370's as well, i'm still a little undecided which way i want to head.. Want something fairly quick, fun, light, agile and with a steering rig,

Hows that?
Old 14 January 2006, 18:17   #16
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Avon-rib-boat-...QQcmdZViewItem

This one? That 45 4stroke will use about the same in fuel as a 25 2-stroke and be a damn sight more reliable....

Buy the searider

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2006, 18:21   #17

Aye, thats the one

Does seem incredibly cheep and i am temped!
Old 14 January 2006, 18:23   #18

Length: 6m +
Quote:
if you need lessons in drinking Jimbo is becoming quite accomplished I believe
Yup - lemonade and water, I don't drink!

Fix3d_ - you've already said that budget is a deciding factor, and obviously you're looking for something around the 3.5 - 4m mark, but is there anything else that would be an advantage? Where do you intend to store the boat? What sort of launching facilities will you be using etc?
Old 14 January 2006, 18:38   #19
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Sorry took so long writing my original email I missed ADS comments... ...most of what he says I would agree with but here are some more thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
They have a plastic hull so are relatively heavy,
I can't comment specifically on the rhino - but my plastic boat is considerably lighter than I would expect for an equivalent grp boat. I can just lift it off one side of the trailer to ajust the bunks etc - and I'm a weaking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
and not especially quick, although a lot of fun for small children/ teenagers.
That's all relative - they're not as fast as a PWC, or a rib with a much bigger engine. But as someone recently observed to me - its very like being in a go-kart on water. Even if its "relatively slow" it feels fast as f**k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
you can't really fit more than two people on there
The alternative I am suggesting is slightly bigger so you will get more people on it. Comfortably 3 - no problems, and RCD rated for 6 (in class D water - or 3 in class C) - whicyou can't really fit more than two people on there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
they are not especially good in rough weather although better than a similar sized dory.
I think I would be inclined to agree with that (but no worse than any other 3m boat?). And I would think they are also better than a 3m SIB in the same conditions. My boat is certainly wet in a following sea with waves over ~0.5m. But I have had it out in worse and survived to tell the tale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
seem to be quite expensive, especially new and for this sort of money I would consider a 4m Avon Searider.
I don't know what your budget is or what these cost, but as a guide, with a trailer, 20HP engine etc my 3.9m boat cost just under £4k new. I can't remember how much the 3.6m mac-attack was working out at but it was certainly more than this - possible closer to 7k all in?

Cheers,

NEIL
Old 14 January 2006, 18:39   #20
ADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix3d_
Aye, thats the one

Does seem incredibly cheep and i am temped!
I was tempted by that one, its a good price, but I always feel a 2-stroke is best suited to a Searider! That one hasn't got power trim either and those Hondas are heavy old lumps.
I would think you can get a mint Searider 4m and a ptt 40-60HP for under £3k. I would go as far as to say you could pick up a decent searider with a Yammie tripple 40HP+ for the same money as a Rhino Rider. Its what I should have bought!! I would rather be Searider than a RhinoRider

Theres always a few SR4s for sale.
Searider specs here: http://www.boat-finder.net/17813/details.php