Old 28 August 2018, 21:09   #1

Town: Otley
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140
New Rib for Newbie .....

Hi all , my name is Ian and Ive been lurking for a bit now but hopefully i am soon to be a new ribber .....

If i can ask a rather general question , mainly about my proposed new rib .... I am looking to buy a Ribcraft 585 from the 2002/3 era with a Suzuki DF140 fitted , from new i believe ... It is in very good condition no patches / obvious damage etc .... x4 jockey seats in a side by side configuration .... average electronics package , dragonfly 5' plotter , vhf etc , a-frame , lights and a good condition galvanised roller trailer .

would anyone like to give me a rough price range for a boat of that spec ?

And also is there anything specific to this era of Hull / Engine i should look out for in my inspections ?

I think i am pretty much sold on buying it , i would just like my mind eased a little as it dosent come with much paperwork or service history .... fairly normal i am led to believe .... I can only compare to cars where that isnt so normal , in my experience .

all the best for now

Ian
Old 28 August 2018, 22:16   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Gecko
Make: Valiant
Engine: 115 Optimax
MMSI: 235060442
RIBase
Hi
It’s not normal to not have some service paper work for the engine at least. I’d say given the lack of paper work around £8K
Old 30 August 2018, 08:09   #3

Hi Simon

Thanks for the reply , Is that price based on what you would like to buy as an end of season bargain , or you being a hard buyer , and not bothered if the vendor said no , you'd just walk away ?

I seem to feel it is a bit low for what is a very tidy , well running boat of a decent marque and size ... based on others i have seen for sale / sold of similar age ... and im sure they dont all have " full service historys " .... although maybe i just want it to be that way :-)

I'm just looking for a decent rib at a fair price that i can work with , and it dosent have me driving up and down the country burning fuel , time coffee etc ... which can add up significantly .

cheers

Ian
Old 30 August 2018, 10:45   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Rigmarol
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200
RIBase
Hi Ian,
Just checking that you received my response to your Pm earlier ? I am still learning how to use site , so just wanted to check .

Kind regard
Jez
Old 31 August 2018, 20:31   #5

Hi Jez , yes i did see and reply to your PM . Thank you .

Guys , any more views on the medium sized Ribcraft ?

cheers

Ian
Old 01 September 2018, 06:08   #6

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
my rib came with lots of paperwork and 2 keys which was a first for me as iv had about half a dozen hard shell boats ribs and sibs over the years and iv never had any paperwork with any of them .they were all at a lower price range though don't know if that makes any difference. tbh it wouldn't worry me too much I have bought cars with full service history that have gone on to shit themselves .paperwork no guaranty its good use your eyes ears and listen to the little voice inside your head and if your new to it take a friend to offer an opinion
Old 01 September 2018, 11:04   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonh66 View Post
Hi
It’s not normal to not have some service paper work for the engine at least. I’d say given the lack of paper work around £8K

On 16yr old ribs? Perhaps with the original buyer but if it’s on its third or fourth owner not so likely. Some people are meticulous and keep every receipt in a nicely organised folder. Some are not so bothered. Likewise some dealers are very thorough at issuing invoices and some are more focussed on the engineering! I do most of my own servicing so obviously have no receipts for that.

I’d be more interested in hearing how/where serviced, any problems and a credible story than a dozen invoices from a dealer and a clueless owner.
Old 01 September 2018, 11:25   #8
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Hi Jez , yes i did see and reply to your PM . Thank you .

Guys , any more views on the medium sized Ribcraft ?

cheers

Ian

The boat is fine, with a good reputation, I think some people may not be impressed by that engine - but in reality it will do the job. It’s a 16yr old boat and engine - it might look great but eventually things do need looking at. The battery would be an obvious one if it is original. The wiring would be worth looking carefully at too, I wouldn’t be surprised if any boat that age needed some rewiring unless it’s been stored indoors with a meticulous owner. Trailers can rack up significant bills and are often neglected in annual servicing. Electronics are essentially worthless second hand. Hypalon tubes should last at least 20 years (and quite possibly 30+). If you are unlucky this will mean you have end of life tubes when you come to sell it - a major expense for you or the buyer, and with a then pretty old engine you could well be selling to the “one step up from a project” section. In 4-5 yrs time I’d certainly say it could be worth less than 5k unless it is a really amazing example and you continue to look after it thoroughly.

So question is, how much are you prepared to loose on it between now and selling it? Work back from there and that’s the most you should pay. It could be £8k as suggested, but I can see that £10k is not silly if it’s really as nice as you think. The seller may think its worth more, but it does depend how much of a rush to sell he is in and you are in to buy. It’s coming towards end of season and if he has to pay to store it (and renew insurance, service etc) or he’s got a replacement lined up he’ll be more flexible than if he is well off, with free dry, secure storage and knows come April some mug will be desperate for a new toy.
Old 02 September 2018, 13:29   #9

Hi Poly and Beerbelly

Thanks for the replys guys , some things to think about , the tubes and resell value especially ... i do know the present owner , and if boat needs things doing he gets them fixed .. and right ..not bodged .... its had a new battery , trim actuators , vhf , antenna etc recently and trailers had bearings and been serviced .

I,m fairly sure hes not doing me over ... ive also just had the boat looked over by someone more experienced that me .... and it got a thumbs up .

So i think i am going for it

watch this space for the soon to be forthcoming list of newbie questions though ... I will be having a few , but i need to do a bit of homework first and familiarise myself with the beast before i start asking for help .....

thanks again for the noo
Old 02 September 2018, 22:02   #10
RIBnet admin team

If you know and trust the owner, and he’s not been skimping for the last 18months because he’s about to it then it sounds like it could be a good buy.

Tags
rib