Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 26 April 2006, 20:31   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: The Black Pearl
Make: BRIG F400S
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40HP E-TEC
New RIB - and plastic purchasing question!

Well, got my new RIB today Absolutely thrilled with it!

Got a BRIG F400S with a 40HP E-Tec on the back, took it out for a play earlier - really impressed. The E-Tec is fantastic, really quiet but also really punchy. It's pretty heavy too though!! When I'm winching onto the trailer I have to hold it down at the front to stop it tipping (prob should explain that due to my slip being ex-naval it's a shallow gradient and I need to go about 7m from the shoreline to get enough water to launch hence it's not connected to the towbar!).

Got two problems though.... I have a Lowrance 332C chartplotter and an ICOM M421 VHF to get on there and the console is pretty small... I think I'm just going to mount the VHF vertically on the left hand side of the console, I'm assuming that the ICOM plastic bracket will be strong enough foir that?? I'll put penny washers on the other side to avoid stressing the 'glass.

The chart plotter is another issue though.... I decided to remove the compass which was supplied (I didn't ask for it, was an ex-demo boat) as it's slap bang in the middle of the top section of the console, I was just going to fill in the holes from the 3 screws with Gel Coat filler, however I removed it to discover a huge (like 100mm diameter) hole in the top of the console as it had a recessed part So.... thinking of covering the whole console top with a piece of white plastic (like UPVC, the stuff they use for double glazing) and mounting the plotter on top of that so that it looks nice - good idea or is there a better one?

Anybody know where I can buy a sheel of plastic like that?? Will just need a wee bit.

Thanks folks!

Fraser
Old 26 April 2006, 20:47   #2
ADS

Town: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjarvis
Well, got my new RIB today Absolutely thrilled with it!

Got a BRIG F400S with a 40HP E-Tec on the back, took it out for a play earlier - really impressed. The E-Tec is fantastic, really quiet but also really punchy. It's pretty heavy too though!! When I'm winching onto the trailer I have to hold it down at the front to stop it tipping (prob should explain that due to my slip being ex-naval it's a shallow gradient and I need to go about 7m from the shoreline to get enough water to launch hence it's not connected to the towbar!).

Got two problems though.... I have a Lowrance 332C chartplotter and an ICOM M421 VHF to get on there and the console is pretty small... I think I'm just going to mount the VHF vertically on the left hand side of the console, I'm assuming that the ICOM plastic bracket will be strong enough foir that?? I'll put penny washers on the other side to avoid stressing the 'glass.

The chart plotter is another issue though.... I decided to remove the compass which was supplied (I didn't ask for it, was an ex-demo boat) as it's slap bang in the middle of the top section of the console, I was just going to fill in the holes from the 3 screws with Gel Coat filler, however I removed it to discover a huge (like 100mm diameter) hole in the top of the console as it had a recessed part So.... thinking of covering the whole console top with a piece of white plastic (like UPVC, the stuff they use for double glazing) and mounting the plotter on top of that so that it looks nice - good idea or is there a better one?

Anybody know where I can buy a sheel of plastic like that?? Will just need a wee bit.

Thanks folks!

Fraser
You got any pictures of the console layout, and we might be able to come up with some ideas, I would hold off cutting a new console about! Nice package by the way, the Brigs seem well built innovative boats, theres a dealer round the corner from me, and the ETECs are great engines. Hope you have alot of fun with it!
Old 26 April 2006, 20:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
You got any pictures of the console layout, and we might be able to come up with some ideas, I would hold off cutting a new console about! Nice package by the way, the Brigs seem well built innovative boats, theres a dealer round the corner from me, and the ETECs are great engines. Hope you have alot of fun with it!
Will try and snap a few photos at the weekend, it's down at the marina and I'm away the next couple of days...
Old 26 April 2006, 20:53   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
trailer problems

I had similar problems with my trailer when I first got my boat (not getting the boat on the trailer but getting the trailer back to the car with a rope). Not enough nose weight. I solved the problem by moving the winch post forward, in principal you can achieve the same effect by moving the axle backwards. might be possible to do this on yours too.

Neil
Old 26 April 2006, 20:55   #5
RIBnet admin team

plastic sheet

fraser,

I should have some contacts for plastic material in the office tomorrow (they will be based edinburgh way though!).

If I remember i'll fish them out and PM you tomorrow.

Neil
Old 26 April 2006, 20:59   #6

Town: Liverpool
Length: 10m +
what size is the top you are trying to cover?
Old 26 April 2006, 21:00   #7

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
fjarvis,

If you want some UPVC stuff then just go round your local double glazing companies. One of them will sell you the plastic you want.

Be warned though the plastic is full of air behind the nice shiny exterior so the edges of it look real rough and get dirty easy. You always need to find a finishing edge to neaten it up.

What I use is a piece of perspex from B & Q at £9 for a decent sheet. I then spray one side of this with white paint and then attach that to my console when I'm doing modifications.

PS make sure the painted side is the one fixed to the console. I fix it with silicon sealant. Looks good on my old RIB. I'm not too sure if I'd want to do it on a brand new RIB.

Post some photos then we can post some ideas.
Old 26 April 2006, 21:03   #8
ADS

Town: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
fjarvis,

What I use is a piece of perspex from B & Q at £9 for a decent sheet. I then spray one side of this with white paint and then attach that to my console when I'm doing modifications.

PS make sure the painted side is the one fixed to the console. I fix it with silicon sealant. Looks good on my old RIB. I'm not too sure if I'd want to do it on a brand new RIB.

Post some photos then we can post some ideas.
Gd post Biggles, if you get some clear perspex then spray the under side white and fix it to the console the paint should remain intact.
Remote control car shells come clear and you spray the inside. Think this is prob a good idea, but post some pics!!
Old 26 April 2006, 21:19   #9

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjarvis
I have the same kit. Here is my layout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0016.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	18687  
Old 26 April 2006, 21:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by endeavour boats
what size is the top you are trying to cover?
didn't have the measuring tape with me, but it's small... approx i'd say 350x150.

quite like the idea of the spray painted perspex, but I shall indeed post some pics before doing anything!
Old 27 April 2006, 12:56   #11
RIBnet admin team

Fraser,

Here are contact details for plastic supplier we have used in the past. Always seem happy enough to supply us with even little bits.

They have a pretty wide range and should be able to supply a range of materials, colours and thicknesses...

Easter Road Plastics Ltd,
Units 8, Thorntreeside Ind Est, Edinburgh, Midlothian EH6 8TN
Tel: 0131 554 0224
Old 27 April 2006, 13:42   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
Fraser,

Here are contact details for plastic supplier we have used in the past. Always seem happy enough to supply us with even little bits.

They have a pretty wide range and should be able to supply a range of materials, colours and thicknesses...

Easter Road Plastics Ltd,
Units 8, Thorntreeside Ind Est, Edinburgh, Midlothian EH6 8TN
Tel: 0131 554 0224
Thanks for that, found a place Stockline Plastics in Glasgow too. Going to pop up there after work and see what they have.

Cheers,
Fraser
Old 27 April 2006, 17:01   #13

Town: Liverpool
Length: 10m +
if you pm me your address and postcode, i will post you a piece of white grp.

steve
Old 27 April 2006, 19:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by endeavour boats
if you pm me your address and postcode, i will post you a piece of white grp.

steve
Hi Steve,
Thanks very much for the offer, but I managed to get a sheet of white PVC today from a plastics place near the office - will give that a go.
Cheers,
Fraser