Town: Southampton
Boat name: looking for one
Make: Not decided
Length: no boat
Engine: Outboard
Send a message via Yahoo to NikB
New rib

Hi,

I have been reading the forum for the last couple of months and registered a few days ago with a view to eventually buying a rib.
Firstly though, congratulations on a great site and many thanks for some very informative, knowledgeable and very often comical (although not always intended) posts.
I am looking at a 6.5 to 7 meter with 110-150 outboard engine. I have a 2lt 4x4 for towing.
I will be using the rib in the Solent - mainly cruising with my wife and children. Had a keen interest in RIB-X, Humber and XS. Have also visited Lawrence at Barnet who was very helpful. However, the ’The chief’ was not too so keen as she thinks that its a bit commercial looking in colour(!!) and two she wants rear bench/bucket seats for older friends, children and perhaps even mother(!) for Sunday sails. To an extent, I had to agree with her.

I am also looking to do a powerboat course. What type course do I need to attend?

Comments/advice welcome please particularly on locally available models and their suitability for purpose.
Old 07 November 2004, 16:38   #2

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Nik,

First of all welcome to the forum. You will get lots of useful advice on this topis I expect because there are a lot of owners of the RIBs you have listed.

I myself can't really help you other than have you looked at Solent RIBs (www.fairweathermarine.co.uk) and ring/ribcraft (www.bembridgeoutboards.co.uk)?

As you can see from my profile I am an engineering student at southampton. Are you a lecturer at this fine university?!

Cheers

Tim
Old 07 November 2004, 17:10   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Hi Nick

Welcome to this site, if it helps I have just bought an Avon 620 Adventure with 2 Double Jockey's and a bench seat behind and also bench seat in front of/as part of the main steering consule. I went for a Suzuki DF140hp which I have to say I am thrilled with. The Rib is also in the new Avon darker blue. As for Powerboat course I did the Powerboat Level 2 course which aslo gives you the ICC certificate which you need if you want to go overseas. I did this at http://www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk/ and found them very helpful, also did my VHF Radio course there as well. About to book up my Intermediate Course with them too.

Anyway I use my Rib in the Solent so perhaps hook up with you sometime and go cruising. You will also find a lot of other friendly people on here too!!
Old 07 November 2004, 17:19   #4

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Oh Nik, forgot to mention, if you are a lecturer at the uni, we can do powerboat course there and at very reasonable prices. I assume it is all RYA affiliated but I'm not sure.

Otherwise, there are loads of schools in the area. To name but a few on this forum: Rogue Wave (Soton), Tim Griffin (Cowes) etc etc

Cheers

Tim
Old 07 November 2004, 18:06   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy
Hi Nick

Welcome to this site, if it helps I have just bought an Avon 620 Adventure with 2 Double Jockey's and a bench seat behind and also bench seat in front of/as part of the main steering consule. I went for a Suzuki DF140hp which I have to say I am thrilled with. The Rib is also in the new Avon darker blue.

I was going to mention the Avon - mate has one and is very pleased with it - very well sorted leisure RIB.
Old 07 November 2004, 20:31   #6

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Welcome.

I don't think much of the Xrib at all. I do not think they are made by craftsmen and although attractive if you are going to use it regularly I think it would depreciate quite quickly.

Bench seat on the back is Ok but I'd avoid having one of those front seats that fit on to the console I think they are quite an easy way of giving somebody a bad back on a RIB

I think the XS are quite nifty ribs Humbers have a solid reputation ans also I think people are happy with Raiders. the Ring and Solents are likely to be quite fast compared to the other boats say plus 5 lnots buy the ride may be a tad twitchy for Granny!

It might also be worth you having a look at Parker Ribs which I also think are well made Andre who posts on this site makes em.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2004, 21:14   #7

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Nik,

Like Rogue I ain't a big fan of Rib-X. Heard much more bad stories about them/ Falcons than any other RIB on the market. All IMHO of course!!

As you can see I've got an XS-600 from Barnet Marine. I know they do look a bit commercial but if you choose the right colours (see pic) they can look like a nice leisure RIB too. You can pretty much have what ever colour you want for the glasswork and any colour tubes too except at an extra cost if not blue/orange/grey.

On a more important note, especially as you say you will be bringin children, older friends & Granny!! The XS hull gives a safe, soft, comfortable ride and is VERY DRY. I haven't got wet in anything F6 or below yet.

Here's a clip of us ripping it up!!

http://homepage.eircom.net/~xs600/XS...0%20edited.MPG

Would also reccommend the new 6.5 Redbay Hurricane, it has a moulded deck/ console and so is a good compromise between the commercial/leisure look. A VERY capable RIB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REDBAY.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	9031   Click image for larger version

Name:	6793pg17_Kimm3.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	9032  
Old 07 November 2004, 21:58   #8

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
Nik,

Greeting 7 best of look wth search.. I was in a simillar situation to our self.

Two kids...wife who likes to ski.....friends who want winter wave chasing....

Tried many boats and many different seating arrangements until one day I trialed a fully furnished boat , with bench seats et al ......not a good idea.

Resumed search with focus on good sea boat with double row of jockey seats.

Started to look seriously at Redbay, trialed same, bought6.5.

Redbay have approx four in stock at present.

Best of luck with search.
Old 07 November 2004, 22:42   #9

Town: Hemel Hempstead
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8.1
Engine: inbord diesel 300hp
I spent a lot of time trying to find a family rib but still having good quality and safe handerling. The one that came out tops for me was the Scorpion 8.1 with 4 good jockey seats and a bench seat at the back. I even get my 80 year old farther and 76 year old mum across the island for lunch at Folly
Old 07 November 2004, 23:00   #10

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB
I am also looking to do a powerboat course. What type course do I need to attend?
Hi Nik,

You should do an RYA powerboat Level 2 course - and if you haven't owned a RIB before, do this before looking at buying your RIB. And try to do the course on a similarly sized boat to the one you're planning to buy.

Then when you get to the stage of looking at RIBs, make sure you try as many as possible on the water - don't buy one with out a sea trial.

HTH!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2004, 16:15   #11

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
I have done 10+ hours on my 6.5M Solent, the last three with the 'boss' who has declared that she likes 'our' new boat. Before she came it it was 'my new boat that I was spending far too much time on'. Very fast - 44k on the GPS with a full fuel tank and two up. 47-49 knots with two up, miminal luggage, and Kevin from Solent at the helm. But, and far more siginificantly, not at all twitchy at 20-35 knots in a mixed bag of Solent water so far.

Very pleased with her. Happy to give you a demo if you PM me.
Old 09 November 2004, 16:46   #12

Town: Lichfield, Staffs
Boat name: Bluestreak
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Engine: Yamaha F115AETL
Hi Nick,
Welcome to the forum. I agree with Richard B that it would be worth taking your level 2 RYA course prior to buying your RIB, test as many RIBs as you can before buying and don't just go out on fine days, you need to see how they handle when it turns nasty. I have had several RIBs but now have an Avon 620 with a Yamaha 115 4 stroke, bought it at the Southampton boat show in 2000 from BHG Marine, they now have a new showroom in Lymington.
I had the opportunity to test a number of RIBs at the Southampton boat show but when the conditions got rough only Avon kept going. The only boat that I would consider other than Avon is Scorpion, would love one but it means changing the car to tow it and would cost considerably more than an Avon. I tow mune with a Nissan X Trail 2.2 Diesel.
Good luck with looking, have a look at mine on my website:
graham-woolrich.co.uk
It has the sort of layout that you are looking for.
Regards,
Graham
Old 14 November 2004, 13:33   #13

Boat name: looking for one
Make: Not decided
Engine: Outboard
Send a message via Yahoo to NikB
Thank you al for the feedback.
I am testing a few more ribs in the weeks to come. If I'm lucky will have one for Christmas. I think that I have made up my mind already tough.
I am investigating for a powerboat course somewhere warm where all the family can enjoy the time spent. Cyprus, Turkey, Greece or Malta are the places will be looking at. Will try to avoid Spain or Portugal.
Old 22 November 2004, 22:56   #14

Town: Exeter
Boat name: gazza's girl
Make: rib-X
Length: 5.75
Engine: Suzuki 90 4 stroke
Nikb

Hi Nik

A friendly warning...... Being a family man and after investing a considerable amount of time researching the rib market, like yourself. I purchased a Rib-x 5.75 in June this year.

I was aware that there were some certain bigoted opions on this group but after research most of the critics had never actually tested the boat, or had an interest in the manufacture of alternate ribs.... (ie owned the business or was employed by them)

I can state with confidence and most importantly independance that my Rib-x has surpassed both mine and my families expectation. We had a brilliant summer on the boat and engaged in all typres of activities from diving to water sking, a bit of fishing and just messing around.

It seems a consistant theme from certain members of Ribnet, that if you have not got the same boat as they own then you must have the wrong rib.

As you are obviously an intelligent person by your chosen career then it probably will not take much figuring out that by criticising someone else's choice and raving about your own craft is usually under pinned by a lack of confidence in the decision that individual has made.....

I have never attempted to criticise other products but I remain confident in the decision I made.

GB
Old 22 November 2004, 23:06   #15

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Well put Gazza. You love your boat. Excellent. Many hours of fun to you.

(We love our boat too. It suits us, does what we want it to and so we don't apologize to anyone for it. )

missus
Old 23 November 2004, 04:58   #16

Town: Sydney
Make: Gemini
Length: 5.05
Engine: 85hp Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
Well put Gazza. You love your boat. Excellent. Many hours of fun to you.

(We love our boat too. It suits us, does what we want it to and so we don't apologize to anyone for it. )

missus
Your boat is rubbish Kathleen - you need to get one like mine instead... much better ;-)

ps: just picked up your PM - I was in London for a week!! hence the nocturnal visit...
Old 23 November 2004, 06:46   #17

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardH
Your boat is rubbish Kathleen - you need to get one like mine instead... much better ;-)

ps: just picked up your PM - I was in London for a week!! hence the nocturnal visit...
Is that a deep V Gem then? You have excellent taste

Hope you enjoyed your trip to Londres. Make it summer next time and we'll show you how the Solent beats the pants off Sydney Harbour

(OK I probably would swap it for a pootle on the Paramatta and a trip over to Manly or the Zoo...)

Hope the boat's doin well

missus