Old 17 February 2013, 21:37   #1

Make: Joker Booat
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 70
New Rib

Hi All

Been a long time since I've been on here as I sold my Tornado Super 7 four years ago. However having just moved to Lymington and having a bit more time would like to get back into my RIBS. Having been out of circulation have lost touch with what's good and bad. Currently considering a Humber Ocean Pro 6.3 with 130hp four stroke.

What's the consensus on Humbers ?

So suggestions on whats rugged and looks good, open to suggestions on make and size, budget about 20k.
Old 17 February 2013, 22:27   #2

Town: EXETER
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 90HP 4stroke
Hi Landlord,
There are a lot of very good Ribs available in your budget range and you can't go far wrong with Humber, and several other home built brands. I would look at 2 or 3 year old to cushion the depreciation loss factor. Go for a little used boat with low hours engine and it is worth shopping around especially in your area there are no shortage of dealers eager for cash deals this time of year and in the current economic climate it is definitely a buyers market. Don't rush in and good luck!
Old 18 February 2013, 07:37   #3
dnv

Town: Hamburg
Boat name: Der Delphin
Make: Parker
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 120HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlord View Post
Hi All

Been a long time since I've been on here as I sold my Tornado Super 7 four years ago. However having just moved to Lymington and having a bit more time would like to get back into my RIBS. Having been out of circulation have lost touch with what's good and bad. Currently considering a Humber Ocean Pro 6.3 with 130hp four stroke.

What's the consensus on Humbers ?

So suggestions on whats rugged and looks good, open to suggestions on make and size, budget about 20k.
Parker 630/650
inboard Diesel gives economy and range

Jan

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 19 February 2013, 22:18   #4

Thanks for the replies, had a number of PM's with some excellent advice. Will be researching a couple of RIBS in greater depth and maybe looking at one next week

Budget and size has already changed !
Old 21 February 2013, 08:17   #5

Need to ask a cheeky favour !

It would be helpful if someone could lend me a trailer for a couple of hours. Condition is irrelevant as long as its road legal. Would need to be suitable for a 7m ish rib and be close ish to Lymington. I need to find out whether I can drive onto my drive and turn a trailer round ready to leave again. I have the space to get on and close my gates but not sure of the manoeuvring space. Obviously an empty trailer would mean I could manually move it if required.

Trailer would not be used to move a boat and I have plenty of experience of towing a trailer.

Donation to the Round The Island MacMillan Challenge would be made if someone has such a trailer hanging around !
Old 21 February 2013, 08:26   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

It would be helpful if someone could lend me a trailer for a couple of hours. Condition is irrelevant as long as its road legal. Would need to be suitable for a 7m ish rib and be close ish to Lymington. I need to find out whether I can drive onto my drive and turn a trailer round ready to leave again. I have the space to get on and close my gates but not sure of the manoeuvring space. Obviously an empty trailer would mean I could manually move it if required.

Trailer would not be used to move a boat and I have plenty of experience of towing a trailer.

Donation to the Round The Island MacMillan Challenge would be made if someone has such a trailer hanging around !
Sorry can't help with the trailer, but don't forget to allow for the boat overhang at the transom end. Strap a couple of timbers to the trailer to allow for tubes/engine(s)
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2013, 11:52   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Try Simon at Rib-it at Lymington or even BHG as if you get the rib it is your local dealer so he would benefit
Old 21 February 2013, 15:22   #8

Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
RIBase
Hi I had a Tornado 5.5m built in 1991. we bought a Humber Ocean Pro 6.3m last year with an Optimax 175hp.
this boat is going perfectly, really strongly built. dont see any issues. a bit heavy maybe that could be an advantage.
if i could i will put max HP ...200
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 07:06   #9
OAF

Town: Shropshire/Southampton
Boat name: Thalia
Make: Ribtech,Riviera
Engine: 135 Yamaha
Quote:

I have a 5.7 mtr rib on trailer that you are more than welcome to borrow, you know where it is, just come and pick it up, but then leave it on your drive for me
Old 22 February 2013, 10:43   #10

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
we have the OP 6.3 too with a 175 opti too like Gilles. The hull is great in the rough and very dry due to the extra spray rails over the destroyer. Many OPs have the oversize tubes too, meaning even more seakeeping ability, but less deck space! The deep v hull means you need some grunt though, a 130 would cruise OK but it won't be a flier.

With Humber you get what you see. A good hull, average tube material, simple layout usually (other than with the newer leisure ranges) and arguably good value. There are others where the ancilliaries are perhaps slightly tidier but costs will rise. Ribcraft are popular darn sarf, with good residuals and easy sale. Ospreys are very bespoke in their fit outs and the hulls highly rated, but are both more ££. Ribeye and Valiant are not necessarily cheaper, but they typically have a layout more for the leisure user often with sun decks, tables, more seats etc

The Delta and older Avons have some of the best tubes but £££ starts to rise even more. Or just sell the house and buy a Goldfish

Its horses for courses. Try a few. But a Humber OP isnt the worst place to start from! Not too dissimilar to your Tornado really in terms of target market.
Old 28 February 2013, 14:31   #11

Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
RIBase
ahahahhaha, Paul, do you know that if I m solding my appartment in Luxembourg ...I m still not able to buy the P36 Goldfish
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2013, 16:36   #12

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Engine: evinrude 135hp
I have an Ocean Pro 6.5 with a 135 2 stroke on the back.

It is a nice stable and seaworthy rib, very dry, as already pointed out, very sturdy, and well kitted out, although it is an older one at 10 years old now, it has no leaks in the tubes, and is well put together.

I would suggest a bigger engine though, as the 130 2 stroke is OK, but does not set the world on fire for sure, but if top speed is not your consideration, maybe a 150 would be good.

I really do like the OP, but at 2.6M beam, might be considered a bit wide for trailoring for some, although I do not reall mind it at all.

Good in roughish weather, I took her out last december in 2.5 - 3M seas, and she handled it very well, in fact I gave up well before she ever would have done!

She is a tad heavy, so launching and recovery solo can be a bit tricky, but is perfectly doable.

As other posters have said, a reliable good rib, that will be solid for a few years, and not super expensive....
Old 28 February 2013, 20:11   #13

Thanks for all the input and PM's, decision made..........

Budget went out the window.......

Size increased......

Trailer purchased today

Deposit paid on a very nice 250hp four stroke

Seats ordered from a Mr Ullman

Vessel should be ready in about 7 weeks

Oh and it's not a Humber
Old 04 March 2013, 18:37   #14

Hull now in build.......

Decided on a an Osprey Vipermax 7m with Yamaha F250D. Spec as follows;

Grey hull and Searider console
Carbon tubes with grey wear patches and tri colour stripes
S/S Double tube A frame and windscreen surround
Moulded in rear bench seat
Twin Ullman jockey seats
Forward double seat in front of console (total seating for 7)
Upholstery in black with contrast piping
Garmin 750s and sounder
Micro blue Bluetooth entertainment with 4 marine Kenwood speakers (painted to match the hull/console)
Fly by wire throttle

Think that's the majority of the spec should be ready in about 7 weeks ready for the Round the Island.

Thanks again to everyone's input and PM's was much appreciated
Old 04 March 2013, 19:03   #15
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
That sounds like a good spec and set up- post some images as you get the build ones
Old 04 March 2013, 20:10   #16

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Hull now in build.......

Decided on a an Osprey Vipermax 7m with Yamaha F250D. Spec as follows;

Grey hull and Searider console
Carbon tubes with grey wear patches and tri colour stripes
S/S Double tube A frame and windscreen surround
Moulded in rear bench seat
Twin Ullman jockey seats
Forward double seat in front of console (total seating for 7)
Upholstery in black with contrast piping
Garmin 750s and sounder
Micro blue Bluetooth entertainment with 4 marine Kenwood speakers (painted to match the hull/console)
Fly by wire throttle

Think that's the majority of the spec should be ready in about 7 weeks ready for the Round the Island.

Thanks again to everyone's input and PM's was much appreciated
Great Choice Nigel its going to be a good looking boat

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2013, 07:41   #17

Has been a long 7 weeks but its nearly ready. Engine rigged this week with sea trials tomorrow. Electronics installed today / tomorrow and couple of final pieces of hardware to install and should be ready for this weekend. Couple of minor hiccups to be sorted but overall a relatively smooth build process

Very pleased with the result so far, pictures to follow soon
Old 25 April 2013, 19:16   #18

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Sound's Great!.. You Crazy Kids Enjoy Yourselfs!!..
Hopefully get out with you and Chris again soon.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2013, 15:08   #19

Sea trials today...............what can I say but fantastic, very pleased. Propellor choice by Mobile Marine in Axminster was spot on first time.

Went out from Lyme Regis at about 10am this morning with the engine riggers, very slight chop and swell but nothing to note. Engine started first time and ran like a sewing machine. Out of the harbour and on to the plane at 15knots, gentle cruise out at 20 knots to warm the engine up. WOT 47knots at 5600 rpm without trimming the engine Throttled back for a gentle cruise around at 30knots and 5gph fuel flow.

Hull cut through the slight chop, Ullmans worked a treat and with that silky smooth Yamaha - superb combination

Just need to get the grab rail on and it will be finished
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0834.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	79300   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0852.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	79301  
Old 29 April 2013, 17:15   #20