Old 27 January 2021, 21:29   #1

Town: Montreal
Boat name: Zodiac RIB 380
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 40hp Evinrude 4
New ignition cylinder for Zodiac YL380

HI all,

I have a Yachtline 380 Rib whose key sheared off halfway down the ignition slot (not on my watch!)...is there a clever way that I haven't though of (haven't thought of anything actually!) to extract the broken end of the key? The break is recessed close to 1/2" inside the slot so not easy to pinch it with anything. I guess worst case I can buy a new complete cylinder? As is I start and stop with the remaining end of the broken key, but any flathead screwdriver will work. It's not a huge deal except when I'm beaching the boat and want to raise the motor at the last moment it's pain to locate the slot with the flopping broken key, turn off the motor, then raise it all within a few seconds!

Cheers
Old 27 January 2021, 22:13   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Thought some good samaritan would have contacted since you first posted this.

These pictures are great for reference. https://www.rib.net/forum/f36/need-t...380-84408.html

Are you sure you can't split the throttle? That would be obvious route. Where there's a will there's a way. Take it you have the code on what's left of the key to order a new one, or a spare?

Not sure if this will work, but worth a shot. Remove the throttle from console, now spray penetrating release into the lock barrel such as PlusGas, rather than WD40. Next get a junior hacksaw blade with the clip at the end removed. Lube it up too.

With the remaining key can you put the barrel into the off stage where you would normal extract the key and at the same time insert the hacksaw blade? Hopefully you can insert and there's enough of a barb on the blade to pull the remaining part of the key out. Failing that, give it a knock on a hard surface to see if it jolts the remaining key section to move so you can extract it with a jewellers' screwdriver.
Old 27 January 2021, 22:27   #3

Make: Zodiac
Engine: 40hp Evinrude 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Thought some good samaritan would have contacted since you first posted this.

These pictures are great for reference. https://www.rib.net/forum/f36/need-t...380-84408.html

Are you sure you can't split the throttle? That would be obvious route. Where there's a will there's a way. Take it you have the code on what's left of the key to order a new one, or a spare?

Not sure if this will work, but worth a shot. Remove the throttle from console, now spray penetrating release into the lock barrel such as PlusGas, rather than WD40. Next get a junior hacksaw blade with the clip at the end removed. Lube it up too.

With the remaining key can you put the barrel into the off stage where you would normal extract the key and at the same time insert the hacksaw blade? Hopefully you can insert and there's enough of a barb on the blade to pull the remaining part of the key out. Failing that, give it a knock on a hard surface to see if it jolts the remaining key section to move so you can extract it with a jewellers' screwdriver.
Thanks for this, good idea that might work...!
Old 28 January 2021, 07:38   #4

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
https://www.amazon.co.uk/10Pcs-Funct.../dp/B0136MJ64E

and

Looks easy enough
Old 28 January 2021, 15:56   #5