Click Here to Login

Old 27 October 2012, 17:26   #1

Town: Ringwood
Boat name: xxx
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: 6hp outboard Suzuki
New FR285, Help with Folding Away

First time today inflated new Zodiac FR285 Acti V to do a dummy run and was a bit stressed folding it away afterwards. Are there any videos of anyone folding one away ready to go back in the bag?

I used a pump to deflate fully and tried to follow the limited instructions in the owners book but struggled a bit and I dont want to damage it before I use it, also i need it to go back a bit maller than i managed to fit in the back of my estate car.

Any tips welcome.
Old 27 October 2012, 18:04   #2

Town: Essex
Boat name: no name
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha F6 outboard
Best of luck - you'll need it

Just to let you know you're not alone with this problem.

I bought a Zodiac compact RIB 3mtr back in August. Like your boat, they say it folds down and slips into a carry bag for transportation on the roof of your car. Does it 'eck!!!

I took photos of every step of the initial unpacking of the boat and I used these when I tried to repack it. I tried for hours and hours to bag it - it simply doesn't fit. Finally the zip broke when I tried to squeeze it in.

I suspect they have machines which suck out all the air and fold the boat to within a nats. I've written to the dealer and told him how disappointed I am with the bag - I've paid for a feature I can't use. Maybe they'll offer me a one week residential training scheme where I can learn the exact method.

Anyway - I've given up on the bag or any hope of ever getting the boat back in it - and bought a trailer.

Please do post on here if you ever solve the problem. Whatever the outcome, I'm sure that like me you'll still enjoy the boat.
Old 27 October 2012, 18:55   #3

Town: Ringwood
Boat name: xxx
Length: under 3m
Engine: 6hp outboard Suzuki
I kinda got it back in but not without a few holes in the sides with bits poking through exposed, i'm glad it's not just me then
Old 27 October 2012, 19:03   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
There is a trick to doing it. This is Zodiac's mid 80s instructions for their Tourism, Grand Tourism, Futura and Grand Raid boats, etc. I'm sure the same technique will work for the FR boats too.

Release the inflation valves and allow the boat to deflate. Standing in the middle of the boat, pull the tubes together using the lace cuff so they meet in the middle. Standing at the transom, push it flat on the ground, then fold both cone ends in so they slightly overlap. Now, fold the transom over and over, pulling the tubes in. If you have someone else to help, get them to sit on the transom to expel air as you work your way to the bow. The bow should fold in before you finish up. If the boat has a painter fitted, use this to wrap around the entire boat and tie it off with a slip knot.

Zodiac used to supply their boats in bags (for the HD aluminium sections), but the boat itself went onto a drawstring sheet. This is easier, and might be an option if you can get hold of a spare one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	73626