Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 12 July 2008, 12:19   #1

Town: DC
Length: no boat
New and looking (310 w. 15hp)

Hello,
I just join up because I had an interesting experience on a RIB last year and have decided they are an amazing boat, much more versitle than anything else I've ever used so now I am looking for advice in buying one.

First off I'm looking for something capable of using in a river, lake, or maybe even bay, main purposes would just to be for cruising around. I am pretty young at the same time so I also have a pretty limited budget ($5k us would be max).
The boat I am currently looking at is a Avon 310? RIB (its 10'2") with a 2 stroke yamaha 15hp.

I wanted to get some opinions of the boat and motor like: how fast will it be? How is a 2 stroke 15 for power? is it reliable? will it only be fast with 1 person, and not even plane with 4 people (150lbs ea)? fuel consumption?

And if the general concensus is it will most likely meet my needs, what would be another suggestion to look for. (I would like something with some sort of console and a bit bigger engine, but that may not be possible with my budget)

Thanks,
Chris
Old 13 July 2008, 14:37   #2

Does anyone have any advice?
Old 13 July 2008, 14:48   #3

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_gts View Post
Does anyone have any advice?
Perhaps you could try RIBnet North America forum here

It's just the market is sightly different in the States, but if you can get one a 4m Avon Searider is the bussiness, look for second hand ones.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 14:58   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Is it a RIB or a SIB - does it have a solid hull or a flat/inflatable hull?
Old 13 July 2008, 15:07   #5

It is a RIB, fiberglass bottom
Old 13 July 2008, 17:12   #6

Town: Perth
Boat name: no name-
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Yamaha 2s
hey mate saw your post and joined up so i could reply, maybe i can help a little as i have nearly the exact same setup, i have a Zodiac Yatchline 310 with a fiberglass keel, Yamaha 15FMH 2stroke, i think its called a 15Z over there, i dont have much experience with avon ribs, in terms of speed it all depends on propping, with the yamaha 15 you could easly prop it to plane with 4 people, however top end will suffer. i run the stock 9 1/4 x 10 1/2 prop, which will give me around 40kmh give or take a few kmh with 1 person, with 2 i would estimate 35ish. its hard to tell i have not verified it by gps, with the stock prop 1 person it will launch onto the plane Very quickly, with 2 people the passenger will have to move to the front. 3 people similler deal,

with 4 people my setup will not plane, however you could always get 2 props. they are cheap as in the states. fuel consumption, per yamahas site is 7.2ltr absolute max, @ wot.

i usually see around 3-4 max, cruising quickly, the nice thing about those yamaha engines is the fuel curve is actually printed on the throttle , ive had this engine for 7 years and i have driven this boat 20kmh offshore no problems, the 15fmh is the best outboard i have ever owned, its quiter than my friends suzuki 4 stroke @ cruise.uses no fuel, ive never had to use the choke ever. to start it. great little engine.

in regards to handling, the boat handles reasonably well and deals with sea well for its size, they are very wet boats obviously.

im about to fit some maximarine planing fins to it which are supposed to help dramaticly, with low speed planing and whatnot .

if i was to do it all again, i would have to say that the 3.10 is perfect size to put ontop of my 4wd without having to go to a trailer. but i really would prefer a 3.8 as they have far more planing surface and will plane with 4 people with the same engine i have. / more space and are generally are more usable boat. if however like me you have to transport it without a trailer the 3.8 might be pushing it. if you look at zodiacs site. im not sure about avon, and compare the max load and hull speed to the 3.8 and 3.1 the 3.8 is far superior, as its rated to a top speed of 50 something.

if you want somethign that is a real rocket, get the avon 310 and put a light 25 -30 on it.

sorry for crap typing its late over here.
drop me a pm if you have any questions
Old 13 July 2008, 17:20   #7

Thanks, really good feed back! and do people ever complain about having to sit up on the side of the raft and it being uncomfortable?
Old 13 July 2008, 17:28   #8

no not at all, the only complaint from passengers is when you turn they feel like they are going to die, beacuse they have nothing to hold onto, its probly best for me to rig up some sandboard style feet bindingsand some ropes to hold onto, then it would be perfect, i have actually thrown people compleatly out of the boat before during a turn, ahah
Old 13 July 2008, 17:31   #9

another thing i can add, is that you can take 2 mates out and pull a surf board or a board board behind the boat, thats pretty sweet, if your worried about fuel costs, you can fill up the tank and go out all day and not even worry about fuel so its great like that also,

my only complaint with the whole boat is that its too cold to use mine at the moment
Old 13 July 2008, 20:52   #10

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 115
If you are looking at an Avon 3.10 with a Yam 15hp 2stroke this is a very similar set up that I had 20 years ago as a tender. We had a 2.80 with a 8hp 2 stroke as this fitted neatly into a cradle on deck but would have prefers the 3.10 but unfortunately it would have been just that little bit to big to fit on deck.

As a yacht tender these were terrific and we used it extensively to get out to reefs to go snorkelling reef walking etc. With 2 up it planed easily but you had to keep your weight forward. We knew other yachts with the 3.10 15hp exactly the same set up as your are looking at and in general they went two up with all their air bottles and diving kit without any problems.

We still have the 2.8 but have bought it a new 8hp 4stroke and my kids have used it when we have taken it over to the river Shannon and Loch Derg. The old Avons seem to go on for ever. It still hold air and only has one small patch.

But I think I should point out that this is a very flay bottomed RIB and in any chop it will be very wet and slam like crazy. You and any passengers will need to hang on and we had a number of webbing straps rigged around it to ensure we had plenty to hang on to.

Most of the people using this sight have much bigger ribs with deep V hulls. From what you are saying I suspect that something bigger would be more appropriate for you but I don’t know how far your $5k will go. Another meter makes a world of difference. What you are looking at is something that was designed say 25yrs ago as a yacht tender.

I have some pictures of my kids with friends on the Shannon a couple of years back which might give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheeeeee-1.gif
Views:	273
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	36288   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0252 c 1.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	36289   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0296-c 1.gif
Views:	282
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	36290  
Old 15 July 2008, 01:45   #11

Well I have spoken with a few with a few more people, sounds like I'm getting a pretty good deal $ 1900, I have till tomorrow to decide. I think I'm going to go for it though, May need to have the carbs rebuilt at most.
Any suggestions on a speed prop or are they pretty limited on those types of motors?
Old 16 July 2008, 21:08   #12

Well I got it, couldnt be more happy, lookin at mods to make now!!!