Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 18 August 2006, 20:55   #21

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
hello, interesting comparison....... we have a humber ocean pro 6.3m, which although a little bigger than your looking at, can be used as an example......the boat is absolutly solid, and everything seems solid, apart from one part which was the standar rear bench seat which doesnt feel so robust, but thats a minor, and you could choose different layouts. after two seasons use, the hull has proved itself again and again in all conditions, great in the rough! when its lumpy you look out and think, yep cud be bouncy, then when out although you realise some waves are big, the boat does nothing except imspire confidence! excellent hull with steep bow, which is nice, helps against stuffing etc associated with rough water boating.

tubes are excellent, and i love the workmanlike design, it looks good, performs very well, and was well priced! i found that i got much more boat for my money than other comparable brands!!! I admit though their finnishing isnt the best, eg just tiny finishing touches which you normally dont notice.....but then again it depends if your buying a boat for its 'looks' or for its ability. in my opinion the humber has both!

I am told the destroyer is very good also, i havent driven one, but am told they give a very soft, dry ride! but if i were choosing again, id still go for the ocean pro, which is also wider than the destroyer so allows for eg, side by side jockey seats.
Old 19 August 2006, 15:50   #22

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski
hello, interesting comparison....... we have a humber ocean pro 6.3m, which although a little bigger than your looking at, can be used as an example......the boat is absolutly solid, and everything seems solid, apart from one part which was the standar rear bench seat which doesnt feel so robust, but thats a minor, and you could choose different layouts. after two seasons use, the hull has proved itself again and again in all conditions, great in the rough! when its lumpy you look out and think, yep cud be bouncy, then when out although you realise some waves are big, the boat does nothing except imspire confidence! excellent hull with steep bow, which is nice, helps against stuffing etc associated with rough water boating.

tubes are excellent, and i love the workmanlike design, it looks good, performs very well, and was well priced! i found that i got much more boat for my money than other comparable brands!!! I admit though their finnishing isnt the best, eg just tiny finishing touches which you normally dont notice.....but then again it depends if your buying a boat for its 'looks' or for its ability. in my opinion the humber has both!

I am told the destroyer is very good also, i havent driven one, but am told they give a very soft, dry ride! but if i were choosing again, id still go for the ocean pro, which is also wider than the destroyer so allows for eg, side by side jockey seats.

Thanks, that's good to know. It was the high bow that initially attracted me to these boats and it does sound like it does a good job. Main priority is ability in a big sea followed by seating - I'm not too concerned about cosmetics as long as it's screwed together well :-)
Old 20 August 2006, 23:13   #23

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by al40
Thanks, that's good to know. It was the high bow that initially attracted me to these boats and it does sound like it does a good job. Main priority is ability in a big sea followed by seating - I'm not too concerned about cosmetics as long as it's screwed together well :-)
No worries there then, they are certainly well screwed together boats......solid!
Old 20 August 2006, 23:54   #24

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski
No worries there then, they are certainly well screwed together boats......solid!
I now own my son's Destroyer 5.3, Merc 90 4st. He used it almost exclusively from the age of 15 to 18 (when he went off to learn to drive a container ship).

It survived him. The Gulf of Corryvreckan is only about eight miles away - you can imagine where a seafaring teenager would play with his RIB, now can't you?

I take it gently (relatively) and have always felt safe and secure, though I've spent most of my life at sea in sailing boats and big ships and been wary of small open power boats. The seakeeping abilities are impressive to my mind, though it's the only RIB I've any real experience of, so can't compare.

We bought it new from Humber in 2000. They were very helpful and friendly and obviously cared about the boats and customers. Solid, safe boats are a priority - and satisfied customers. They don't pander to fashion if they feel it's not seamanlike. No flash showroom either (well, not in 2000), just an honest Yorkshire factory yard and their own river frontage so you can have a test drive. I liked them, but then I'm a Yorkshireman too and don't go for too much flashiness. They're nearer to Scotland too. :-)

Cheers Tony
Old 03 October 2006, 14:15   #25

IBWET - Just tried to send you a PM but you mailbox is full!

Thanks to everyone who has provided input on this thread. Went with Ribcraft 5.3 in the end.
Old 03 October 2006, 21:59   #26

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
good choice, awesome boat,,
Old 09 October 2006, 11:09   #27

Town: Shropshire
Boat name: She's Gorn!
Make: No boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Nada
It just so happens there's a very nice Ribcraft 5.85 for sale in the used boat section.
Old 27 October 2006, 16:53   #28

New boat arrived

New boat arrived today - Ribcraft 5.3. Now starts the long task of getting it all fitted out (as you can see, it's pretty bare!). Excellent job by the ribcraft guys. Can't wait to try it out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3752.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	22816   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3759.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	22817  
Old 27 October 2006, 17:17   #29

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
I see the patch you were talking about,yep I'd be pi55ed too! see you down there tomorrow with my screwdriver...
Old 27 October 2006, 18:32   #30

Town: Belfast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Suzuki 140 4/stroke
RIBase
nice boat same layout + colour as the one iv'e ordered

Have fun + enjoy