Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 18 September 2020, 15:58   #1

Town: Colorado, Mexico, Alaska
Boat name: Nekton
Make: Nor'Sea27
Length: 9m +
Engine: Diesel
Need suggestions of small 2.4m(8’)-3m(10’) RIBs that have a decent V or deep V hull

Short version:
I am looking for recommendations for small 2.4m(8’)-3m(10’) RIBS that have a decent V or deep V. Current models help but more so older models as I am looking on the used market. I find even the hulls advertised as V or deep V to be too flat.

Long version:
LONG LONG LONG time reader of this forum. First time poster. Many threads here compare and contrast planing vs V hulls. Few are focused on short boats <10’ LOA.
I am a fish biologists specializing in ecotoxicology. Freshwater in my home state. Marine when on vacation/sabbatical. I have been restoring an old heavy displacement full keel sailboat for ocean travel, recreation and research. I feel rollups are best for sailing because the windage of a ridged boat on deck in a storm is a liability. But, I will need a tender that can help lower and raise sensors and experimental components, access intertidal zones, access pockets of fjords and estuaries. Also travel many miles away from the sailboat. Because of the limited deck space I have to find a small RIB. ~7ft (~2.1m) when deflated. Many threads here focus on the topic that flat bottom RIBs do not handle as well as deep V, my experience agrees. (flat: initial stability is too stiff. Steering in waves is less controlled. But it planes quick). Yet, when you look at reviews of small RIB tenders in sailing literature (mags, forums, websites) it seems the boats with the best reviews have the shallowest V.
In example, Here we see the APEX 8 being raved about:
https://www.practical-sailor.com/bel...ex-aria-zodiac
APEX makes awesome long lived boats, I know. Many sailors rave about them. Apex calls this a V hull. But, their V looks to be less deep than most. See the uploaded photo:

It looks flat with a little skeg like hump in it.
The authors here and elsewhere dwell on the asset of “quick to plane”. Is it that sailors are blinded by the goal of planning with a small motor because we have to pass the motor over the rail every time we inflate the boat? And that we are typically anchored in calm waters and not exploring outside the bay when it is crappy weather?
I am willing to compromise planing with limited horse power and initial stability if it improves safety in waves, chop and swells of Alaska’s intertidal rocks.

Can anyone suggest brands and models with a deepish V but in the small size class of 2.4m(8’)-3m(10’). Ideally 7 feet long or less when deflated. I know that is smaller than normally discussed on this website, I thank you for your help.

I am open to new models but more so keen to hear of models from the last 2 decades as I search on the used markets. I am in North America. I have a two stroke 15HP but willing to trade down. I prefer fiberglass and hypalon but am open to aluminum and PVC. I hate double floors and storage boxes.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions. Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00k0k_4GAdW8prLnV_0ak07K_1200x900.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	135146  
Old 18 September 2020, 16:54   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I think you will struggle to get a deep v on such a small boat Pete to be honest
Old 18 September 2020, 17:07   #3

Thanks for the input. I have been looking for many years. I agree. Short boats by nature have smaller draft, but I felt if anyone knows of obscure models/brands that might maximize this quality, it would be here.
Old 18 September 2020, 17:32   #4

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Might be worth having a look at the Mercury Ocean Runner 290. Not exactly a deep V but certainly more V than most...at least at the bow.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/en-gb/e.../ocean-runner/

We have the 340 and it’s a hoot, much more capable than its diminutive size suggests.

This dude’s having a blast on his 290;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	166FCB4F-5E63-49BD-8BC6-21D52B3BFE85.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	135147  
Old 18 September 2020, 17:46   #5

Thank you for this suggestion.
I was targeting used 280 Mercury Dynamics based only on my subjective interpretation of the photos, you comment helps. They are very rare here. But I will keep it on the short list. The other thing I like about mercury, they appear to tolerate a heavier (larger HP) motor than other ribs of similar LOA.
Old 18 September 2020, 19:25   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmus View Post
I prefer fiberglass and hypalon but am open to aluminum and PVC. I hate double floors and storage boxes.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions. Pete
How are you with Pina Coladas & Getting Caught in the Rain?

IMO, you're looking for a mare's nest - it's not really feasible to find a deep/medium vee in a boat that length
Old 18 September 2020, 21:43   #7

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Not “deep” but Avon did a rover 310 rib possibly a 280 also if any made it stateside I have no idea.....

There are some posh tenders of that size but probably not what you are looking for https://www.williamsjettenders.com/tenders/minijet/
An SR4 might be possible? At least there are a few about?

Some info here
Rover Ribs
Old 19 September 2020, 07:49   #8

Town: Llanfairfechan
Boat name: Labrax
Make: Quicksilver
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
My Quicksilver AluRib 270 is deeper than the boat in your picture, although not super deep.
Old 20 September 2020, 04:15   #9

Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
A RIB will handle rougher weather than other forms of craft hence the title of the "4 wheel drive of the sea."

You want to take a small RIB out into rough weather. I have a 3.8 RIB and certainly check the weather before going out. Heading into a small chop unless your a dare devil is a slow process.

Also you appear to want to inflate and deflate your RIB.

Maybe advice from more experienced RIBBERS because as I understand it, it is not recommended. But apart from that unless you have a large blower on board, it would be time consuming.

Tags
apex 8, rib, small, tender