Old 23 February 2013, 18:24   #1

Town: Orpington and Lymington
Boat name: Charrnah
Make: 6.5m Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 150
Nav lights

The nav lights on the rib I just purchased are incorrect and need replacing it has red / green but no all round white light so was thinking about replacing them for the correct type.

Been looking around my options seem to be mounting a combo style such as http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/navig...on-light.bhtml or to buy separates and mount them on the a frame but my a frame doesn't have side plates so that could be problematical for starters, then I I would also need to find a way of running the cables inside the a frame itself is there an easy way to get them through?

Not sure what the best way to do it is! The easiest would probably be the combo set

I added some pics they might not be the best but that's all I have at the moment!

What do you lot think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2153346724.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	76957   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-792657772.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	76958   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-995257002.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	76959  
Old 23 February 2013, 18:29   #2

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Someone has had a mare there...

The lights could be replaced to white so they are back to back but then you would have to move the green and red onto the sides of the A frame.

I'm sure you can get some tabs welded on in 316 stainless steel, the cables shouldn't be much of a problem.
Old 23 February 2013, 18:33   #3

Looking at your pic again... do you already have the tabs but someone has bolted on a cleat?
Old 23 February 2013, 18:34   #4

Yeah why bother if not done correctly! Just not sure how easy it is to mount them on the side if the a frame as there's no mounting plates!

Is it easy to get the cable round the a frame corners etc never had to do it before don't really fancy taking the a frame off!
Old 23 February 2013, 18:38   #5

Ah yeah forgot about those cleats! (Boat is 90 miles away from me right now) only been out on it three times! ( roll on warmer weather!)

I could then just remove the cleats and put side lights on there instead .. Could be an option..

Another question is the power cable I need any idea on what it should be rated etc?

Kind of new to owning my own rib so have to learn as I go!
Old 23 February 2013, 18:43   #6

Well the job is not that bad, you will need two Aqua Signal white lights and the correct cable and connectors.

Is the boat near Southampton?
Old 23 February 2013, 18:46   #7

Yes whisper it's in its new home in lymington Im down that way next weekend hoping to look at the lights and get out on the water at some point
Old 23 February 2013, 18:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Well the job is not that bad, you will need two Aqua Signal white lights and the correct cable and connectors.

Is the boat near Southampton?
Won't I need two whites a red and a green? The red and green are an all in one unit at the mo as far as I can remember
Old 23 February 2013, 19:18   #9

Yep that sounds right I couldn't see from the pic.

Electrical : Navigation Lights - Yachtshop

But have a think though, wait until you get to the boat and have a good look.

Rigging your boat is a very personal thing so it's whatever you feel more happy with
Old 23 February 2013, 19:22   #10

Unless you can fit an all round white light, then its sorted anyway ?
Old 23 February 2013, 19:52   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Looking at the pics, someone has fitted a green facing forwards (kinda) and I presume a "matching" red facing backwards (kinda). An @rse of a mess.

Whisper is correct - get two 180 degree whites or wig that tab off the top of the A-frame and fit a single 360 degree white (proper job). Green and red to the sides of the A-frame.

(Tidy looking RIB otherwise!)
Old 23 February 2013, 23:33   #12

Length: 3m +
I think there is a ???90degree (maybe 120degree) red and green on the front of the tab.

Depending how they mount (as whisper says - you need the boat there to look) they might mount on the side of the frames. Then I'd want to move the tab to be horizontal and stick an all round white on it.

I wouldn't put the white directly on top of the coloured as it will bleach the colour out to the distant viewer...

Never had to feed a wire down an a-frame but assuming the tube is hollow inside it *should* be straighforward for the side ones. Drill the hole in the tube at light level. Drill the exit hole at the base and feed some U shaped thin stiff wire into the bottom hole. Push enough in that the wire will go round the inner circumfrance of the tube. Mark a length of fishing line with the distance between the two holes. Put the fishing line with a weight on it into the hole and let it run past the mark. Assuming gravity is working (!!) your weight is below the wire U - pull the both sides of the U and you should get the fishing line... use the line to feed the wire.

Top wire will be harder, ideally use the green red wire already there to do the job. Stiff wire needed to push along the horizontal (or maybe the weight with a good tilt on the boat to the appropriate side). Then use the hole for the side light as an access point to do the vertical.

Wire size - depends on what light you fit... if its LED it could be a lot thinner... Several factors will affect your choice of wire thickness:

Current Draw. Most nav lights are 10W bulbs, which allowing for a low battery would draw about 1amp. For safety you might assume 1.5amps.

Cable length. You get voltage drop over wires which is more pronounced at lower voltages (i.e. 12V systems). You need to look at the cable run. Where is the battery, the switch and the ducting route. I take it thats a 6m RIB? So 5m from console to the frame, alow a 1m from battery to console? and then 2m up the frame? Thats 16 there and back ~ 55ft.

Is each bulb running its own wire to the battery and back or will you run say to the A Frame and then split the port & startboard (you never need to switch red on without green) so in effect you are running 20W? Or run all 3 (red, white & green) back through the one ground wire - 30W. That is still only 3amps.

Size of fuse? I'll guess the smallest fuse you have is about 5amps. So the wire needs to run 5amps otherwise the wire melts before the fuse blows if you have a fault!

So if we assume a current draw of 1.5amps/bulb and a cable run of 55ft, ( Stealth 316 - Wire Resistance and Voltage Drop Calculator ) Most people say you should aim for <2-3% voltage loss (= 0.36V), not sure that for incandescant bulbs they are that fussy but you are probably looking at a 16 AWG (multistrand) wire for a single bulb or 12 AWG for all three using the one wire. A 12 AWG wire should be OK with a 5amp load on it so a 5amp fuse would be OK, and I think most 16G wire would be OK at 5amp too but worth checking when buying that its OK or use a smaller fuse.
Old 24 February 2013, 04:39   #13

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
You could just leave the Red/Green bi- light as it is and mount an All around White light above it on a short mast though the rule is that it has to be at least 1 metre above it .

Then If you put a separate switch on the white you could then switch off the Red/Green & use the All around white just on its own as an Anchor light .

Even if you do away with the Bi- light & mount 2 seperate lights on the outer A frame you will still need a White at least 1metre above , either an all around or a forward facing ( Steaming ) one then you would need a seperate white (sternlight) too.
you would still need an All around White for use as an anchor light so you might as well just fit an All around white in the first place .

For the cable use (tinned )wire otherwise normal copper wire will just corrode away within a few years .

Also using the Bi light which will usually just have a single bulb does away with using up more electrical power than if you have 2 seperate nav lights .
Old 24 February 2013, 08:14   #14

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboards
must say its one best sea rider ive seen
Old 24 February 2013, 09:35   #15

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Hi
I take it there is power to the lights already there?

If so just underneath them on the A frame plate there are two sets of holes. I'd be looking at adding a small plate and using these mounts to hold the red and green lights - or you may find some that fit the holes already. May have to move the flag though. I'd then put the flag into the middle of the plate and mount a single white on the end of the flag - can't see a flag at night so can remove when needed. May not quite be 1m but won't be far off.

Then add a switch unit at the back by the lights so you can pick navs or white.

If you don't have a power supply to the navs already there you can do as above and feed through, cheat and cable tie on the back of the frame - or use battery powered lights if you don't intend on using them often.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2013, 09:46   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon0310 View Post
must say its one best sea rider ive seen
I don't think it is a searider, is it an Avon 560?
Old 24 February 2013, 11:33   #17

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboards
andy your right
Old 24 February 2013, 17:06   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

I don't think it is a searider, is it an Avon 560?
Thanks for the input guys! I have ordered some sure signal 25s thought about removing the cleats and using those plates but I think once the ribs up on the plane they will be too low and obscured! Also ordered two mounting brackets (can always return them if they not needed)

What I think I'm going to do is move port and starboard out to each side of the a-frame (top) and then put an all round white in the middle not sure I will have 1m between port and starboard lights but at least it will be more correct... Will think about putting the all round white on a separate switch so it can also be used as an anchor light!

Also bought myself a Garmin gpsmap 551s + transom mount transducer! With the cover I'm having made up that's my bonus gone! These ribs can become expensive toys

An avon adventurer.. 560 (not very popular on here it seems!)
Old 24 February 2013, 17:09   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner-paul View Post

Thanks for the input guys! I have ordered some sure signal 25s thought about removing the cleats and using those plates but I think once the ribs up on the plane they will be too low and obscured! Also ordered two mounting brackets (can always return them if they not needed)

What I think I'm going to do is move port and starboard out to each side of the a-frame (top) and then put an all round white in the middle not sure I will have 1m between port and starboard lights but at least it will be more correct... Will think about putting the all round white on a separate switch so it can also be used as an anchor light!

Also bought myself a Garmin gpsmap 551s + transom mount transducer! With the cover I'm having made up that's my bonus gone! These ribs can become expensive toys

An avon adventurer.. 560 (not very popular on here it seems!)
1m between all round white and port and starboard!

Hopefully if the gear arrives by the weekend I can fit my chart plotter, take her out for a test run on saturday and then think about the lights on Sunday
Old 24 February 2013, 17:12   #20

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Don't forget the pics once you've played

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote